Ancillary Mercy by Ann Leckie

Ancillary Mercy

by Ann Leckie

Series: Imperial Radch (3)

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are optimistic space operas that focus on the characters and their relationships.

English (71)  French (1)  All languages (72)
This is a final book of the trilogy. The first volume won both Hugo and Nebula (as well as a few more awards) and all three volumes were nominated for the highest SFF awards. At the same time all this acclaim hasn’t done this series great for me. It has some interesting ideas but story is a bit bland. I don’t mean that tea drinking from thousand year old china while discussing politics is bad for a space opera, I actually like the relatively peaceful narrative. However, author’s attempt to make the protagonist a conflicted person but at the same time a do-gooder is not entirely successful.
The first book set the universe and introduced characters. The second one shifted from the grand scale to a single system and to “improving the world in tiny steps”. The final book mixed both approaches making grand swipes but at the same time remaining on a small scale, at least in astronomic terms.
The author improved her style through the books, adding a comic relief with Presger translator and a new major character. We once again meet (one of) the Emperor of the Radch and have adventures on the tea-growing planet and on the station above.
Overall an interesting read but I cannot call it great
  Oleksandr_Zholud | Jan 9, 2019 |
I liked the conclusion of the Ancillary trilogy well enough, although to me it seemed like there was a lot of recapping dialogue. But I thoroughly enjoyed Translator Zeiat -- she is probably my favourite character of the whole trilogy. The story wrapped up well, too. The trilogy as a whole is quite interesting. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Nov 30, 2018 |
Great ending to a fantastic series. The last book takes a different theme then the previous books, but it is a very satisfactory book and conclusion to the series. ( )
  renbedell | Oct 25, 2018 |
Strong finish. Still a lot of room left in this universe, so I won’t be surprised if she comes back to it. ( )
  Jon_Hansen | Oct 2, 2018 |
This book. This TRILOGY. It's perfect. I loved it and am off to go read literally everything else by Ann Leckie that I can find. ( )
  whatsmacksaid | Sep 21, 2018 |

Ann Leckieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
One moment asleep.

Spaceship friendships bloom;
Station joins in too, helping;
Thwart the evil Lord.
(pickupsticks)

"For a moment, things seemed to be under control for Breq, the soldier who used to be a warship. Then a search of Athoek Station's slums turns up someone who shouldn't exist, and a messenger from the mysterious Presger empire arrives, as does Breq's enemy, the divided and quite possibly insane Anaander Mianaai--ruler of an empire at war with itself"--Page 4 of cover.… (more)

Ann Leckie is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,799,479 books! | Top bar: Always visible