dismiss

Falling Into Bed with a Duke (2015)

by Lorraine Heath

Series: The Hellions of Havisham (1)

USA Today Bestseller In the first in a dazzling new series, New York Times bestselling author Lorraine Heath introduces the Hellions of Havisham--three charismatic rogues destined to lose their hearts . . . After six unsuccessful Seasons, Miss Minerva Dodger chooses spinsterhood over fortune-hungry suitors. But thanks to the Nightingale Club, she can at least enjoy one night of pleasure. At that notorious establishment, ladies don masks before choosing a lover. The sinfully handsome Duke of Ashebury is more than willing to satisfy the secretive lady's desires--and draws Minerva into an exquisite, increasingly intimate affair. A man of remarkable talents, Ashe soon deduces that his bedmate is the unconventional Miss Dodger. Intrigued by her wit and daring, he sets out to woo her in earnest. Yet Minerva refuses to trust him. How to court a woman he has already thoroughly seduced? And how to prove that the passion unleashed in darkness is only the beginning of a lifetime's pleasure… (more)

Minerva goes to a night club in an attempt to have at least one intimate experience to last her for the rest of her life. She meets the Duke of Ashebury who likes to take pictures of healthy body parts in order to dislodge thoughts of his parents who died in a train wreck. Ashe becomes enamored of Minerva as well as her alter ego "Lady V". He eventually realizes he wants to marry her but she'll always believe that he's marrying her only for her dowry. To prove that's not the case, he asks her father to remove her dowry. The plan works and they marry. ( )
  emsue88 | Nov 19, 2019 |
Summary

Miss Minerva Dodger, has watched six full seasons go by without many good offers for her unless its from fortune hunters. She wants what her parents have found and is set on not marrying. She wants adventure and passion. When she hears about a club, The Nightingale, that hosts exclusive sensual parties, she attends. She knows it will be exactly what she needs. Upon arrival, she meets the Duke of Ashebury who shows her true desire and affection. Ashe, has just returned from a trip to Africa and has a passion for photography and most especially taking pictures of sensual women and his “white swan” is just the ticket. She is everything perfect and beautiful that he wants.

“Our bodies are personal, private.”

“I won’t take that from you. All I want is your legs.”

As though he were a schoolboy in need of having his knuckled rapped with a ruler, she narrowed her eyes. “A lady’s ankles are not to be shown”

“And yet at this very moment you’re barefoot.”

But he finds that he want more than just one or two nights at the Nightingale….but the real test will be when he finds her true identity. He finds himself wanting even more. But when he suddenly learns of his financial situation, he realizes he has to marry for money…but can he show Minerva he isn’t like the others….that he wants her for herself and not just her dowry?
The Hero

The Duke of Ashebury, when he was a boy, was taken to a stranger’s home, a close friend of his fathers, to be raised and where he and his close friend Edward and the Earl of Greyling….became hellions of the first order. Allowed to roam free on the estate, and become wild and free. Now the Earl of Greyling has married, and Ashe and Edward are rakes of the first order. But upon meeting Minerva, Ashe was lost. From his meeting with her, he realized how rare she is….a unique gem and he only wants more. Ashe was quite a fun hero to know. Unlike his friend Edward (whom I can’t wait for his story let me tell ya), he was quite more settled….a bit. He is quite talented with being a photographer and likes to take risks especially out in the wilds of Africa, he loves women and all the other pursuits that are available to a gentleman of the Ton. But I really liked how loyal he is, he doesn’t hide behind pretense and defends those he cares for.
The Heroine

Minerva Dodger is the daughter of Jack Dodger and Oliva. She has been raised with just brothers and is quite a hellion like her brothers. She has learned to climb trees, fight a pistol and even smoke a cigar. She speaks her mind and desire a love match like her parents. Her father has settled a very high dowry on her, and all the offers she has received over the years has been from fortune hunters who only see her dowry. She realizes that its time after six seasons to set her desire for marriage because she wants to feel desire and passion. She knows she isn’t a beauty but wants more than what she has currently. I couldn’t get enough of Minerva….she is one of my favorite heroines that Heath has ever written. She is outspoken, driven, unconventional, intelligent and seeks to find her own way in life.
Plot and Story Line

Falling Into Bed With A Duke is the first on the latest series by Heath. And what a beginning….simply wonderful in every way. I just couldn’t get enough of this story and wanted more. The first thing that I loved seeing is more of the family of Jack and Olivia. Because quite frankly they were one of my favorites to read in the “Scoundrels of St. James series” and so it was such fun to see them again and their kids. Minerva is quite unique and its no surprise considering who her parents are. She is one of two people her father doesn’t scare off…so she is definitely a daddy’s girl (which I felt I could relate with personally). I liked seeing her relationship with her parents and her brothers. She is also not afraid to be herself and considering the restrictions that surrounded women back then was very impressive.

“I’m a spinster by choice because I refuse to be burdened with a man who doesn’t love me. I’m fortunate to be blessed with parents who don’t believe my singular purpose in life is to be a wife.”

It sets off with seeing our heroine Minerva, want more from life. So she goes after it….in the Nightingale Club. This is where she first meets the hero. Her identity is secret by a mask, but she wants to feel desire and passion and this is the best place for it. She and Ashe learn each other over a couple of nights at the club.

You were what I wanted tonight. I never settle for substitutes.

But the story really gets interesting when they meet outside the club. Ashe wants to know more and they play this little flirting game because Ashe knows who she is, but Minerva doesn’t know it yet. And evades all of his unique questions but eventually the truth has to come out right? And what is quite fun was seeing how Ashe interacts with her family. Because he isn’t intimidated by her father or brothers at all. But Minerva has her mother and sister in law on her side helping her with some good “alone” time with Ashe. I loved seeing Minerva stand up to her brothers who get a bit overprotective at times. She is bold and daring and I loved seeing more depth to her character as the story unravels.

The romance between Ashe and Minerva is quite sexy and delicious and I wanted more of these two. They were quite wonderful together. I really liked how Ashe sees beauty in Minerva….in ways no one does. He sees how special she is from the beginning. He isn’t turned off by her talents or her ability to talk politics or any other topic. Their relationship starts off with learning each other physically but then we see them learn each other intellectually and emotionally. There were quite a few tender and sweet romantic moments but then we see a conflict in the story that adds more intricate complexities to the plot that only adds to the deliciousness of the love story.

“Working together, we can built it into something grand for our children. I want her to be my partner. My equal.”

“To come to you with nothing?

“Dear God, how can you possibly believe there is any part of her that is equal to nothing?”

If you love romance especially historical romance….this is a story that is must!! Lorraine Heath is a queen when it comes to writing a wonderful love story and she conquers it with Falling Into Bed With A Duke!
The Cover

I just love this cover. I did have the opportunity to read the ARC….but I declined because I so wanted to own this in paperback because gorgeous right?? I love the mix of colors with the creams and soft green with the pop of purple lettering. And I loved the stepback….so lovely!!
Overall View

Falling Into Bed With A Duke is a stunning and riveting romance that held my attention from the beginning. A sweet and utterly captivating love story that will tug at your heart strings!!! A TRUE GEM!! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 17, 2019 |
Kind of a slow burn feel with their sexual escapades/feelings developing and then rushed with the heroine not learning the hero's secret until the 80% mark and everything having to get resolved in that short time. ( )
  WhiskeyintheJar | Feb 14, 2019 |
good Heath book; the heroine wants to experience love instead of just fortune hunters and ends up falling in love with a duke - who also turns out to need her money ( )
  afarrington | Jan 3, 2018 |
Lorraine Heath has written some really fabulous romances ([b:Always to Remember|692985|Always to Remember|Lorraine Heath|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1321909612s/692985.jpg|679314], [b:Sweet Lullaby|1814637|Sweet Lullaby|Lorraine Heath|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1277079336s/1814637.jpg|1814116]).

This book is step down from that standard. There is a plot, yes, but is like most of the other romances there are out there and doesn't really carry her stamp.

The series is about a bunch of kids who lost their parents in a train accident. They arrive at the guardians(who happens to be mad) and find another kid (the guardian's son). All of them become good friends. Of course, it goes without saying that these kids are all titled - a duke, an earl and his twin, and a viscount.

This book, like the title says, is about the duke. He arrives back in London and meets his soulmate in a scandalous setting. (There are all the ballrooms that were frequented before by both in the past, yet the duke didn't notice Miss Dodger. ) Here she goes by the name of Lady V.The duke sets off to discover the identity of Lady V and suspects Miss Dodger. He later confirms his theory.

Meanwhile, Miss Dodger comes with a grand dowry and is plagued by fortune hunters and because of this she decides to stay single. This in turn spurs her decision of visiting said scandalous place and meeting the Duke.

On getting to know that the Duke knows that she is Lady V, they decide to get married, Of course, here Miss Dodger learns that the Duke is indeed in need of her dowry and ends up dumping him.

The Duke then sets off to win her heart. They marry and end up living happily ever after.

Honestly, I was moved when I read [b:Always to Remember|692985|Always to Remember|Lorraine Heath|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1321909612s/692985.jpg|679314] and can't fathom this is from the same author.

You can read the review here as well ( )
  JayasreeB | Dec 21, 2016 |

Lorraine Heathprimary authorall editionscalculated
Griffin, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,918,791 books! | Top bar: Always visible