Everybody's Fool (2016)

by Richard Russo

"A best-selling and beloved author, at the very top of his game, now returns to North Bath, in upstate New York, and the characters who made Nobody's Fool, his third novel, his first great success. The irresistible Sully, who in the intervening years has come by some unexpected good fortune, is now staring down a VA cardiologist's estimate that he only has a year or two left, and he's busy as hell keeping the news from the most important people in his life: Ruth, the married woman he carried on with for years... the ultra-hapless Rub Squeers, who worries that he and Sully aren't still best friends. Sully's son and grandson, for whom he was mostly an absentee figure. Doug Raymer, now Chief of Police and still obsessing over the identity of the man his wife might have been having an affair with before she died in a freak accident. Bath's mayor, the former academic Gus Moynihan, who also has a pressing wife problems and then there's Carl Roebuck, whose lifelong run of failing upwards might now come to ruin. Everybody's Fool is filled with humor, heart, hard times, and characters who you can't help but love for all their faults. It is classic Russo and a crowning achievement from one of the greatest storytellers of our time"--… (more)

Loved the characters. ( )
  Angel.Tatum.Craddock | Dec 17, 2020 |
Eve's newest case involves a nasty man who likes to kill couples but not until he beats them and rapes the women. While this case stirs a lot of memories for Eve, you can see how much she's healed from earlier books.

This is an ugly murder case but it's also about healing and recovery. I loved the support systems that came through not only to help the victims but enabled them to help Eve, Rourke, Peabody and the team catch their killer.

Given the violent nature of the murders some scenes may be difficult for sensitive readers.

If you like my reviews I hope you will follow my blog. https://wyldheartreads.wordpress.com/
  wyldheartreads | Dec 14, 2020 |
Kindle (Boston)
  mikeemcg | Jun 28, 2020 |
I'm so happy that I have another book to read about these wonderful characters.

I read from 11pm until 4am! Could nor pur it down.

I tried reading Empire Falls years ago and couldn't get into it. Definitely will try it again. ( )
  Alphawoman | Dec 13, 2019 |
Oddly funny and moving story

Oh, the humanity! From the bad stench, and unstable cemetery to the lowlife criminals, the small town of Bath is packed with memorable characters trying to stay one step ahead of disasters. ( )
  JoniMFisher | Sep 19, 2019 |
For Howard Frank Mosher

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,468,249 books! | Top bar: Always visible