Murder on the Links by Agatha Christie

Murder on the Links (1923)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Hercule Poirot Mystery (2)

Recently added byyoboseiyo, rena75, whiff
Legacy LibrariesCarl Sandburg

English (60)  Spanish (2)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (64)
A fairly early Agatha Christie novel involving Hercule Poirot, narrated by his friend Hastings. They travel to France in response to an urgent letter, only to find that they are too late to prevent a tragedy. Poirot's investigations are somewhat hampered by the French police, and also by various involved folk evidently not telling the truth.

Well-paced writing with a good plot, with somewhat flat characters - but that's not unusual for Christie. There's a low-key romance, too, and some mildly amusing banter here and there. A good diversion, available in Kindle form as well as various print editions. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 14, 2019 |
In which a panicked note to Hastings leads to murder…

You can’t go wrong with Poirot and Hastings, although "Murder on the Links" is a complicated affair. Christie wasn’t yet at the height of her powers, but she had mastered these characters in the intervening short stories, so the second Poirot novel proves a strong indicator of things to come. The mystery is solidly written, forcing Poirot’s little grey cells to work overtime, and there are some nice character dynamics. If there’s a flaw, it’s that it feels too perfectly constructed, as if no one could actually commit this murder.

Amusingly, Christie had already grown tired of Hastings (or, rather, the expectation that he appear as her constant narrator), and the seeds are sown here that will see him gone for Argentina, to return only intermittently, by the time Poirot returns to the novel format in "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd".

Three-and-a-half stars.

Poirot ranking: 18th out of 38 ( )
  therebelprince | Oct 30, 2018 |
Poirot receives a letter from a man named Renauld asking for help. When he and Dr. Watkins respond, the man is found dead. Poirot finds that Renauld got away with murder and a stolen fortune 20 years ago. Another Agatha Christie book.
  taurus27 | May 6, 2018 |
this was just alright for me. usually christie is reliably comfortable, but this one was a bit of a mess in its plotting and characters. ( )
  Booktrovert | Apr 7, 2018 |
"I retired with what dignity I could command; Having done my errands, I returned to the hotel. I understood next to nothing of what had occurred. The events of the night seemed fantastic and impossible. Nobody would answer my questions. Nobody had seemed to hear them. Angrily, I flung myself into bed, and slept the sleep of the bewildered and utterly exhausted."

Existential Hastings is literally all of us in 2017. ( )
1 vote subabat | Mar 19, 2018 |

Agatha Christieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fraser, HughNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gibbs, ChristopherCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moffatt, JohnStarring cast membersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

To My Husband

a fellow enthusiast for detective stories

and to whom I am indebted for much

helpful advice and criticism
I believe that a well-known anecdote exists to the effect that a young writer, determined to make the commencement of his story forcible and original enough to catch and rivet the attention of the most blasé of editors, penned the following sentence: '"Hell!" said the Duchess.'
BBC Radio drama ISBNs: 1483043223, 1483043215, 0792756185, 1408482037, 0563510110.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425067947, Mass Market Paperback)

A millionaire's been found stabbed in the back on his private golf course. Hercule Poirot finds no shortage of suspects in the victim's family tree, but even he is surprised when the killer strikes again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:07 -0400)

An urgent cry for help brings Poirot to France. But he arrives too late to save his client, whose brutally stabbed body now lies face downwards in a shallow grave on a golf course. But why is the dead man wearing his son's overcoat? And who was the impassioned love-letter in the pocket for? Before Poirot can answer these questions, the care is turned upside down by the discovery of a second, identically murdered corpse.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,423,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible