Dark Screams: Volume Five by Brian James…

Dark Screams: Volume Five

by Brian James Freeman (Editor), Richard Chizmar (Editor)

Other authors: Kealan Patrick Burke (Contributor), Mick Garris (Contributor), Del James (Contributor), J. Kenner (Contributor), Bentley Little (Contributor)

Series: Dark Screams (Volume 5)

199795,806 (3.75)None

I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley

Everything You've Always Wanted - wonderful writing and a compelling story. I loved it. The subject of a horror film maker who peaked in his 20's was fascinating. 5/5

The Land of Sunshine - Moody, atmospheric and confusing. 3/5

Mechanical Gratitude - not scary, not exciting, just meh. 3/5

The One and Only - I liked the tone of the story. It was creepy. I am not sure why she picked William. Did he have a past connection with her? 4/5

The Playhouse - This was a great story. Really interesting concept and well written. 4/5 ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
Dark Screams: Volume Five, from Brian James Freeman and Richard Chizmar with Mick Garris, J. Kenner, Kealan Patrick Burke, Del James, and Bentley Little bring horror to life. This is a five star anthology of stories that kept my attention.

Included in this frightening volume:

Everything You've Always Wanted by Mick Garris was a truly horrible story. He's being feted for the anniversary of the one film he made. He's in a hotel suite in Indianapolis. He showers & looks in the mirror at his naked body. "That stomach: How & when did it grow like this? It was like some kind of flesh luggage."

Later he meets the former star of a different older movie. "This creature was obviously female, as she had enormous round breasts climbing out of a scanty silk-and-sequin peekaboo gown that revealed more than anyone would want to see of her. Her arms crinkled like crepe-paper gift wrap when they bent, at odds with the smooth immobile skin of her face & breasts....She was quite monstrously sexualized in her presentation, but about as desirable as a camel in a skirt."

The One & Only by J. Kenner was a haunting tale that took place in New Orleans, a voodoo capital. "But when he looked at her--when he got lost in the hot ice of her eyes--he knew that she was right. That she was his future, his past, his present."

The Land of Sunshine by Kealan Patrick Burke had a mute wife & a troubled husband tortured by her silence. ..."though it had never bothered him before, her muteness now more than ever seemed like an infirmity destined to compound the inevitability of their dissolution."

Mechanical Gratitude by Del James will do anything to protect his '68 Camaro & does just that. "It took corners like a shark cruising on asphalt."

The Playhouse by Bentley Little was a haunting little tale about a real estate agent who makes life changes by visiting a playhouse on a property she's listing. "Wait a minute, she thought. Mud? Lois frowned. The property had been foreclosed on close to two months ago. It was summer. The mixture of dirt & water should have long since dried out."

I would like to thank Random House Publishing Group - Hydra & NetGalley for a complimentary kindle copy of this book. It did not change my opinion for this review. ( )
  carolyninjoy | Feb 28, 2016 |
This is a collection of five horror and suspense stories. While they were all well written, I think the first story "Everything You Always Wanted ", and the last story "The PlayHouse" were the best ones, with "The Playhouse" being the best of those two. The whole collection is worth a read and will be great entertainment for a cold, stormy night. Just remember to leave a light on.
I received this arc from NetGalley for an honest review. ( )
  BevAsh | Jan 24, 2016 |
I received this arc from NetGalley for an honest review. ( )
  BevAsh | Jan 24, 2016 |
Playful and Serious. This has been one of my favorite of the series. I love Bentley Little and his story here is true to his character. This was a good read for me with stories I feel I could read again and again. If you have read any of the other volumes then this is must read also. If you have not read any of the Dark Screams yet then this will be a good treat for you also. ( )
  Likwid | Oct 8, 2015 |

Freeman, Brian JamesEditorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chizmar, RichardEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Burke, Kealan PatrickContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Garris, MickContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
James, DelContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kenner, J.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Little, BentleyContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Brian James Freeman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,300,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible