SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

Kushiel's Chosen

by Jacqueline Carey

Series: Kushiel's Legacy (2), Phèdre Trilogy (2)

Mighty Kushiel, of rod and wealLate of the brazen portalsWith blood-tipp'd dart a wound unhealedPricks the eyen of chosen mortals.The land of Terre d'Ange is a place of unsurpassed beauty and grace. The inhabiting race rose from the seed of angels and men, and they live by one simple rule: Love as thou wilt.Phèdre nó Delaunay was sold into indentured servitude as a child. Her bond was purchased by a nobleman, the first to recognize that she is one pricked by Kushiel's Dart, chosen to forever experience pain and pleasure as one. He trained Phèdre in the courtly arts and the talents of the bedchamber-and, above all, the ability to observe, remember, and analyze.When she stumbled upon a plot that threatened the very foundations of her homeland, she gave up almost everything she held dear to save it. She survived, and lived to have others tell her story, and if they embellished the tale with fabric of mythical splendor, they weren't far off the mark.The hands of the gods weigh heavily upon Phèdre's brow, and they are not finished with her. While the young queen who sits upon the throne is well loved by the people, there are those who believe another should wear the crown...and those who escaped the wrath of the mighty are not yet done with their schemes for power and revenge.… (more)

A worthy follow-up to Kushiel's Dart. I gasped at some parts, cried at others. Slow at the beginning, but a real page turner before long. I'm eager to see what awaits Phedre, Jocelin, Melisande and Hyacinthe in the last book in the trilogy. ( )
  Cerestheories | Nov 8, 2021 |
This series is a guilty pleasure beach read for me. I read it every few years and while it isn't the most engaging story or the best written I find it enjoyable and worth the time. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
I love the detail in these books. What a fabulous world. ( )
  LoisSusan | Dec 10, 2020 |
Kushiel’s Chosen is the second book in the first of three trilogies in the Kushiel’s Universe books. It picks up not long after the first book left off, and Phèdre decides to pursue one of the loose ends from that first book. As before, the story ends with a satisfying conclusion to the main issues, but with some loose ends left to carry into the next book.

I enjoyed this as much as the first book, but not as evenly. The first half was on the slow side and easy to put down, but things really picked up in the second half and then I raced through to the end. Part of my frustration in the first half was all the angst between Phèdre and Joscelin. That grew tiresome fast. Once that was no longer a constant part of the story, I enjoyed it more.

The writing was a little more polished, I think. I didn’t find myself confused by certain sentences the way I did at times in the first book. It also didn’t feel as overly stylized as the first book sometimes did, if that’s the correct term for it. Part of that might just be because I’ve read over 1600 pages of it now and have become accustomed to it. She does continue to use “somewhat” in abundance, though. For example, ”No, I need somewhat else.”

For those concerned, there are 80 instances of “somewhat” in this book, compared to 79 instances in the previous and longer book. So the “somewhat” quotient has increased, but the boob quotient on the other hand (for those who read my reviews of Brent Weeks’ Lightbringer series) has remained low in both books, despite all the sex. ;) Speaking of sex, I thought there was quite a bit less of it in this book. Phèdre doesn’t solve quite everything with it this time, although her great beauty is still highly influential!

A character was introduced in this book whose name is the title for the second trilogy, so I can’t help but speculate about that. I look forward to reading the final book in this trilogy, and I hope for a satisfying resolution to some of the ongoing plot threads, but I suspect at least one plot thread will be left dangling to lead into the next trilogy. ( )
1 vote YouKneeK | Nov 21, 2020 |
Great voice, character development, exciting and engaging plot. Relationships between people are satisfying. A little too politically complicated to follow, and the bouncing around continuously on the quest felt a little tiresome after a while, but overall excellent. ( )
  askannakarenina | Sep 16, 2020 |

Carey, Jacquelineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Flosnik, AnneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nguyen, TranCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
DANKBETUIGING

Aan al mijn vrienden, familie of niet, ver weg en nabij, om hun begrip voor mijn worsteling, hun vergeving van mijn gebrek aan tijd, de ruimte en vrijheid die ze me gaven, de vreugde (en joie) die ze met me deelden, het vragen, het luisteren, de geschreven en toegestuurde notities, de avonden op de veranda, de gedronken champagne en uitgesproken heilwensen, voor het lezen, voor het laten uitwieken van de vleugels van het verhaal, voor het doorvertellen: bedankt. Duizendmaal bedankt!
No one would deny that I have known hardship in my time, brief though it has been for all that I have done in it.
A steady breeze blew at our backs, and the ships leapt forward like winged creatures, plunging buoyantly over the deep-blue waves.

ollowing hard on the heels of Kushiel's Dart, Jacqueline Carey's spectacular debut novel, comes Kushiel's Chosen, a glittering and riveting historical fantasy.

The land of Terre d'Ange is a place of unsurpassed beauty and grace. It is said that the angels found the land and saw it was good, and the ensuing race that rose from the seed of angels and men live by one simple rule: Love as thou wilt.

Phèdre nó Delaunay is a young woman who was born with a scarlet mote in her left eye and sold into indentured servitude as a child. Her bond was purchased by Anafiel Delaunay, a nobleman with a very special mission--and the first to recognize her for who and what she is: one pricked by Kushiel's Dart, chosen to forever experience pain and pleasure as one.
Phèdre has trained in the courtly arts and the talents of the bedchamber, but, above all, the ability to observe, remember, and analyze. Having stumbled upon a plot that threatened the very foundations of her homeland, she gave up almost everything she held dear to save it. She survived, and lived to have others tell her story, and if they embellished the tale with fabric of mythical splendor, they weren't far off the mark.

The hands of the gods weigh heavily upon Phèdre's brow, and they are not yet done with their charge--for while the young queen who sits upon the throne is well loved by the people, there are those who believe that other heads should wear the crown. And those who escaped the wrath of the mighty are not yet done with their schemes for power and revenge. To protect and serve, Phèdre will once again leave her beloved homeland.

From the sun-drenched villas of La Serenissima to the wilds of old Hellas, from a prison designed to drive the very gods mad to an island of immutable joy. Phèdre will meet old friends and new enemies and discover a plot so dreadful as to make the earth tremble, masterminded by the one person she cannot turn away from.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,350,641 books! | Top bar: Always visible