The Cracked Spine

by Paige Shelton

In need of a good adventure, Delaney Nichols takes the leap and moves to Edinburgh, Scotland, to start a job at The Cracked Spine. She doesn't know much about what she's gotten herself into, other than that the work sounds exciting, and that her new boss, Edwin MacAlister, has given her the opportunity of a lifetime. When she arrives, she meets her new Scottish family; also working at the Cracked Spine are Rosie, perpetually wrapped in scarves, and who always has tiny dog Hector in tow; Hamlet, a nineteen-year-old thespian with a colored past and bright future; and Edwin, who is just as enigmatic and mysterious as Delaney expected. But before she can settle into her new life, a precious artifact-a previously undiscovered First Folio of Shakespeare's plays-goes missing, and Edwin's sister is murdered, seemingly in connection to the missing folio. Delaney decides to do some sleuthing of her own, to find out just what the real story is behind the priceless folio, and how it's connected to the tragic death, all without getting harmed herself.… (more)

I picked this up on the hunt for a new cozy mystery series. I love books, I love bookstores, I love cozy murders, but this just didn't do it for me. Something about the writing style hit me the wrong way, and the main character's acceptance into her new community was just a little too fast for me. Not terrible, but I'm still on the look for a new series. ( )
  duchessjlh | May 11, 2021 |
"I often say that we should only be judged on two things: if we're kind, and if we read books. Kindness is priority number one, but the books part is important too. If you don't read, I know you are someone who needs a reader tae show you the light." --Edwin--

I was absolutely struck by that quote, it seems a wonderful philosophy to live by.

The one critique I have regards Delaney's penchant for hearing voices from book characters, it just adds nothing to the story and seems strange. Other than that I enjoyed the mystery and adventure of "The Cracked Spine." ( )
  mbellucci | Apr 10, 2021 |
So, yet another book where our heroine has some kind of magical power, but for once I didn’t find it annoying. Delaney loses her job at a Kansas museum and decides to take a chance and respond to an add to work in a bookstore in Scotland. Getting the job she finds herself in Edinburgh working at The Cracked Spine bookstore. Edwin, the owner, had just starting reviewing her job duties when he gets word his sister has died. Now, to save her job she must save her boss from going to jail. ( )
  Colleen5096 | Oct 29, 2020 |
I absolutely love this series, and make a little “squee!” Sound when I find out the next one is on pre-order.
Scotland, paranormal, bookshop, secret society of collector’s, back room hidden, weird, museum of sorts with artifacts that would make any archeologist or wannabe archeologist, drool. Books that ‘speak’ to the MC and help her solve the case.
Great characters...wonderful plots...and the author even mention’s Greyfriar’s Bobby...which Put me over the moon.
Just buy them all and binge read. You’ll thank me! ( )
  BettinaMJohnson | Oct 11, 2020 |

A cozy mystery set in Edinburgh. This novel starts of rather slowly, followed by somewhat erratic pacing throughout. I also found the main character's (Delaney) sudden desire to investigate the murder of someone she has never met, in a foreign city she knows nothing about, rather illogical. It seemed to be out of character. Some other aspects of this novel were also a bit silly or not particularly believable, in my opinion. Still, a cute story to pass the time on a rainy evening. ( )
  ElentarriLT | Mar 24, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,188,333 books! | Top bar: Always visible