Strider by Beverly Cleary

Strider (1991)

by Beverly Cleary

Other authors: Paul O. Zelinsky (Illustrator)

Series: Leigh Botts (2)

"Strider" is a worthy sequel to the excellent "Dear Mr. Henshaw".

Leigh is two years older, and handling life with his divorced mother better than when he was only 12. While on the beach with his best friend, Barry, they come across a dog that is sitting there, looking as if he's lost his best friend.

Apparently the dog has been abandoned, and the boys decide to adopt "Strider", with join custody.

But more is happening to Leigh than just a new dog: his father is still trying to get back with his ex-wife, Leigh's mother, who is not interested, his English teacher is making him crazy, and there's a new boy who takes issue with Leigh's new shirt.

This is not just a "feel good" story, but a story about adolescence and how one boy handles the changes in his life. I was really impressed with how Ms. Cleary handled an older subject (Leigh is 14) and the serious subjects of divorce and friendship.

Highly recommended, but read "Dear Mr. Henshaw" first. ( )
  fuzzi | Apr 23, 2012 |
I was amazing to find there was more to Leigh's story! I had the horrors that it would end up being a dead dog story, but this was a sweet coming of age tale of a boy fighting free of his feckless father, and negotiating friendships. ( )
  francescadefreitas | Dec 19, 2010 |
It's been several years since Leigh Botts last wrote in his journal, but he finds it and starts writing about his freshman year of high school. Things are going good for Leigh - he's got a best friend, Barry, and they're sharing custody of an abandoned dog they found on the beach. But sharing custody of Strider soon gets more complicated than Leigh could have imagined. Can his friendship with Barry survive? And if so, will it mean giving up the dog he's come to love?

Again, Beverly Cleary gives us a tween boy narrator dealing with his emotions, with finding friends in high school, with fitting in, with divorced parents, with loneliness, with finding out what he's good at... And MAJOR props for a book about a dog in which the DOG DOES NOT DIE. Whew. I can't believe it took me so long to read this book!

The narration is simple, but effective. I really enjoyed the audiobook.

More on the blog: http://www.abbythelibrarian.com/2010/07/audiobook-review-strider-by-beverly.html ( )
  abbylibrarian | Jul 6, 2010 |
The chapter book "Strider" is a good book. The book uses the same character from the book, "Dear Mr. Henshaw." Leigh and his mother now live apartments, where Leigh and his friend Barry find a dog. They named the dog Stider. Since the both found the dog together they decided to have joint custody. This causes tension between the boys because Leight does not want Barry to have his time with Strider. Leigh uses Strider to fill other voids that he has in his life. Overall I felt as though this was a good story and a great addition to any teachers library. ( )
  jlowens4 | May 2, 2010 |
This cute little sequel to Dear Mr. Henshaw is just as good as the original book. If you haven't read the first one, it stands very nicely by itself. Both books speak poignantly about how divorce, in this case an absent father, can affect a child. In this book the main character, Leigh, two years older, is more comfortable with the way things are, and is well on the way in learning to accept his parents as they are and still managing to be all boy. ( )
  anneofia | Sep 24, 2009 |

Beverly Clearyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zelinsky, Paul O.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Malcolm
This afternoon, as Mom was leaving for work at the hospital, she said for the millionth time, "Leigh, please clean up your room. There is no excuse for such a mess. And don't forget the junk under your bed."
I had never known Dad to act so much like a father before.
Problem solving, and I don't mean algebra, seems to be my life's work. Maybe it's everyone's life's work.

Strider has a new habit. Whenever we stop, he places his paw on my foot. It isn't an accident because he always does it. I like to think he doesn't want to leave me.

Can a stray dog change the life of a teenage boy? It looks as if Strider can. He's a dog that loves to run; because of Strider, Leigh Botts finds himself running -- well enough to join the school track team. Strider changes Leigh on the inside, too, as he finally begins to accept his parents' divorce and gets to know a redheaded girl he's been admiring. With Strider's help, Leigh finds that the future he once hated to be asked about now holds something he never expected: hope.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:37 -0400)

In a series of diary entries, Leigh tells how he comes to terms with his parents' divorce, acquires joint custody of an abandoned dog, and joins the track team at school.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,242,799 books! | Top bar: Always visible