A Dying Light in Corduba (1996)

by Lindsey Davis

Series: Marcus Didius Falco (8)

Nobody was poisoned at the dinner for the Society of Oliver Oil Producers of Baetica, though in retrospect this was quite a surprise...Inimitable sleuth Marcus Didius Falco is back with a vengeance. On one night, a man is killed and Rome's Chief of Spies left for dead/ This leaves no one except Falco to conduct the investigation. Soon he is plunged into the fiercely competitive world of olive oil production. Political intrigue, an exotic Spanish dancer and impending fatherhood all add to Falco's troubles.… (more)

English (10)  Spanish (1)  All languages (11)
Not the best in the series, but that's still pretty good. I re-read it later to look back at how they got to where they reached in subsequent books. ( )
  Tchipakkan | Dec 26, 2019 |
This is a typical Falco detective mystery set this time in Roman Spain. Here we get a close look at the commodities markets that supplied Rome. In this case the olive oil cartel where some of the key players are trying market manipulation and are not playing nicely. Falco is on hand to sort things out along with his pregnant girl friend and their dog Nux. Why anyone would take an expectant mother and an annoying dog halfway across the Empire to solve a murder mystery is beyond me. However, they are fun and keep our hero on his toes. ( )
  varielle | Jan 4, 2017 |
Another bit of fun from the Falco series, enjoyable reading for when you don't want to have to engage your brain. Davis manages to make Roman society sound remarkably like our own. 15 December 2016 ( )
  alanca | Dec 22, 2016 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
http://www.BookCrossing.com/journal/13409290 ( )

Sabaté, HernánTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vaccarini, Maria ElenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

In memory of Edith Pargeter
Nobody was poisoned at the dinner for the Society of Olive Oil Producers of Baetica - though in retrospect, that was quite a surprise.
Details to follow, but rumours that the baby was delivered by the father while the mother yelled, 'I don't need you; I'll do it myself, just like I have to do everything!' are believed to exaggerate.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,443,254 books! | Top bar: Always visible