S Is for Silence by Sue Grafton

S Is for Silence

by Sue Grafton

Series: The Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Mysteries (19)

How to Lose a Client by Becky A. Bartness (readafew)
    readafew: Laugh out loud funny book. Lola is a PI as well in Southern California
    Hasta la Vista, Lola! by Misa Ramirez (readafew)
    readafew: Lola is a cross between Kinsey Milhone and Stephanie Plum
    Fatlands by Sarah Dunant (christiguc)
    christiguc: Hannah Wolfe is a tough, intelligent PI like Kinsey Millhone. The mysteries are enjoyable.

English (66)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (68)
Thirty-four years after Violet Sullivan's unexplained disappearance, Daisy, seven-year-old daughter she left behind, seeks the solace of closure and enlists the assistance of private detective Kinsey Millhone to help her find the truth.
  JRCornell | Dec 8, 2018 |
Liza Mellincamp asks Kinsey Millhone to find her mother, Violet Sullivan, who left her abusive husband and seven year old Liza in 1953. With thirty years having past, Kinsey feels it will be very unlikely she will have much success. However, we follow her as she interviews the people who knew Violet, her friends and her lovers. When her tires are slashed, Kinsey knows she is frightening someone and decides to continue her search.

To give the reader background on what happened in 1953, she lets us see through flashbacks what the characters saw and thought by describing incidents in that year. We are given several suspects to focus on with Liza's father being the prime one because of his past drinking and violent nature.

As I read my way through the series, each Millhone gets better than the last one. ( )
  lamour | Oct 28, 2018 |
The best Grafton since the early novels. At last Kinsey realizes that if you're hunting a killer, you might want to pack your gun. ( )
  dasam | Jun 21, 2018 |
Not as good as many in the series. One of the things I really enjoy about this series is how distinctive a voice Kinsey has, and in this book I never really felt like her personality was there. It was odd. There is a lot of dialogue, but I never felt like I heard much from Kinsey. Slightly disappointing. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
I like these books so much I have been re-reading all of the audiobooks this year. LOVE them, and would recommend the audio as well. ( )
  Cfo6 | Mar 19, 2018 |

Grafton, Sueprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holleman, WimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaye, JudyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my granddaughter, Addison, with a heart full of love.
When Liza Mellincamp thinks about the last time she ever saw Violet Sullivan, what comes most vividly to mind is the color of Violet's Japanese silk kimono, a shade of blue that Liza later learned was called "cerulean," a word that wasn't even in her vocabulary when she was fourteen years old.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425212696, Mass Market Paperback)

S is for silence: the silence of the lost, the silence of the grave, the silence of oblivion.

Thirty-four years ago, Violet Sullivan put on her party finery and left for the annual Fourth of July fireworks display. She was never seen again. In the small California town of Serena Station, tongues wagged. Some said she'd run off with a lover. Some said she was murdered by her husband. But for the not-quite-seven-year-old daughter Daisy that she left behind, her absence has never been explained or forgotten.

Now, thirty-four years later, she wants the solace of closure.

In S IS FOR SILENCE, Kinsey Millhone's nineteenth excursion into the world of suspense and misadventure, S is for surprises as Sue Grafton takes a whole new approach to telling the tale. And S is for superb: Kinsey and Grafton at their best.

From the Compact Disc edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:19 -0400)

"Thirty-four years ago, Violet Sullivan put on her polka-dot sundress, freshened her lipstick and left for the Fourth of July fireworks. She was never seen again. Now her daughter wants to find out what happened, and she wants Kinsey Millhone to help..." -- Back cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,822,778 books! | Top bar: Always visible