Witches of Lychford by Paul Cornell

Witches of Lychford

by Paul Cornell

A large supermarket chain wants to build in Lychford. It would be great for the community, bringing jobs and ease of access for those who can't travel to other towns for inexpensive groceries. Unfortunately, it may also be the key to unlock some other unsavory elements.

Cornell packed a lot of character and plot development into this little novella. It was fun to read, and left me ready for more stories about these women. ( )
  MrsLee | Oct 8, 2017 |
A very short and enjoyable read. A few laugh-out-loud moments. I could see this being adapted to film. With the right actors, it would likely be a scary hoot. ( )
  ScoLgo | Jun 1, 2017 |
A surprisingly complex novella. Intriguing world building, great characterization in a short form, self contained story. I liked it, and I'm not generally a fan of shorter form fiction. ( )
  majkia | Feb 28, 2017 |
Compact and appealing. Will look forward to visiting Lychford again. ( )
  2wonderY | Jan 26, 2017 |
Short, but highly enjoyable. I love the premise: evil in the shape of a new supermarket chain. Some of the topics are very mundane, and I love this down-to-earth treatment of magic. To me, this is a true urban fantasy, because the real world is real, and not some brushed up parody of it, as we see in most urbans nowadays.
The characters were well-done, each with their own backstory and issues. Their interaction was natural and I liked seeing the three women unite. ( )
1 vote zjakkelien | Jan 2, 2017 |
For the Wonderful Folk of Fairford
Judith Mawson was seventy-one years old, and she knew what people said about her: that she was bitter about nothing in particular, angry all the time, that the old cow only listened when she wanted to.
“But the other windows will stay as they are, but this window could be replaced by … a big set of French windows, when science catches up with magic.”

Judith rolled her eyes. “I’m trying to show you something ineffable and you’re planning an extension.”

Traveler, Cleric, Witch.

The villagers in the sleepy hamlet of Lychford are divided. A supermarket wants to build a major branch on their border. Some welcome the employment opportunities, while some object to the modernization of the local environment.

Judith Mawson (local crank) knows the truth -- that Lychford lies on the boundary between two worlds, and that the destruction of the border will open wide the gateways to malevolent beings beyond imagination.

But if she is to have her voice heard, she's going to need the assistance of some unlikely allies...

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,629,192 books! | Top bar: Always visible