Planet of Exile (1966)

by Ursula K. Le Guin

Series: Hainish Cycle (2), Hainish Cycle, Chronological (4)

The Earth colony of Landin has been stranded on Werel for ten years - and ten of Werel's years are over 600 terrestrial years, and the lonely and dwindling human settlement is beginning to feel the strain. Every winter - a season that lasts for 15 years - the Earthmen have neighbors: the humanoid hilfs, a nomadic people who only settle down for the cruel cold spell. The hilfs fear the Earthmen, whom they think of as witches and call the farborns. But hilfs and farborns have common enemies: the hordes of ravaging barbarians called gaals and eerie preying snow ghouls. Will they join forces or be annihilated?… (more)

English (31)  French (1)  All languages (32)
Though this is my least favorite of Le Guin's first three Hainish novels (often bundled together, as in the Worlds of Exile and Illusion), on this re-read I really found a lot to appreciate and be intrigued by. Especially Wold! Honestly I think this whole story could have been interesting just from Wold's perspective.

Like Rocannon's World, Le Guin explores her themes and ideas in the background of, and entwined with, a more action-oriented foregrounded plot. In Rocannon's World it was a quest, in Planet of Exile it's a siege. Once again I found the main plot compelling enough, but it's the worldbuilding that really interests me.

Here worldbuilding means the seasons-- for Werel, each season is around 15 earth years long, so a full year is the length of a lifetime. The length of the Werellian year informs not just environment of the world, but its cultures and customs, each person living on it, and the plot of the novel itself, in a way that ties everything together intimately, foundationally, and symbolically. Honestly, George R R Martin could never. One of the ways in which this theme is expressed that I found most interesting is in the stark differences in how cultural memory functions in each of the novel's two main groups-- the semi-migratory Tevarans who rely on their elders' memories and stories, and the record-keeping alien Alterrans whose ancestors are from earth, and how these differences make them mistrust and misunderstand each other.

Unfortunately, one way in which I think Le Guin definitely missed a trick is by having Jakob Agat be older than Rolery-- not just because that's such a tired situation in literature, but because much of Rolery's relationship to her community is defined by being born unusually "out of season" in the summer fallow. She has no equals in age among the spring adults and autumn children of her people, and having Jakob be the same age as her would help to explain why she is so attracted to him as a companion-- an equal, a contemporary. Conversely, and this I think is explored by the book, Jakob is attracted to Rolery because of her quietness and strangeness and loneliness, the way she turns her face away from him while all others in his life look intimately towards him, even into his mind. What an interesting relationship! She is a human who feels out of place in her community, he an alien who is of a necessity deeply attached and overwhelmed by his own. Ah well, most of that is still there anyway. I'll just ignore the few references to his real age and think of them as the same.

The audiobook narrators were good, but I found it kind of silly that they had one person for for the Jakob Agat and Wold sections and one for the Rolery sections-- it made it clear that they cast a "woman reader" and a "man reader" which doesn't make much thematic sense for the story. Any of the following make much more sense to me: two narrators but split Tevaran/Alterran (one does Rolery and Wold and the other Jakob Agat), three narrators (one for each perspective character), or just one narrator for the whole novel (honestly I think Carrington MacDuffie would have been great all on her own). ( )
  misslevel | Jan 31, 2022 |
this books are too short D:

just passing scenes of the collateral worlds of the intergalactic war, worlds left behind, cultures that fade away ( )
  GridCube | Jan 17, 2022 |
Read as part of the 'Worlds of Exile and Illusion' omnibus ( )
  fmc712 | Feb 18, 2021 |
Le Guin kraliçe diyorlar okurları bunu benim için Yerdeniz Serisi ile fantastik alanında kanıtlamıştı.Daha önce okuduğum Rüyanın Öte Yakası ve bu kitap ile aynı şeyi benim için bilimkurgu alanında da kanıtlamış oldu.

Sürgün Gezegeni'ni Hainli Döngüsü'nün 4. kitabı zannediyordum ama 2.kitap olduğunu bilseydim Rocannon'un Dünyası'nı okudum ilk ve böylece sırayla okurdum, neyse olan oldu en azından kitaplar arasında fazla bir bağın olmadığını teyit ettim.

Kitap kısa olduğu için içeriğinden bahsetmeyeceğim bunun dışında kitap ile ilgili söyleyebileceğim tek şey Bilimkurgu Edebiyatı'na başlanması için güzel bir tercih olacağıdır. ( )
  Tobizume | Jun 9, 2020 |
This is an enjoyable yarn, not as distinguished as some of her other work, less challenging, more visceral, less analytical. I notice that often earlier works of favorite authors of mine show more stamina for description and exposition. I have a preference for plunging into the narrative and making the reader figure things out. I love Le Guin's faith in the power of love and community to overcome war and chaos. ( )
  mermind | Jun 3, 2019 |

Le Guin, Ursula K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kirby,JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pedro, A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sousa Machado, Raul deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the last days of the last moonphase of Autumn a wind blew from the northern ranges through the dying forests of Askatevar, a cold wind that smelled of smoke and snow.

Le Guin, Ursula K.,1929-2018.
Ο πλανήτης της εξορίας / Ούρσουλα Λε Γκεν · μετάφραση Αγγελική Βαλαβάνη. - Αθήνα : SPACE, 1998. - 173σ. · 18x11εκ.
gre
Γλώσσα πρωτοτύπου: αγγλικά
Τίτλος πρωτοτύπου: Planet of Exile, 1966
ISBN 960-7271-02-1, (Μαλακό εξώφυλλο) [Εξαντλημένο]
813.6

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,683,710 books! | Top bar: Always visible