Lost in the Sun

by Lisa Graff

"As Trent Zimmerman struggles to move past a traumatic event that took place several months earlier, he befriends class outcast Fallon Little, who helps him understand that he can move on"--

This was recommended to my son and I as a good listen for a drive. Turns out, it was a bit too young for him (at 15), but I listened to it myself. A pretty good listen, but I'm not going to rate it, since not only is it not my demographic, but I don't even have a kid in this demographic anymore.
  CarolHicksCase | Mar 12, 2023 |
This was a well-done realistic fiction novel with difficult themes: guilt, anger issues, and depression. It may not be for ever reader, but I think most kids who got into Wonder would appreciate the main character, Trent's complex nature. Or at least they would get it.

I had some issues with characterizations that read cliche or forced: the teacher was such a parody of herself. I eventually liked that she and Trent hit it off but it felt an obligatory plot device at moments. Also, the fathers ( both seemed like repressed alpha - males ), especially Trent's dad, were strangely aloof and characters who I didn't feel like I really got to know. Maybe if they were more central, I would have felt better about them overall.
I did enjoy the brother relationships, and their dynamic was believable. At times I could have sworn the author was projecting Holden Caulfield's voice on Trent, and that felt strained. Also, would Annie truly want to be near this family after what happened. That character motivation was unclear. Good read for fans of young characters surmounting difficult times and navigating their own emotional self- awareness in overcoming obstacles and personal conflict.

Overall, a good solid realistic fiction read. ( )
  jstruzzi | Jan 14, 2022 |

Overall, a good solid realistic fiction read. ( )
  jstruzzi | Jan 14, 2022 |
This review also found at The Children's Book and Media Review run by Brigham Young University.

Trent’s world is shattered when he accidentally kills a kick with a hockey puck because of the kid’s previously unknown health-conditions. Even months after the accident, Trent feels alone and can’t handle playing sports anymore. His one connection to people his age after he quits sports is his new friend, Fallon. They watch movies together and she tries to convince him to draw the different stories about her mysterious scar, but she won’t tell him how she actually got it. Trent struggles with his dad, his family, his temper, and school as he tries to figure out how to cope with what happened to him.

At its heart, Lost in the Sun is about a kid who is hurting and needs people to help him deal with that. Sometimes his parents’ responses to their son is discouraging, but the way one of his teachers is willing to help him put his life back together is encouraging. The book is emotional while the reader observes Trent making bad decisions because of how much he is hurting. The ending in many ways destroys some of the best parts of a book by pretending to explain a major issue that keeps returning in the book, but then cutting it off without an explanation. In spite of the ending, it is a great read because of the realistic characters showing how difficult it can be to deal with tragedy. ( )
  vivirielle | Aug 4, 2021 |
children's middlegrade fiction (main character is in 6th grade). realistic fiction--school, coping with extreme guilt over an accidental death, anger management, divorced families. Another heartfelt winner from Lisa Graff. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |

Lisa Graffprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ocampo, Ramon deNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Daphne

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,192,850 books! | Top bar: Always visible