Thirteen Ways of Looking: Fiction by Colum…

Thirteen Ways of Looking: Fiction (2015)

by Colum McCann

English (32)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (34)
While the short form doesn't quite allow for the character-building I've particularly loved about other McCann books I've read, these still made for extremely enjoyable reads. ( )
1 vote JBD1 | Dec 19, 2018 |
I particularly liked the short story "Sh'khol" in this set of four. They're all good, but the novella which is the title story was a little too much of a crime story for my liking. This is the first McCann work I've read and I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another of his books if my local library has one when I'm visiting. I would normally avoid the short format story because I like to explore the depths of characters, but even in a brief story McCann seems to be able to give the reader a remarkably deep insight into the characters. ( )
  oldblack | Nov 28, 2017 |
McCann has a sometimes witty, lyrical, captivating and multilayered narrative. He writes with depth and an ironical sense of tranquility. I am embarrassed to admit that this is the first book of McCann’s I have ever read. It will not be the last. He is definitely an author I will continue to explore! ( )
  BALE | Nov 10, 2017 |
Listened to the audiobook in fall of 2017. I really enjoyed the murder mystery novella. It had a slow unfolding that I really enjoyed. The other stories were more forgettable. ( )
  jscape2000 | Oct 21, 2017 |
What can I say about Colum McCann's writing except that it never disappoints! In this collection of four stories the reader can become completely drawn in in just moments. I laughed and then was angry with myself for laughing at a solemn moment. McCann's prose is witty, lyrical, and so very able to capture the essence of emotion. In one story he invites the reader into the writing process itself as he works through a contracted New Year's Eve tale. Never repetitive, always evocative! Great! ( )
  hemlokgang | Oct 10, 2017 |
Voor Lisa, Jackie, Mike en Karen.
Voor al diegenen die blijven bouwen aan Narrative 4.
Ter nagedachtenis aan mijn vader, Sean McCann.
De eerste is boven in een mahoniehouten boekenkast verborgen en bestrijkt de hele ruimte van de kamer waarin hij op een royaal tweepersoonsbed tussen een hoop kussens ligt te slapen.

In such acclaimed novels as Let the Great World Spin and TransAtlantic, National Book Award–winning author Colum McCann has transfixed readers with his precision, tenderness, and authority. Now, in his first collection of short fiction in more than a decade, McCann charts the territory of chance, and the profound and intimate consequences of even our smallest moments.

“As it was, it was like being set down in the best of poems, carried into a cold landscape, blindfolded, turned around, unblindfolded, forced, then, to invent new ways of seeing.”

In the exuberant title novella, a retired judge reflects on his life’s work, unaware as he goes about his daily routines that this particular morning will be his last. In “Sh’khol,” a mother spending Christmas alone with her son confronts the unthinkable when he disappears while swimming off the coast near their home in Ireland. In “Treaty,” an elderly nun catches a snippet of a news report in which it is revealed that the man who once kidnapped and brutalized her is alive, masquerading as an agent of peace. And in “What Time Is It Now, Where You Are?” a writer constructs a story about a Marine in Afghanistan calling home on New Year’s Eve.

Deeply personal, subtly subversive, at times harrowing, and indeed funny, yet also full of comfort, Thirteen Ways of Looking is a striking achievement. With unsurpassed empathy for his characters and their inner lives, Colum McCann forges from their stories a profound tribute to our search for meaning and grace. The collection is a rumination on the power of storytelling in a world where language and memory can sometimes falter, but in the end do not fail us, and a contemplation of the healing power of literature.

Praise for Colum McCann

Let the Great World Spin
Winner of the National Book Award

“One of the most electric, profound novels I have read in years.”—Jonathan Mahler, The New York Times Book Review

“Stunning . . . [an] elegiac glimpse of hope.”USA Today

“There’s so much passion and humor and pure life force on every page that you’ll find yourself giddy, dizzy, overwhelmed.”—Dave Eggers

TransAtlantic
Longlisted for the Man Booker Prize and the International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award

“Reminiscent of the finest work of Michael Ondaatje and Michael Cunningham.”O: The Oprah Magazine

“Here is the uncanny thing McCann finds again and again about the miraculous: that it is inseparable from the everyday.”The Boston Globe

“Another sweeping, beautifully constructed tapestry of life . . . Reading McCann is a rare joy.”The Seattle Times

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 07 Jul 2015 07:17:40 -0400)

A story collection includes the title novella, in which an octogenarian retired judge's musings on his life are interrupted by police updates about his murder later that afternoon.

Colum McCann is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Colum McCann chatted with LibraryThing members from Mar 1, 2010 to Mar 14, 2010. Read the chat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,815,301 books! | Top bar: Always visible