Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel

Sleeping Giants

by Sylvain Neuvel

1,2191029,570 (3.76)64
Recently added bycatwithwifi, rena75, regina-phalange, jemmatcf, c_doherty, private library, therapite, roses7184

English (100)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (102)
I knew nothing about this book going into it, and was pleasantly surprised to find myself drawn into it, intrigued by the mysteries of alien robots and the well-fleshed-out interpersonal relationships of the team working on uncovering those mysteries. Books told in a sort of found footage format like this one or World War Z are not something that I specifically seek out, and I wouldn't say that they're in my wheelhouse, per se, but I always find them fascinating when I come across them. They're a different breed than your straight prose novel; a story dressed up as nonfiction documents, which has to both tell a good story and be convincing in a variety of different voices and formats. And Sleeping Giants does a fantastic job of doing all of that! I really enjoyed this book, and if giant robot aliens and their effect on society sounds like your kind of thing... check this one out! ( )
  VLarkinAnderson | Sep 24, 2018 |
I loved this book!

This novel is told through interviews and journal entries, and it was super immersive, which I didn't expect when I started listening to it. Plus, the cast was awesome in this audiobook! I've listened to a couple full case narrations, but this one blew them all away and definitely comes in the top three - possible *the* top - audiobook recording I've every listened to. Brava to the cast!

I thought I would lose interest in Sleeping Giants when they found all Themis' pieces, but the story kept me wrapped up. Sylvain Neuvel is really good at making the reader attached to the characters, so by the time the search was over, I was invested in Kara's future and wellbeing. There's a lot to still know and it definitely feels like a book intended for a trilogy. I'm hooked, though, so I'll be reading more. ( )
  Morteana | Sep 22, 2018 |
Space. Governments. Science. Aliens. Geniuses. And throw in a couple of badassery. This book is by far one of the most intense, puzzling, unpredictable book I’ve read. I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves sci fi, badass women, bookworms on a reading slump...just anyone! Anyone can read this and will love this! And oh wait what? It’s a debut novel! How brilliant is that? The author dropped out of high school and wrote something this fantastic? How will I ever explain to kids that high school IS everything so you need to finish your homework? Not saying that the author wrote this right after dropping out. I digress. My brain feels like it’s on overdrive, my neurons are firing everywhere, I’m all excited and now I just want to stay at home and read on. Dinner? This book will be my dinner! My eyes will feed on this book and it shall nourish me! 😂😂 ( )
  pistachioph | Aug 25, 2018 |
Fun book to read. Almost all is dialogue however. I also read the second in the trilogy- Waking Gods, but eventually grew bored and have no interest in finishing by reading the third book.They are more like comic books or junk food- good for a little while but all empty calories. ( )
  keithostertag | Aug 17, 2018 |
There is a fascinating conceit at the center of this story, where pieces of giant robots are found buried in obscure locations around the world, and appear to have been there for millenia. The efforts made to find missing pieces and fit them together and make the technology work again are fascinating, but I'm afraid I found the human characters paper thin, and sometimes incomprehensible. Perhaps this was a result of the way this novel was written, as a series of interview transcripts. I think that served to distance me, the reader, from all of the characters, and left me impatient with them when certain turns of the plot required utter stupidity on somebody's part. I might expect that in a teenage slasher movie, but not in a storyline revolving around the recruitment of the most capable folks they can find to work on unraveling this mystery. ( )
  pat_macewen | Jul 27, 2018 |
A Théodore.
Maintenant, on va t'appendre
à lire... et l'anglais
It was my eleventh birthday.

A girl named Rose is riding her new bike near her home in Deadwood, South Dakota, when she falls through the earth. She wakes up at the bottom of a square hole, its walls glowing with intricate carvings. But the firemen who come to save her peer down upon something even stranger: a little girl in the palm of a giant metal hand.

Seventeen years later, the mystery of the bizarre artifact remains unsolved—its origins, architects, and purpose unknown. Its carbon dating defies belief; military reports are redacted; theories are floated, then rejected.

But some can never stop searching for answers.

Rose Franklin is now a highly trained physicist leading a top secret team to crack the hand’s code. And along with her colleagues, she is being interviewed by a nameless interrogator whose power and purview are as enigmatic as the provenance of the relic. What’s clear is that Rose and her compatriots are on the edge of unraveling history’s most perplexing discovery—and figuring out what it portends for humanity. But once the pieces of the puzzle are in place, will the result prove to be an instrument of lasting peace or a weapon of mass destruction?
big underground hand / made of luminous metal / part of something big? (tomzorz)

"17 years ago: A girl in South Dakota falls through the earth, then wakes up dozens of feet below ground on the palm of what seems to be a giant metal hand. Today: She is a top-level physicist leading a team of people to understand exactly what that hand is, where it came from, and what it portends for humanity. A swift and spellbinding tale told almost exclusively through transcriptions of interviews conducted by a mysterious and unnamed character, this is a unique debut that describes a hunt for truth, power, and giant body parts"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,524,910 books! | Top bar: Always visible