I'll Give You the Sun

by Jandy Nelson

"A story of first love, family, loss, and betrayal told from different points in time, and in separate voices, by artists Jude and her twin brother Noah"--
    The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour (beyondthefourthwall)
    beyondthefourthwall: Young adults, art, coming of age, reflective writing with interesting characters.
    Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon (beyondthefourthwall)
    beyondthefourthwall: Reaching out to new romance and new opportunities gradually unravels a familial deadlock situation cemented into place by grief, repression, and a multilayered mystery.
    Tiger Milk by Stefanie de Velasco (MissBrangwen)
    Weird Girl and What's His Name by Meagan Brothers (alexiscartwheel)
    Bellweather Rhapsody by Kate Racculia (blackrabbit89)
    Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (foggidawn)

English (148)  Dutch (1)  All languages (149)
This book was so heartfelt and honest I thought I might burst. Jandy Nelson does an exceptional job of making her characters come to life. You endure the characters emotions and go through their issues right along side them.

Noah is a introverted artist who is still in the closet, Jude is an extroverted party girl who does whatever to be free. The twins are super close until 14 when tragedy strikes. Noah and Jude start to drift apart and live separate lives. This story told from both of their point of views navigates topics such as loss, friendship, art, and more.

I really enjoyed this book. I read it in one sitting and took a minute to think about it after finishing it. The character development of both characters throughout the book is superb and watching them evolve into the beings at then end was amazing. Jandy Nelson's writing style is amazing, she sucks you in and doesn't let you go until the book has ended. The LGBTQ representation of two closeted boys is chefs kiss. Read it, you will not regret it. ( )
  yulissaeuceda_ | Jan 21, 2022 |

yulissaeuceda_ | Jan 21, 2022 |
YA is so much better than it was when i was a YA

I don't have a lot to say, because I'm being lazy today, not because they're isn't so much to talk about with this book. It's just a great story. I 'm jealous of this authors talent, especially the way she writes as Noah. It's inspiring.

My only complaint (spoiler coming up if you haven't read the book yet you best stop reading this review) is that i really really wish we could have gotten to read first hand the moment Brian and noah reunited. It happened off camera so to speak, but i needed more than that. I took away a whole star just for that reason.

As good as this book is, it's the Noah and brain story that kept me turning the pages and i felt cheated that i didn't get more. Much more. I'm getting kind of angry now thinking about it. It's still a good book though. ( )
  pilgrimwitch | Jan 4, 2022 |
A coming-of-age story around discovering and deciding who you are--and who you want to be. I really appreciated the combination of dealing with death, ghosts and superstitions along with art, love and loss. Figuring out what's important can take a lot of time, and the journey in this book is worth following.

That said, it is YA, but there's more depth than the typical fare, the people feel more complicated than we get to see, but a lot is revealed as you go. ( )
  Pepperwings | Dec 7, 2021 |
YA is so much better than it was when i was a YA

Pilgrimgossip | Oct 30, 2021 |
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field.  I'll meet you there.  --Rumi
I believe in nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the truth of the imagination. --John Keats
Where there is great love, there are always miracles.
--Willa Cather
It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. --E.E. Cummings
for Dad and Carol
This is how it all begins.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,139,749 books! | Top bar: Always visible