dismiss

What Angels Fear

by C. S. Harris

Series: Sebastian St. Cyr Mysteries (1)

The prime suspect in the brutal rape and murder of a young woman whose body is left in an ancient church, young aristocrat Sebastian St. Cyr becomes a fugitive and flees a ruthless powerbroker with ties to the Prince Regent.

Sherlock Holmes Poldark, multiplied by James Bond. ( )
  loganaube | Jul 31, 2020 |
I don't even like mystery, but my timeline always had much to say about this series.

And I liked this. So engaging. Nicely character -driven. ( )
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
I liked the protagonists in this novel very much. I was especially drawn to Tom, the urchin rescued by Sebastian. The execution of the mystery and its slightly unrelenting chase-and-hide sequences was rather tedious at times and the murders pretty gritty. However, the historical storyline is an intriguing start to this series and I'm regarding it as introductions to the supporting players. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Jun 27, 2020 |
I really wanted to love this series! So many of the people I follow looooove it, but for me it was eh.
So, it's not the book! It's my taste. ( )
  Alevis | May 17, 2020 |
After reading this one, I can understand the love out there some readers have for this series. Harris (who also writes as Candice Proctor) gives readers a wonderfully crafted, well-paced mystery steeped in atmosphere, setting and politics of the Regency period. Sebastian St. Cyr is my kind of character. The author bills Sebastian as “Mr. Darcy with a James Bond edge”. Not sure I agree with the Bond bit. Maybe more “Mr. Darcy with Edmund Dante’s edge”, IMO. A dashing nobleman with a notorious reputation and a determination to clear his name of the crimes he did not commit. Yes, he could have just “jumped ship” for the continent or even America, but then we wouldn’t have such an interesting story, would we? Happily, Harris provides us with an equally strong and intelligent female lead in Kat Boleyn, the love that got away and then came back. As with any good mystery, Harris provides Sebastian with some key helpers, including opium addicted Dr. Paul Gibson for medical/autopsy skill and the young street urchin Tom. For opponents, we have Lord Jarvis, an already powerful man positioning himself to be the right hand of the new Prince Reagent and the boss of chief magistrate Sir Henry Lovejoy, who thankfully, respects the art and new scientific methods of detection, even if Jarvis thinks he can just incarcerate someone with scant to no evidence. Oh wait…. That was routine back then, wasn’t it?

Parts of the story are a little eye-rolling, like how Sebastian always seems to be that cape-clad individual escaping though an open window, on an appropriated horse or down a stairwell as the magistrate, constable and Bow Street runners are fast on his tail. I was also a tad suspicious of Sebastian’s uber-acute hearing and eyesight, but the author accounts for this as being Bithil Syndrome but I was unable to confirm this so will just accept it as a “thing” and enjoy the story and the series for the historical fiction mystery that it is. I already have the second book in the series, When Gods Die ready to go. ( )
  lkernagh | Feb 29, 2020 |

C. S. Harrisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gant, Jamie A.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maximilian Stock LTDJacket photographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raven, DeborahJacket photographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sigal, ElkeDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
No place so sacred from such fops is barred,

Nor is Paul's Church more safe than Paul's Churchyard;

Nay fly to altars; there they'll talk you dead,

For fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

-- Alexander Pope,

An Essay on Criticism
For my husband
Steven Ray Harris
for more reasons than I could name
She blamed the fog.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,184,877 books! | Top bar: Always visible