Everybody's Fool by Richard Russo

Everybody's Fool (2016)

by Richard Russo

I read other Russo books because this one intrigued me, but I liked this one the least of the three I have read. The characters felt more shallow to me. ( )
  CSKteach | Jul 20, 2018 |
Sully and his cast of fools is back for your reading pleasure, and it's as if "Nobody's Fool" every stopped. Russo has a deft comedic touch even as he lays bare the human condition. This book is every bit the equal of his Pulitzer Prize winner. ( )
  VashonJim | Sep 21, 2017 |
it's Richard Russo, always a favorite of mine. I think he's a genius. he makes me think. he makes me laugh. he takes these people and makes them real and absurd at the same time. I love all their flaws and I love how they care for each other, even when life is working against them, which it constantly seems to be. most of all, I love it that their world is populated by idiots and that we come to love them too. ( )
  mfabriz | Jun 26, 2017 |
What a hoot! It starts off with the hapless police chief of a small town in upstate NY fainting at a funeral for a judge (who he hated) and falling face first into the grave. He has recently lost his wife, who was about to leave him for another man. He spends a good deal of the novel trying to find out who, making a fool of himself in the process. In the meanwhile, there is a cast of mostly male, mostly ridiculous and sometimes lovable secondary characters to keep you amused with their antics. In spite of the laugh-out-loud humor, the intertwined relationships in this small town are often heartwarming (except for the wife beater). ( )
  bookfest | Mar 30, 2017 |
Richard Russo is simply a great writer. I have read most of his novels and they are always entertaining, great page turners, and educational as they look at small town upstate New York and the people that live there. This novel is a sequel to "Nobody's Fool".I did not read that because I had seen the movie with Paul Newman. No need to have read that to enjoy this book. It stands on its' own. Quirky characters with great narratives and insights. It covers a few days in the town of North Bath in upstate New York. It is more character driven than plot driven. If you have never read any Richard Russo than you are missing out on one of our great writers. I have loved every novel of his and this one is among his best. ( )
  nivramkoorb | Oct 29, 2016 |
For Howard Frank Mosher

The irresistible Sully, who in the intervening years has come by some unexpected good fortune, is now staring down a VA cardiologist's estimate that he only has a year or two left, and he's busy as hell keeping the news from the most important people in his life: Ruth, the married woman he carried on with for years... the ultra-hapless Rub Squeers, who worries that he and Sully aren't still best friends... Sully's son and grandson, for whom he was mostly an absentee figure... Doug Raymer, now chief of police and still obsessing over the identity of the man his wife might have been having an affair with before she died in a freak accident... North Bath's mayor, the former academic Gus Moynihan, who also has a pressing wife problem... and then there's Carl Roebuck, whose lifelong run of failing upwards might now come to ruin. Everybody's Fool is filled with humor, heart, hard times, and characters whom you can't help but love for all their faults. It is classic Russo--and a crowning achievement from one of the greatest storytellers of our time.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 21 Dec 2015 14:43:46 -0500)

"A best-selling and beloved author, at the very top of his game, now returns to North Bath, in upstate New York, and the characters who made Nobody's Fool, his third novel, his first great success. The irresistible Sully, who in the intervening years has come by some unexpected good fortune, is now staring down a VA cardiologist's estimate that he only has a year or two left, and he's busy as hell keeping the news from the most important people in his life: Ruth, the married woman he carried on with for years... the ultra-hapless Rub Squeers, who worries that he and Sully aren't still best friends. Sully's son and grandson, for whom he was mostly an absentee figure. Doug Raymer, now Chief of Police and still obsessing over the identity of the man his wife might have been having an affair with before she died in a freak accident. Bath's mayor, the former academic Gus Moynihan, who also has a pressing wife problems and then there's Carl Roebuck, whose lifelong run of failing upwards might now come to ruin. Everybody's Fool is filled with humor, heart, hard times, and characters who you can't help but love for all their faults. It is classic Russo and a crowning achievement from one of the greatest storytellers of our time"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,978,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible