A Modest Proposal by Jonathan Swift

A Modest Proposal (1729)

by Jonathan Swift

English (29)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (30)
A classic satire or parody. The logic deserves thought even during our time. Would many societal problems exist if this philosophy were not alive to some degree? ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |
I get the point, but yuck. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
I came across this book through Serial Reader App. This book is actually 'A macabre proposal'. I was horrified while I was reading it (because I imagine things in my mind while reading). The satire is really good. It is a straight-faced satire on the problems of society. ( )
  nalinisriv | Jul 3, 2018 |
Ricordi di una "provocazione". Quando insegnavo, ricordo che, tra le tante "provocazioni" che proponevo, (qualcuno diceva che lo facevo con "sadismo"), questo "pamphlet" di J. Swift aveva uno dei primi posti. Ritrovarlo ora in versione italiana mi fa un certo effetto. Una cosa è leggere la "provocazione" di Jonathan in inglese un'altra è leggerla in italiano. Ma l'autore per me resta uno dei grandi della letteratura di tutti i tempi. Non a caso Swift lasciò scritto il suo epitaffio da essere inciso sulla sua tomba al suo trapasso: "Ubi saeva indignatio ulterius cor lacerare nequit" ... ( )
  AntonioGallo | Nov 2, 2017 |
A novel suggestion as to how to manage an overabundance of children. ( )
  brakketh | Jul 6, 2016 |

Jonathan Swiftprimary authorall editionscalculated
Baskins, LeonardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is a melancholy object to those, who walk through this great town, or travel in the country, when they see the streets, the roads and cabbin-doors crowded with beggars of the female sex, followed by three, four, or six children, all in rags, and importuning every passenger for an alms.
This is an essay (sometimes mislabeled a short story), do NOT combine with any collections.

A Modest Proposal, is a Juvenalian satirical essay written and published anonymously by Jonathan Swift in 1729. Swift suggests that the impoverished Irish might ease their economic troubles by selling their children as food for rich gentlemen and ladies. This satirical hyperbole mocks heartless attitudes towards the poor, as well as British policy toward the Irish in general.

How do you solve the problem of poverty? By letting the Irish sell their children to be eaten by wealthy ladies and gentlemen, of course! This satirical short work by Jonathan Swift is a classic look at the cost of poverty.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,176,853 books! | Top bar: Always visible