After a While You Just Get Used to It: A…

After a While You Just Get Used to It: A Tale of Family Clutter

by Gwendolyn Knapp

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Knapp's novel was a bit too much for me. As someone who came from a bit of a hillbilly background, I thought I might find some snippets I'd relate to. In general, this book was a bit over the top in comparison to my experience and, at times, bordered on unreadable. A memoir that was not for me. ( )
  jessicamhill | Jul 24, 2016 |
Initial thoughts:
Knapp is a hilarious writer and her incredibly funny style is the saving grace of "After A While..." This book is a bit of a downer, Qwendolyn's familial dysfunction and unhappiness permeates throughout. Her mother is unbelievably selfish, immature and enraging. I feel like Knapp has given me a general glimpse into poverty, Florida, the South and the strangle-hold affection/obligation that can exist in families who don't like each other. This book is authentic, upsetting, funny, sad and a bit sickening. So much of this book was so true and sad, (and truly sad) if not for Knapp's first class writing,humor and riotous descriptions I don't think I could have gotten through it. (Oh no. Am I making a this book is like "life" metaphor?) 12.6.15 ( )
  kc.teadrinker | Dec 6, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This memoir is filled with dry humor and wacky family members that will make you relish the boring ones you have. The hilarious chapter on the horrors of IBS is enough motivation to read this book. I found myself laughing in recognition of being in the same circumstances...then I had to run to the bathroom! ( )
  samaree | Nov 1, 2015 |
This is a book that really didn't need to be written. I really didn't care about the author's irritable bowel syndrome and a number of other a maladies and gross habits exhibited by her family and friends in these pages. It is like a celebration of the redneck lifestyle of Honey Boo Boo's family. Sometimes when I read a memoir there is a voyeuristic attraction but no so here. I just wanted to leave them to their drinking, clutter and dysfunctional behavior and go back to my family's unremarkable lifestyle. ( )
  muddyboy | Oct 27, 2015 |
Fascinating (as in "the fascination of the abomination"), funny, and strangely endearing. The description of the Christmas candle-lighting is worth the price of admission. ( )
  DowntownLibrarian | Sep 28, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159240913X, Hardcover)

A vibrant new voice ups the self-deprecating memoir ante with tragicomic tales of her dysfunctional life in swampland Florida and America’s Big Easy

A dive bar palm reader who calls herself the Disco Queen Taiwan; a slumlord with a penis-of-the-day LISTSERV; and Betty, the middle-aged Tales of the Cocktail volunteer who soils her pants on a party bus and is dealt with in the worst possible way. These are just a few of the unforgettable characters who populate Gwendolyn Knapp’s hilarious and heartbreaking—yet ultimately uplifting—memoir debut, After a While You Just Get Used to It.

Growing up in a dying breed of eccentric Florida crackers, Knapp thought she had it rough—what with her pack rat mother, Margie; her aunt Susie, who has fewer teeth than prison stays; and Margie’s bipolar boyfriend, John. But not long after Knapp moves to New Orleans, Margie packs up her House of Hoarders and follows along. As if Knapp weren’t struggling enough to keep herself afloat, working odd jobs and trying to find love while suffering from irritable bowel syndrome, the thirty-year-old realizes that she’s never going to escape her family’s unendingly dysfunctional drama.

Knapp honed her writing chops and distinctive Southern Gothic–humor style writing short pieces and participating in the renowned reading series Literary Death Match. Now, like bestselling authors Jenny Lawson, Laurie Notaro, and Julie Klausner before her, Knapp bares her sad and twisted life for readers everywhere to enjoy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:24 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

's book After a While You Just Get Used to It: A Tale of Family Clutter was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,368,704 books! | Top bar: Always visible