The Cracked Spine by Paige Shelton

Decent - The mystery was rolled up in the last few pages and was a wee bit disappointing - I expected something a little more complicated. I'd read the next in this series. ( )
  anglophile65 | May 23, 2017 |
Delaney Nichols has lost her job at the museum she worked for in Kansas and is now looking for another job. She reads of a bookstore in Scotland seeking an adventurer. She doesn't think of herself until that point but something about the ad, or perhaps it's Scotland calling. When she gets to Scotland she's immediately drawn into secrets and the owner's sister's murder.

This is a lovely introduction to a new series filled with eccentric characters, a heroine who has a unique ability that I look forward to reading more about, a couple of interesting men and of course a bookstore - all of which is in a place I want to visit. Really looking forward to learning more about the characters and seeing what else Delaney is going to get into. ( )
  mmoj | Mar 2, 2017 |
Delaney relocates to Scotland to work in a rare-bookstore called The Cracked Spine. Everyone she meets is overly friendly and wants to help/take care of her. There’s a mysterious treasure trove of valuable artifacts in the basement and a valuable rare Shakespearean folio has gone missing and there is suspicion that the Edwin, the bookshop owner’s sister sold it since she was a recovering drug addict and the thinking was that she had returned to drugs ( )
  Kathy89 | Dec 16, 2016 |
First, the setting was the best part of this book; I've never actually been to Edinburgh (yet) but I felt like I was there. Writing in dialect sometimes got on my nerves, but mostly I found it added to the characters and story rather than detracting from them.

The bookshop, The Cracked Spine, sounds amazing and I would have liked to have had the story spend more time inside the shop with its wonders (especially the 'warehouse'), than outside in dodgy neighbourhoods.

The plot was certainly a mystery; I never had any inkling who murdered Jenny, but I'm not sure anyone could have known as the author pulled a Christie and didn't set the story up to be solved. Lots of red herrings though.

The characters are what I struggled with here and having read Shelton's other work, I'm not surprised. Her characters tend to be hit or miss with me and I feel like there's often just something missing that's keeping me from connecting with them and really caring about their outcomes. She sometimes nails it, as she does with Jerome and Betts in her Country Fried Cooking school series and it's why I keep coming back. I suspect here, part of my failure to connect with Delaney is her wide-eyed naivety; she acts a bit like a 12 year old just orphaned rather than a well-educated woman who had a successful career in a museum before moving to The Cracked Spine.

I'll definitely read the next one, and I hope that we'll spend more time in the bookshop with the treasures there, and that Delaney sheds the innocent farm girl schtick. ( )
  murderbydeath | Oct 16, 2016 |
I wanted to like this book, but I just couldn't make it happen. I read a little over half of it before calling it a day. I never felt a connection with any of the characters and really didn't care who the murderer was. ( )
  mandolin | Sep 14, 2016 |

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,221,717 books! | Top bar: Always visible