Carter & Lovecraft by Jonathan L. Howard

Carter & Lovecraft (2015)

by Jonathan L. Howard

Daniel Carter, ex-homicide detective, but now private investigator is quite surprised when he learns that he has inherited a bookstore in Providence from someone he has never heard of. Emily Lovecraft is surprised and not so happy about it, she is the manager of the bookstore, and have been that for the last seven years since the owner of the bookstore disappeared. She is also H.P. Lovecraft's last descendant. Lovecraft, the man who wrote stories about the Great Old Oles and the Elder Gods. But, that's only stories, right?

If I would put together a list from last year of the books I most look forward to reading would this one be quite high up on it. So of course, I got declined at NetGalley. But, then I convinced the library in my town to purchase it. And, then I waited, and waited, 2015 become 2016 and still I waited. Then, behold, I got an email from the library that told me that the book had arrived and I skipped down to the library to pick it up. Alright, I walked down, I'm not in a Disney movie or a child.

The book was good, perhaps not as good as I wanted it to be, but I guess my expectation was off the roof by then. But it was the kind of book where I took the time to really read it, no fast reading here, but that is also quite necessary. I felt that Carter & Lovecraft is not a book that you just storm through. Or at least, that's my opinion. Also, I had waited so long to read it so I didn't want to just read it in one sitting. The plot is really interesting with Carter and Lovecraft trying to stop a man that kind bend reality at will. A man that can kill you in a car by drawing, without water.

I think my favorite part of the book was towards the end when Carter and Lovecraft really started to work together to stop the madman from destroying reality. And, what an ending. So brilliant.

Read this review and others on A Bookaholic Swede ( )
  MaraBlaise | Feb 20, 2017 |
Let me start by saying that I might be a bit biased. H.P. Lovecraft's ideas have that effect on me and it's a joy when someone takes them to a whole new level. It happened here.
That being said, Carter & Lovecraft is an extraordinary addition to this genre. I am trying to articulate what is exactly that Jonathan L. Howard has done here. I loved it.

This wonderful book with such an unassuming title hides an incredible story of an ex-cop who sees something inexplicable in the beginning of the story. The loss of his partner in a way he couldn't understand makes him leave his job and become a PI. An unexpected inheritance and later a weird phone call from a parking lot in Providence involves him in the weirdest case of his life, one that might kill him. But the good side of it all is that he meets Emily Lovecraft.
Both Daniel Carter and Emily Lovecraft are likeable characters, so I really hope this is going to be a series.

It is hard to write about the way this book is written, the things that happen to them or around them without spoilers. All chapters in the book have subtitles that are mostly either Lovecraft's titles or variations of them (e.g. 'The Shadow over Providence', 'The Thing and the Doorstep').
If you've read any of Lovecraft's stories, you'll recognize the titles and the themes. However, don't think for a moment it's same old, same old. It is definitely not!
There are so many twists (pun intended) and turns in this book I lost count. One moment you think you know where something is going, or who the villain is, and the next you are getting something downright unexpected. Plus, there are a couple of truly hair-raising moments that won't leave a horror lover indifferent. And that ending? Perfect. I honestly can't find a better way to introduce a series.

I liked Carter & Lovecraft so much that I won't even bother to list any nitpicks.

ARC provided by St. Martin's Press via NetGalley. ( )
  Aneris | Feb 15, 2017 |
*Book source ~ NetGalley

Daniel Carter became a private investigator after a homicide he was working as a detective goes horribly sideways and totally weird. He just wants to forget about it, but he can’t. When he inherits a bookstore in Providence from a someone he doesn’t know things get strange and weird all over again.

What the fuck did I just read? This is a well-written incredibly bizarre story that had me confused at times, but it didn’t detract from the sense of dread and suspense that permeates the entire story. It’s a bit too out there for my tastes and has too much confusing (to me) science fictiony-horror stuff which is why it gets a 4 instead of a 5, but it’s still a riveting tale that had me glued to the pages waiting to see what happens next. I really like Daniel and Emily and how the whole thing ties back to H.P. Lovecraft. Pretty nifty storytelling. Confusion or not, I’ll be checking out book 2 for sure to see where this whole thing is heading. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Nov 4, 2016 |
4.5 stars

I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was very well written, very intense, and a very fun read. I'm not very familiar with HP Lovecraft's writings and mythos, but knew enough to be able to follow the thought processes in this book. I'm sure there was some that was over my head.

That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Along with the elder-gods mythos, there was almost a noir-like atmosphere to this book. I'm definitely looking forward to the next volume in this planned series, and hopefully Mr. Howard will answer some of the many loose ends he left at the end of this one! ( )
  ssimon2000 | May 31, 2016 |
This was so not what I was expecting, but I really liked it. Things with lots of math and probability tend to make my brain glaze, but this was truly interesting, and I loved the history/genealogy of Carter and Lovecraft--I also really liked both of their characters. The ending was pretty...wow...just very curious to see what happens in a follow-up, which seems to be strongly hinted at. It's a very original story, and I enjoyed the layers of the plots. ( )
  waclements7 | Mar 21, 2016 |

Daniel Carter used to be a homicide detective, but his last case―the hunt for a serial killer―went wrong in strange ways and soured the job for him. Now he's a private investigator trying to live a quiet life. Strangeness, however, has not finished with him.

First he inherits a bookstore in Providence from someone he's never heard of, along with an indignant bookseller who doesn't want a new boss. She's Emily Lovecraft, the last known descendant of H.P. Lovecraft, the writer from Providence who told tales of the Great Old Ones and the Elder Gods, creatures and entities beyond the understanding of man.

Then people start dying in impossible ways, and while Carter doesn't want to be involved, he's beginning to suspect that someone else wants him to be. As Carter reluctantly investigates, he discovers that H. P. Lovecraft's tales were more than just fiction, and he must accept another unexpected, and far more unwanted, inheritance.

15 wanted2 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,376,867 books! | Top bar: Always visible