Lady of Quality by Georgette Heyer

Lady of Quality (1972)

by Georgette Heyer

English (40)  German (1)  All languages (41)
If I have a complaint about Heyer's novels, it is that the plots and characters are repetitive. In fact, I selected Lady of Quality because it was the one unique storyline of the choices at the library. Annis Wychwood is one of Heyer's best heroines, in the vein of Sophy Stanton-Lacy (The Grand Sophy), Deborah Granthan (Faro's Daughter) and Elinor Rochdale (The Reluctant Widow) - independent, intelligent, witty - and though her hero, Oliver Carleton, isn't as fleshed out as some of her other heros, your heart will leap for Annis when he asks for her hand. Heyer also creates one of the more brilliant annoying characters in Annis's companion, Maria Farlow. I'm giving five stars because, while I'm not sure I would reread Lady of Quality, I would recommend it to anyone.

Edited to add 11/21/16 - Read this the last two days and, I swear to God, I didn't remember a stitch of it. Though, I suppose the idea of the sameness of Heyer's plots niggling in the back of my mind should have given me pause. Today, I would give it three stars, and wouldn't recommend it to anyone but a Heyer completist. What a different three years makes. ( )
  MelissaLenhardt | Mar 11, 2018 |
Another rollicking romp from Heyer. No real surprise about what happens, but as funny and enjoyable as the others I've read. ( )
  JBD1 | Feb 27, 2018 |
Theme of the runaway heiress befriended by Annis, the spirited, unmarried lady, is similar to other Heyer novels. Oliver Carlton is an engaging character who provokes Annis and sets the Bath quizzes buzzing. Much better story than 'Sprig Muslin'. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Sep 24, 2017 |
Romance in a period novel of early 19th century England. The descriptions of society in the town of Bath are insightful aas well as engaging. It is fun to step back in time and enjoy a d romanace. ( )
1 vote Bettesbooks | Mar 23, 2017 |
Fun romance. A lady who's used to being on her own, and a man famous for his rudeness, collide over his niece's care...and happy ever after. I suspect Lady Wychwood was right, and Lucilla and Ninian might get together once they grow up a little. There's not much to the story, except the characters and their interactions - Maria was incredibly annoying, and deserves to be dumped out on her ear (not clear what will happen to her, by the end of the book). Annis and Oliver bicker, elegantly, every time they meet - and their conversations are quite amusing. I like Annis with Amabel and with her brother - at least, when I'm not being annoyed by them too. Not a favorite, but worth reading and probably worth rereading. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Mar 8, 2017 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Matheson, EveNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The elegant travelling carriage which bore Miss Wychwood from her birthplace, on the border of Somerset and Wiltshire, to her home in Bath, proceeded on its way at a decorous pace.
"I lied when I said I like you! I do not like you! I am very nearly sure that I dislike you excessively."
* Dit boek is ook uitgegeven onder de titel: De Liefde van een Lady..

Spirited, independent and in her late twenties, Miss Annis Wychwood held herself to be past the age for falling in love.

Befriending a pretty runaway heiress brings unexpected consequences, among them the very conflicting emotions aroused by her encounters with the wayward girl's guardian, Mr Oliver Carleton, who was quite the rudest man Annis had ever met...

When spirited, independent Miss Annis Wynchwood embroils herself in the affairs of a runaway heiress, she is destined to see a good deal of Lucilla’s uncivil and high-handed guardian Mr Oliver Carleton.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:59 -0400)

When Miss Annis Wychwood offers sanctuary to the very young runaway heiress Miss Lucilla Carleton, no one at all thinks this is a good idea. With the exception of Miss Carleton's overbearing guardian, Mr. Oliver Carleton, whose reputation as the rudest man in London precedes him. Outrageous as he is, the charming Annis ends up finding him absolutely irresistible.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,136,662 books! | Top bar: Always visible