The Tea Planter's Wife by Dinah Jefferies

The Tea Planter's Wife

by Dinah Jefferies

English (123)  Latvian (1)  All languages (124)
Riassunto in #maiunagioia, ha una partenza molto lenta e noiosa ma si riprende da metà in poi. Un romanzo né bello né brutto. La storia non è malvagia ma, evidentemente, lo stile narrativo la penalizza parecchio.

elerwen | May 29, 2019 |
I buddy read this book with Erin, Stephanie, and Heather!
The Tea Planter's Wife is about a young woman named Gwen who arrives in Ceylon to start her new life as a married woman to a tea planter named Laurence who is a widower. But, before we get to met Gwen is there a prolog about a woman with a small child and I wondered what the woman would have for connections to the story.

Gwen meets on the ship Savi Ravisinghe and I was worried for a while that this would turn out to be a love-triangle, but the story thankfully never turned in that directions. However, Savi will have a role to play in the story.

As I stated above did I buddy read this with some friends of mine and that was an interesting experience with us discussed the chapters we had read once every week. But, somewhere along the way the story just didn't move forward at a pleasant pace and suddenly a break in reading and discussing the book happened and weeks passed and we just didn't read more. Then I decided that enough is enough, now I will finish the book.

So, I'm looking forward to seeing what my friends think about the rest of the books. For me, I was happy to get answers at last, but I still felt that the book story didn't really work for me and my biggest problem was that I never really cared for most of the characters in the book. Gwen just never become an interesting character, and I was constantly irritated by her attitude towards her sister-in-law Verity. And, at the same time, I found Verity highly annoying. So I was constantly frustrated with them both. And, then we have Laurence, Gwen's husband, and to be honest, he was quite dull and even the "mystery" with his dead wife felt a bit dull. The only characters I did like was Gwen's cousin Fran, but she was hardly in the book.

For me, this book just didn't work. It never really got surprising or engrossing enough to make me truly enjoy the book and the last part of the book I finished just because I had been reading the book so long that I wanted finally to get it off my reading list. I did like it enough to finish the book and I did enjoy part of the book. But, I think the book would have worked better if I had found the characters more likable or at least more interesting.

I want to thank The Crown Publishing Group for providing me with a free copy through Edelweiss! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
A delightful book. unsophisticated, romantic at its best and nothing more. A typical story that appears in many books in various variations in which a naive and inexperienced young woman married to an older wealthy man while he is holding a secret.

Unfortunately, I didn't find depth in the book. It was possible to add some background to the racial situation in Ceylon and to all the changes that occurred during that period.

ALL IN ALL
It's a nice ROMANTIC book. ( )
  RUTHKOLOCKR | Jan 11, 2019 |
A great periodic novel that tackles a poignant issue of the time.

The writing is compelling and draws the reader in with its powerful plot and smooth narrative.

For a complete review please click on the link below or paste it onto your browser.

http://onerightword.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/the-tea-planters-wife-dinah-jefferies... ( )
  ashkrishwrites | Aug 29, 2018 |
What a beautifully written book.
This is a story of a newly married young woman who decides to move away from England to live with her husband on a tea plantation in Ceylon. We watch as she transforms from a naïve girl to a mature strong-minded woman. Through all the trials and tribulations, she never loses focus of who she is; a person full of love and desire to see everyone treated fairly.
I loved reading this book. I became utterly attached to Gwen. She is so sweet and loving. I compared myself to her throughout the read and realized I should be more openly loving. Due to this love, she felt the need to protect the image of her husband. I was sad she felt the need to keep secrets.
Laurence is a widower and quite a bit older than his young bride. However, you can see how much he loves Gwen. He is still haunted by the demons of his past, but slowly he learns how to let go. Gwen is now his wife, his love, his future.
Laurence’s sister, Verity, has demons of her own, but hasn’t been successful in conquering them. She spends most of her time dependent upon the generosity of her brother and new sister-in-law. I was angry with her throughout most of the book. “Selfish” is merely the tip of the iceberg.
At a deeper level, this story is about race and class inequality. There is much tension between the Tamil, Sinhalese, and English. Cultural differences, voting rights, and National language are but a few issues threatening the once prosperous country. Riots and protests are becoming the norm. Everyone is on edge. No place is truly safe from people fighting for their rights. The microcosm that is the plantation directly correlates with the country’s climate.
  Bibliodiction | Apr 28, 2018 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0241969557, Paperback)

Dinah Jefferies' unforgettable new novel, The Tea Planter's Wife is a haunting, tender portrait of a woman forced to choose between her duty as a wife and her instinct as a mother... Nineteen-year-old Gwendolyn Hooper steps off a steamer in Ceylon full of optimism, eager to join her new husband. But the man who greets her at the tea plantation is not the same one she fell in love with in London. Distant and brooding, Laurence spends long days wrapped up in his work, leaving his young bride to explore the plantation alone. It's a place filled with clues to the past - locked doors, a yellowed wedding dress in a dusty trunk, an overgrown grave hidden in the grounds, far too small for an adult... Gwen soon falls pregnant and her husband is overjoyed, but she has little time to celebrate. In the delivery room the new mother is faced with a terrible choice, one she knows no one in her upper class set will understand - least of all Laurence. Forced to bury a secret at the heart of her marriage, Gwen is more isolated than ever. When the time comes, how will her husband ever understand what she has done? The Tea Planter's Wife is a story of guilt, betrayal and untold secrets vividly and entrancingly set in colonial era Ceylon.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 01 Sep 2015 14:27:43 -0400)

Nineteen-year-old Gwendolyn Hooper is newly married to a rich and charming widower, eager to join him on his tea plantation, determined to be the perfect wife and mother. But life in Ceylon is not what Gwen expected. The plantation workers are resentful, the neighbours treacherous. And there are clues to the past - a dusty trunk of dresses, an overgrown gravestone in the grounds - that her husband refuses to discuss. Just as Gwen finds her feet, disaster strikes. She faces a terrible choice, hiding the truth from almost everyone, but a secret this big can't stay buried forever...… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Dinah Jefferies's book The Tea Planter's Wife was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,543,043 books! | Top bar: Always visible