Everything, Everything (2015)

by Nicola Yoon

3,5852172,833 (3.94)1 / 54
"The story of a teenage girl who's literally allergic to the outside world. When a new family moves in next door, she begins a complicated romance that challenges everything she's ever known. The narrative unfolds via vignettes, diary entries, texts, charts, lists, illustrations, and more"--
    I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson (beyondthefourthwall)
    beyondthefourthwall: Reaching out to new romance and new opportunities gradually unravels a familial deadlock situation cemented into place by grief, repression, and a multilayered mystery.

English (214)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All languages (217)
Recommended by a friend to read before seeing the movie, I did so. It was an easy book to read, some "chapters" being a definition. Some of her definitions were quite clever. The main character has a deadly disease that requires her to not only stay inside her controlled home, but to hardly have any visitors. She is a loving teenager who happens to fall in love with the boy next door. It is a sweet love story and I felt was written well. Looking forward to seeing the movie! ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
12% in, at the first appearance of The Bundt, I was about 80% certain that *insert twist spoiler here*. By 26% in, when Carla lets the first meeting happen, I was more like 99% certain. If I were in the intended target age, I probably wouldn't have guessed it until much later, but the extra life experience between a 16 to 20 year old and a um...*coughs* well, much older person ;) makes all the difference in how people will see this story, I think. Reading the whole story (and the carefully placed holes in the story, where certain things are Not being done or said) with an eye on the problem being with her mother leaves you with a very different feeling. It was still good, Maddy and Olly were very cute, but it was also sad in many ways. ( )
  Malaraa | Apr 26, 2022 |
This was a really entertaining read, and my first by Nicola Yoon. Maddie was a terrific character, and I loved the entertaining way this kept me hooked on the plot from start to finish. The romance and friendship with Oliver was cute and I loved her exploration of life.

I loved the premise behind this story and the great issues about disability and quality of life that it raises... a daughter who was so sick she had to be confined from the world in order to keep her alive, and the questions that raises. Maddie's case is an extreme example, but so many people in the world who live with chronic illness and chronic pain go through this struggle daily as their medical conditions cause them to become more and more isolated from the world. How do you decide whether to go out into the world if every trip out of your house results in a migraine that lasts for a week? If you cannot drive and it causes strain with family members? If friends without disability just cannot relate to the struggles of living with a chronic condition no longer want to make the effort? Maddie obviously wasn't ever sick, so she has the lucky chance to get better while many don't, but even if she didn't have that free out in the story, it still raises some great points, and was really valuable for that. 4.5/5 stars.

PLease excuse typos. Entred on screen reader. ( )
  KatKinney | Mar 3, 2022 |
I read this book during the pandemic (Summertime virtual book club). But I can connect to his being I suffer from CVID (Common variable immunodeficiency) so I could in a way connect with the book. But definitely recommend it! ( )
  Fab5Family4Ever | Feb 24, 2022 |
I loved this book... Really, really loved it. The drawings, charts, emails, doodles are a great way for Maddy to share her story. This debut novel is a winner. ( )
  katielibrarian | Feb 8, 2022 |

Nicola Yoonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sousa, Natalie C.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiemken, SimoneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yoon, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Here is my secret. It’s quite simple:
One sees clearly only with the heart.
Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince
To my husband, David Yoon, who showed me my heart.
And to my smart, beautiful daughter, Penny, who made it bigger.
I’ve read many more books than you.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,333,543 books! | Top bar: Always visible