Nimona by Noelle Stevenson

Nimona

by Noelle Stevenson (Writer and Illustrator)

Gunnerkrigg Court: Orientation by Thomas Siddell (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Clever sci-fi/fantasy fusions with similar art styles, featuring unique young female protagonists.

When Nimona comes and announces she's there to be his sidekick, the Evil Villain Lord Ballister Blackheart has some reservations. Her shapeshifting skills could be just what he needs to defeat his sworn enemy, Sir Ambrosious Goldenloin, but her temper might get in the way of their plans. This is a funny and somewhat satirical fantasy graphic novel that I thoroughly enjoyed.
  Breanne.Lawson | Jul 18, 2018 |
It took a while for me to get into [b: Nimona|19351043|Nimona|Noelle Stevenson|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1412626919s/19351043.jpg|27411330]. At first it seemed like everything I expected a web-comic to be. Irreverent, a bit too much of random humor, and altogether only a silly collection of stories meant to evoke a bit of a chuckle and little more. As [b: Nimona|19351043|Nimona|Noelle Stevenson|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1412626919s/19351043.jpg|27411330] went on, however, it became so much more. By the final third of the book I couldn't put it down and was just racing to the end... and an end that came all too soon, honestly. [a: Noelle Stevenson|6887314|Noelle Stevenson|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1407089695p2/6887314.jpg] put together a great world that I want more of, but that I also appreciate stopped when it did. It would have been all too easy to carry on and lose the impact the ending created.

[b: Nimona|19351043|Nimona|Noelle Stevenson|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1412626919s/19351043.jpg|27411330] is a shapeshifter who wants to be in the employ of the biggest villain on the block, one Ballister Blackheart. While Blackheart has been content with the normal run of the mill villainy, Nimona immediately wants to escalate it, and seems to have no qualms about many of the things that Blackheart expressly forbids himself from doing - such as killing, and wanton destruction. Needless to say, these activities attract the attention of the ruling governing body (the Institute), and their top champion Sir Goldenloin. However, all may not be as it seems... the Institute may just be up to so much more.

While the above synopsis may make it seem like any run of the mill YA webcomic fare, [b: Nimona|19351043|Nimona|Noelle Stevenson|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1412626919s/19351043.jpg|27411330] succeeds where others fail. The writing is clever, and ultimately subtle. The characters are compelling, and they all have rich backstories that consistently inform their decisions in decidedly non-cliche ways. There's a lot of good in this comic, and it well deserves its great reputation. I'm not going to hesitate to recommend it to my friends. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
This is a delightful and touching comic about a villain, his new shape-shifting sidekick Nimona, and a hero who works for the not-so-great Institution. Noelle Stevenson set her story about what is means to be a hero/monster in a modern-medieval kingdom that has both peasants and TV news cycles, so that's a fun mix. Also, Nimona is a complex character that so many people can relate to. I now want to pick up Stevenson's other comic, Lumberjanes (which I hear is also fantastic). ( )
  kaylaraeintheway | May 31, 2018 |

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Why, man, why?!

I'm gonna start this review off extremely honest; I have NO idea why I put off reading this for so long. I've seen a few good things about it which caused me to buy the book from Barnes and Noble a few months ago and just never thought to just take a little peek into what I'd be getting myself into.

I don't read too many graphic novels or comics (unless it deals with Deadpool), but every now and then, there's one that draws me in like this one did. Again, upon picking up this book to actually read, I didn't know what to expect, and after reading the first chapter, I was completely hooked.

To me, the style of the characters, the humor, the scenes... (more via website) ( )
  VesperDreams | May 20, 2018 |
Exactly as good as everyone says it is. Some of the panels I wanted to like cut out and put on my bedroom wall. The story was so moving and I was so into it by the end. It was just a really great story with really great art--it was like soft but also conveyed the dark parts? Incredible stuff. ( )
  aijmiller | May 13, 2018 |

Stevenson, NoelleWriter and Illustratorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fitzsimmons, ErinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all the monster girls
What! Who are you? How did you get in here?

The graphic novel debut from rising star Noelle Stevenson, based on her beloved and critically acclaimed web comic, which Slate awarded its Cartoonist Studio Prize, calling it "a deadpan epic."

Nemeses! Dragons! Science! Symbolism! All these and more await in this brilliantly subversive, sharply irreverent epic from Noelle Stevenson. Featuring an exclusive epilogue not seen in the web comic, along with bonus conceptual sketches and revised pages throughout, this gorgeous full-color graphic novel is perfect for the legions of fans of the web comic and is sure to win Noelle many new ones.

But as small acts of mischief escalate into a vicious battle, Lord Blackheart realizes that Nimona's powers are as murky and mysterious as her past. And her unpredictable wild side might be more dangerous than he is willing to admit.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:44 -0400)

"Nimona is an impulsive young shapeshifter with a knack for villainy. Lord Ballister Blackheart is a villain with a vendetta. As sidekick and supervillain, Nimona and Lord Blackheart are about to wreak some serious havoc. Their mission: prove to the kingdom that Sir Ambrosius Goldenloin and his buddies at the Institution of Law Enforcement and Heroics aren't the heroes everyone thinks they are. But as small acts of mischief escalate into a vicious battle, Lord Blackheart realizes that Nimona's powers are as murky and mysterious as her past. And her unpredictable wild side might be more dangerous than he is willing to admit"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,233,612 books! | Top bar: Always visible