Why Did the Chicken Cross the Road? (2006)

by Marla Frazee

Other authors: Jon Agee (Illustrator), Tedd Arnold (Illustrator), Harry Bliss (Illustrator), David Catrow (Illustrator), Mary Grandpré (Illustrator)4 more, Jerry Pinkney (Illustrator), Chris Raschka (Illustrator), Judy Schachner (Illustrator), David Shannon (Illustrator)

A collection of pictures drawn by different artists. Various award-winning artists present their own verison of the classic joke, from Marle Frazee's chicken who is searching for a luxury "coop," to Mo Willems's chicken who confesses his motives to a police officer.

I read this a few years ago and just didn't get it. My son picked this up during the last library visit, and I really enjoyed it. In 2008 gave it 2 starts, 2011 I'd give it 4, 2o I'll split the difference and rate it 3. ( )
  MrsBond | Jun 27, 2023 |
This book was Awesome. A bunch of great children’s authors were given the same question: Why did the chicken cross the road” and then asked to visually give us their answer. My favorite is of course David Catrow, but Mo Willems comes in a close second.
#Wintergames #teamreadnosereindeer +16 ( )
  LibrarianRyan | Dec 15, 2020 |
Summary: A composition of various authors and their "Why did the chicken cross the rode?" jokes. All jokes are unalike and equally hilarious.

Personal reflection: This book made me laugh almost every page! I enjoyed hearing the new spin off jokes from the original "How did the chicken cross the ride?"

Class Use: I would read this after recess to re-group and gain unity again and I would also use this book to read aloud and then have students create their own jokes and have them read their jokes aloud to the class as a fun and goofy way to get out energy.
  MelissaKlatt | Apr 26, 2015 |
I'd say this isn't really a children's book, although my five year old found it hilarious. It's a sampler of picture book artists, and a very good one at that. Seeing them all illustrate the same theme gives you a very good idea of each artist's personality, humor, style and skill. Many of our favorites were included in this book: [a:David Catrow|84062|David Catrow|https://www.goodreads.com/assets/nophoto/user/m_50x66-e89fc14c32a41c0eb4298dfafe929b65.png], [a:Marla Frazee|122662|Marla Frazee|https://www.goodreads.com/assets/nophoto/user/u_50x66-d9f6a4a5badfda0f69e70cc94d962125.png], [a:Jerry Pinkney|70868|Jerry Pinkney|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1373692582p2/70868.jpg], [a:David Shannon|21346|David Shannon|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1265301888p2/21346.jpg], and a couple of unfamiliar ones got me intrigued: [a:Judy Schachner|78407|Judy Schachner|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1210621485p2/78407.jpg] and [a:Chris Sheban|443700|Chris Sheban|https://www.goodreads.com/assets/nophoto/user/u_50x66-d9f6a4a5badfda0f69e70cc94d962125.png]. ( )
  Fjola | Apr 23, 2015 |
This book gives perspectives of why the chicken cross the road from many different authors. They are all unique and very funny!
  margaritamunoz14 | Mar 20, 2015 |

Schachner, JudyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Shannon, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Willems, Mosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,056,015 books! | Top bar: Always visible