Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

Everything, Everything (2015)

by Nicola Yoon

2,1031664,650 (3.93)1 / 36

English (163)  Spanish (2)  All languages (165)
3.75 stars

REVIEW on my website: https://kyrosmagica.wordpress.com/2016/07/28/my-kyrosmagica-review-of-everything...

I read New York Times Best Selling Author Nicola Yoon’s, Everything Everything, in two days, partly because it was a page turner but also because I’ve been stuck in bed with a particularly nasty vomiting virus! I shall spare you the details…. I’m fine now!

It’s a hard one to review. On the one hand there are so many engaging aspects to this novel – and so many feels, particularly the romance between Maddy and Olly, the emails, etc. The desperate sense of what it must be like to be stuck inside every single day of your life, with no friends, no school to go to, no boyfriends to date, to kiss.. no possibility of a real life. OMG can you imagine? Just staring out of your window watching the world go by while you’re imprisoned forever in your own body. That is the worst scenario.

Then on top of all this potential for misery there is a plot twist in the latter part of the story which encourages the reader to contemplate other issues: the impact of bereavement on mental health. I don’t want to give too much detail about that particular section of the novel as I don’t want to spoil it for you. This was a great idea … a nice progression …

But…….and here’s the but, I just felt that the revelation at the end could have had much more impact if we’d seen Maddy acting a bit more furiously than she did. If perhaps there had been more immediate dialogue between her and her mother, rather than so much focus on her chit chat with her nurse. Also there seemed to be a fair amount of telling. OK, she locked her mum out- actually locked the door, to suggest shutting her out, alienating her, which was clever, (reversal of the situation, her mother is now shut out from her world – her daughter,) but the timing was wrong. We needed some reaction to happen before this, otherwise in my opinion, it distanced the reader from the emotion of the moment. Wouldn’t Maddy be more likely to shout and scream to begin with? Given the enormity of what she finds out? And then lock her mother out, and then realise that she has to forgive? Her reactions all seem to be heavily focused towards her nurse. Which is strange given that she is meant to be close to her mother, having spent so much time with her for so many, many, years.

Also there were a few inconsistencies in the story – like how did she manage to get a credit card without her mother’s consent? And when she was liberated from the confines of the house wouldn’t she long for freedom, but be petrified, frightened of the very air she breathed? To me this didn’t come across as strongly as it should. I think Everything Everything had the potential to be a very strong read, perhaps even a 5 star read given the subject matter, and the potential revelation of the ending, but for me it fell a bit short of that expectation.

I’d say the appeal of this novel lies in its underlying sense of optimism. Given the dire circumstances that Maddy finds herself in, she seems a pretty chilled kind of girl, rather than a whinger. The cheerful and buoyant voice of the author shines through in so many tiny touches, and in the novel’s illustrations. So if this is the type of book that appeals to you, dive in and buy a copy! It would make a very good holiday read.

My rating:

This debut novel is undoubtedly engaging. I shall be keeping an eye out for this new author.

I’d rate this a fast paced, easy read, just under 4 stars, say 3.75 stars. ( )
  marjorie.mallon | Mar 27, 2019 |
Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon. I borrowed this one from the library after I listened to and enjoyed The Sun is Also a Star by the same author. This is a sweet story about a girl Madeline, who is stuck inside her entire life because she’s essentially allergic to everything and has a severely compromised immune system. She lives with her Mother the doctor and has a home nurse, visitors (of which there are few) must enter through an airlock and decontaminate. The book starts on her 18th birthday as she’s happily living in her literal bubble, but her world is turned on it’s head when a cute, interesting boy, Olly, moves in next door. He goes to considerable effort to get her attention and they begin a relationship (of sorts) via email and pantomime in their respective windows. She keeps the whole thing from her mother and it starts to impact their mother-daughter relationship. When something happens to Olly that drives Madeline out the front door onto the lawn, her mom finds out. She never knew how much she was missing the regular teenager stuff like having a crush on a neighbor boy and this starts a chain of events that change her life drastically. I really enjoyed this book and the characters had depth and flaws and tried to make the best of difficult situations. 5/5 stars ⭐️ ( )
  justjoshinreads | Mar 22, 2019 |
Maddy is allergic to the world and hasn't left the house in 17 years. Olly is the new boy next door, determined to connect with her. But all is not as it seems. How far would Maddy's mum go to keep her safe after the death of her husband and son? ( )
  AccyP | Feb 24, 2019 |
This book is amazing. My current favorite.

I will try not to reveal anything.

The combination of a black girl and a white boy is perfect.

The difference of Madeline and Oliver is amazing.

Nicola Yoon knows how to make love stories so that even you can feel the love.

I recommend "The Sun Is Also A Star" for a good read. ( )
  Rebbeca_Life | Feb 7, 2019 |
I freaking knew it!!!! ( )
  kat_the_bookcat | Feb 7, 2019 |

Nicola Yoonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wiemken, SimoneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yoon, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Here is my secret. It’s quite simple:
One sees clearly only with the heart.
Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince
To my husband, David Yoon, who showed me my heart.
And to my smart, beautiful daughter, Penny, who made it bigger.
I’ve read many more books than you.

Am Anfang war ein Traum. Und dann war Leben! Wenn ihr Leben ein Buch wäre, sagt Madeline, würde sich beim Rückwärtslesen nichts ändern: Heute ist genau wie gestern und morgen wird sein wie heute. Denn Madeline hat einen seltenen Immundefekt und ihr Leben lang nicht das Haus verlassen. Doch dann zieht nebenan der gut aussehende Olly ein - und Madeline weiß, sie will alles, das ganze große, echte, lebendige Leben! Und sie ist bereit, dafür alles zu riskieren. So hat man die Liebe noch nie gelesen! Das neue Lieblingsbuch für Töchter und ihre Mütter: Eine außergewöhnlich berührende Liebesgeschichte für Fans von Jojo Moyes und John Green mit besonderen Illustrationen, Skizzen, Notizen und E-Mails. (Verlagstext)

This innovative, heartfelt debut novel tells the story of a girl who’s literally allergic to the outside world. When a new family moves in next door, she begins a complicated romance that challenges everything she’s ever known. The narrative unfolds via vignettes, diary entries, texts, charts, lists, illustrations, and more.

My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He's tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:04 -0400)

"The story of a teenage girl who's literally allergic to the outside world. When a new family moves in next door, she begins a complicated romance that challenges everything she's ever known. The narrative unfolds via vignettes, diary entries, texts, charts, lists, illustrations, and more"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,162,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible