Carter & Lovecraft (2015)

by Jonathan L. Howard

Series: Carter & Lovecraft (1)

"Daniel Carter used to be a homicide detective, but his last case -- the hunt for a serial killer -- went wrong in strange ways and soured the job for him. Now he's a private investigator trying to live a quiet life. Strangeness, however, has not finished with him. First he inherits a bookstore in Providence from someone he's never heard of, along with an indignant bookseller who doesn't want a new boss. She's Emily Lovecraft, the last known descendant of H.P. Lovecraft, the writer from Providence who told tales of the Great Old Ones and the Elder Gods, creatures and entities beyond the understanding of man. Then people start dying in impossible ways, and while Carter doesn't want to be involved, but he's beginning to suspect that someone else wants him to be. As he reluctantly investigates, he discovers that Lovecraft's tales were more than just fiction, and he must accept another unexpected, and far more unwanted inheritance"--… (more)

How to rate this book? It basically delivered what it promised, it made the journey interesting, I love Lovecraft..... four stars seems fair. I think if this series is continued things could definitely improve, ... wish the ending explained more though... ( )
  Andorion | Feb 6, 2021 |
Overall this is an action-packed mystery that moves at a brisk pace. It features a woman of color as part of the main cast (though not nearly as dominant as the standard straight white cismale protagonist) and has pretty decent dialogue and some quotable moments.

I really wanted to give this 4 stars, but I can't let the debacle with the rape go. ( )
  kaitlynn_g | Dec 13, 2020 |
Wow this series is Refreshing ..

The series follows the Cthulhu mythos and the way the author approached the world is brilliant .

Our main characters are Carter & Lovecraft , both very likeable. Carter is an ex cop turned P.I and Lovecraft runs an old bookshop . You'll enjoy their banter and chemistry. My favorite Character is Henry Westen always with a smile on his face even when the world is ending . And has this child like approach in interacting with the world .
The story is well developed you'll be immersed .
I'm a massive fan of the author . This is the second series I'm reading from him and I'm not disappointed .
Go read this series . ( )
  sonofabe | Sep 22, 2020 |
What a cool surprise!

Modern sensibilities, Cthulhu Mythos, Urban Fantasy, Cthulhu Mythos, and even enough modern references and even math geekiness and Cthulhu Mythos to satisfy the most jaded INVESTIGATOR. :)

Nom nom nom nom...

Oh, wait, this isn't the RPG game! This is a new and theoretically ongoing series! How awesome is that? AND this duo might be gracing the tube, too? Yeah. This sharp tale pulls all the greatest story developments and classic build-ups of the Cthulhu Mythos with its lobster boil, from "normal" mysteries all the way to weird coincidences to unreal possibilities to modern versions of cultists to universe-hopping... while all the while remaining both true and smart to the originals and the ever-evolving sub-genre of Cthulhu.

As an urban fantasy mystery thriller. :)

I'm thrilled! :)

It doesn't lack much but a lot more can be introduced in later grimoires... um, I mean tomes? Oh, wait... I mean novels. yeah. novels. :)

Now, where does this one get categorized if it refers to itself in its own a self-indexing catalog?

Oh stop it, don't divide by zero!

*wild cackles of glee* ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
I loved this novel! It was exactly what I needed at this time. And the writing was fantastic, also! Seriously, it’s less horror and more fiction with some weirdness thrown in. And I enjoyed the hell out of it.
Here is a better review that says it all:

4 stars, and recommended to anyone and everyone! ( )
  stephanie_M | Apr 30, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

Daniel Carter used to be a homicide detective, but his last case―the hunt for a serial killer―went wrong in strange ways and soured the job for him. Now he's a private investigator trying to live a quiet life. Strangeness, however, has not finished with him.

Then people start dying in impossible ways, and while Carter doesn't want to be involved, he's beginning to suspect that someone else wants him to be. As Carter reluctantly investigates, he discovers that H. P. Lovecraft's tales were more than just fiction, and he must accept another unexpected, and far more unwanted, inheritance.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,777,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible