Luna: New Moon by Ian McDonald

Luna: New Moon

by Ian McDonald

Series: Luna (1)

English (24)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (26)
Lenta, con paginas de sobra... ( )
  maxtrek | Jan 30, 2019 |
It’s become difficult for me, in recent times, to find a science fiction novel I can truly enjoy: there are exceptions of course, like the works of undiscussed masters as Iain M. Banks (just to name one), or more recent space opera series like John Scalzi’s Old Man’s War or James S.A. Corey’s The Expanse, but on the whole, new works I’ve come across are either slanted toward military sf (not my cup of tea), or rely heavily on the more romantic aspects of a story – something that holds little interest for me.

So when I came across Ian McDonald’s Luna, I was delighted to find so many of the elements I appreciate in the genre, combined in such a way as to make this novel as close to perfection as possible.

Full review at SPACE AND SORCERY BLOG ( )
  SpaceandSorcery | Dec 25, 2018 |
Great space saga involving a colonized Moon and feuding families. The story mostly follows a Brazilian family, self made by the now old matriarch along her long life. The family now is composed of her several grown-up children and nephews. The characters are very well described, they evolve and interact credibly and they have to face interesting choices. The science part is not described in detail but is believable and the whole world of the Moon has a grandiose/heroic feeling attached to it. The social system is not explored enough as the book contains a lot of action, but it is an interesting idea. Overall a very pleasant lecture. ( )
  vladmihaisima | Oct 29, 2018 |
Interesting and original setting. Ok, not the setting per se (it's the Moon after all :P) but its cultural, social and political aspects, and to a lesser degree, the technology . Well developed characters. Good pace.
  chaghi | Oct 15, 2018 |
3.5 stars, rounded up.

The comparisons for Luna: New Moon are seemingly endless: [b:Tai-Pan|42933|Tai-Pan (Asian Saga, #2)|James Clavell|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1437266246s/42933.jpg|1755754], [b:Noble House|390711|Noble House (Asian Saga, #4)|James Clavell|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1365185986s/390711.jpg|1486259], [b:A Game of Thrones|13496|A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)|George R.R. Martin|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1436732693s/13496.jpg|1466917], [b:The Godfather|22034|The Godfather|Mario Puzo|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1394988109s/22034.jpg|266624], [b:Dune|234225|Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1)|Frank Herbert|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1434908555s/234225.jpg|3634639], [b:The Moon is a Harsh Mistress|16690|The Moon is a Harsh Mistress|Robert A. Heinlein|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348768309s/16690.jpg|1048525] (although instead of Heinlein's lunar utopia, Luna is a lunar dystopia). Just like these classics, the Mafia-styled families are doing all they can to increase their wealth and holdings at the expense of everyone else.

As in his book, [b:Brasyl|278281|Brasyl|Ian McDonald|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1386925633s/278281.jpg|269900], which is set in a future South America, McDonald uses Brazilians as his main characters, but this time, they are mining the Moon for raw material. Luna is an in-depth tour inside the now-honeycombed Moon with the rich people living deeper under the surface (it’s safer) and the poorer people living closer to the surface, much riskier due to the solar radiation and hazardous lunar dust. The scenes set on the surface were among the best in the book.

Even though I see dozens of 4- and 5-stars reviews, I struggled to get into this book. I didn't connect with most of the characters, with the exception of Marina Calzaghe. She’s one of the first characters introduced, and is struggling to survive in an extremely harsh physical and economic environment. She’s a highly sympathetic character, but unfortunately, very little time is devoted to her story, which only occasionally pops in for an update. Most of the other characters are completely unsympathetic, simple cutthroats with no morals or purpose other than to grab more than the next guy.

The book constantly jumps from viewpoint to viewpoint of the sons and daughters of the Corta family. The thing that bothered me most is that while the Corta siblings are the ones we are supposed to care about, there is little in the story to make me want to care about them. I understand they are competing against each other for the family mining company, while attempting to protect each other from other competing families that want to destroy them, but they really had no redeemable characteristics that drew me to them.

As expected from this author, the world-building is spectacular, which actually increased my rating. McDonald really created an exceedingly harsh, believable world. It reminded me a lot of Los Angeles as depicted in the brilliant movie, Blade Runner.

The writing is interesting, especially considering that it is written in third-person present tense. That took some getting used to, but ultimately, the book is well-written and well-developed. If you enjoy complex storylines that employ mafia-style generational families and all that entails, this one is right up your alley. ( )
  ssimon2000 | May 7, 2018 |
Once the reader has oriented herself, she will shoot through the rest of the book – pages flying, hurtling towards a brilliantly tense and readable denouement. I turned the last page gasping to read the second volume of McDonald’s dyad, out next year.

In a white room on the edge of the Sinus Medio sit six naked teenagers.
Then he realized that this was a subculture where everyone was a subculture.
The only beautiful thing on the moon is the people.
When you apply to go to the moon the LDC insists on a DNA test. If you plan on staying, if you plan on raising children, the LDC doesn’t want chronic genetic conditions showing up in later life, or in your descendants. My DNA is from all over Earth. Old World, New World ; Africa, eastern Mediterranean, western Mediterranean, Tupi, Japanese, Norwegian. I’m a planet in one woman.

As the leader of the Moon's newest "dragon," Adriana has wrested control of the Moon's Helium-3 industry from the Mackenzie Metal corporation and fought to earn her family's new status. Now, at the twilight of her life, Adriana finds her corporation, Corta Helio, surrounded by the many enemies she made during her meteoric rise. If the Corta family is to survive, Adriana's five children must defend their mother's empire from her many enemies... and each other.

"The Moon wants to kill you. Whether it's being unable to pay your per diem for your allotted food, water, and air, or you just get caught up in a fight between the Moon's ruling corporations, the Five Dragons. You must fight for every inch you want to gain in the Moon's near feudal society. And that is just what Adriana Corta did. As the leader of the Moon's newest "dragon," Adriana has wrested control of the Moon's Helium-3 industry from the Mackenzie Metal corporation and fought to earn her family's new status. Now, at the twilight of her life, Adriana finds her corporation, Corta Helio, surrounded by the many enemies she made during her meteoric rise. If the Corta family is to survive, Adriana's five children must defend their mother's empire from her many enemies... and each other"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,171,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible