Witches of Lychford by Paul Cornell

Witches of Lychford

by Paul Cornell

2502066,172 (3.82)51

[I received this book free from NetGalley in exchange for an unbiased review.] ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
There's nothing wrong with this book, it just didn't grab me enough to be four stars (and five is reserved for special favourites, like Charlotte's Web or Middlemarch or Bridge of Birds.

It's a nice, short, tight urban fantasy, with quite good writing, an engaging central character, but it's fairly slight, the plot itself isn't the most exciting thing in the world, and it didn't linger in the memory as some more evocative works have done (even ones I dislike have more staying power than this).

I'd certainly read him again to see if I like the next book better, and wouldn't argue against him if you're so inclined. It's fine. ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Sep 19, 2018 |
Wonderful. I want all of my friends to read it. ( )
  Jeeps | Jul 26, 2018 |
The Witches of Lychford by Paul Cornell was a quick read and the first in a series about a trio of women who come together to keep the forces of evil from finding an entrance to the world through their small English town. For centuries Lychford has been a barrier to keep the divide between the different dimensions separate, but the proposed new giant supermarket would change the village layout and destroy the barrier.

Three women, Judith, an older woman, a practising witch who is greatly disliked in the town as she has no patience for fools and is very brusque with them. Unfortunately, she considers most people to be fools. Autumn is the owner of the local magic shop, but believes more in science than in magic. She had a strange experience with the fey which cost her a year of her life, but prefers to believe this was a mental breakdown. Finally there is Lizzie, the new minister in the village. Lizzie is recovering from the death of her husband which she blames herself for. Her faith is a little shaky, but her convictions are needed to keep the forces of darkness at bay.

I found this a fun read about the dangers of holding both modernization and demons at bay with magic, religion and science. The three women are interesting and all have their own side issues to deal with that will probably be explored further in the next books. Since Lychford is the key to keeping evil at bay, I’m sure subsequent stories in this series will be interesting so I will keep these books in mind for quick simple reads. ( )
1 vote DeltaQueen50 | Feb 4, 2018 |
Definetly a pagetruner. Really loved it ( )
  annarellix | Jan 31, 2018 |
For the Wonderful Folk of Fairford
Judith Mawson was seventy-one years old, and she knew what people said about her: that she was bitter about nothing in particular, angry all the time, that the old cow only listened when she wanted to.
“But the other windows will stay as they are, but this window could be replaced by … a big set of French windows, when science catches up with magic.”

Judith rolled her eyes. “I’m trying to show you something ineffable and you’re planning an extension.”

Traveler, Cleric, Witch.

Traveler, Cleric, Witch. The villagers in the sleepy hamlet of Lychford are divided. A supermarket wants to build a major branch on their border. Some welcome the employment opportunities, while some object to the modernization of the local environment. Judith Mawson (local crank) knows the truth -- that Lychford lies on the boundary between two worlds, and that the destruction of the border will open wide the gateways to malevolent beings beyond imagination. But if she is to have her voice heard, she's going to need the assistance of some unlikely allies...… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,125,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible