Behind Closed Doors by B A Paris

Behind Closed Doors (2016)

by B A Paris

What She Knew by Gilly MacMillan (ChrisWay)
    Enduring Love by Ian McEwan (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: While Behind Closed Doors depicts horrific emotional and physical abuse in a marriage and Enduring Love portrays bizarre psychological abuse by a deranged stalker, both novels perfectly capture the menace of impending violence and the emotional deterioration of their protagonists.… (more)
    Rosa by Jonathan Rabb (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Although Rose Madder contains elements of the supernatural, both suspenseful tales follow the travails of desperate women trapped in profoundly abusive marriages. Their likable heroines must flee their grotesquely sadistic spouses, pulling readers into a terrifying race against time.… (more)

English (153)  Dutch (3)  Italian (2)  All languages (158)
This book blew me away! It was one of my favorite books of 2016. The opening chapter is so damn deceiving but the I knew form the title that this was going to be a real twisted thriller. To date, Jack is one of my most hated fiction villains. Grace is so unsuspecting, has no idea what lies ahead for her and honestly, with each page it just got more unbelievable. The good thing about Grace is that she is a fighter and extremely resourceful. Jack is so manipulative, obviously he is a sociopath with some serious issues. We find out about Jack's past bit by bit as the story unfolds. The way that the author unfolds this story is genius really, just a little bit at a time. We meet Grace's sister early on and unfortunately for Grace, Jack manipulates Grace using her sister, who is defenseless and relies on Grace and Jack for everything. This book will probably make single girls think twice about who they will marry. It was one of the most twisted books, that actually made me cringe and gasp at the same time. I was, of course cheering Grace on throughout the book but honestly, Jack was always just one step ahead.

Verdict:

I have put this book on my top ten books read in 2016. This was a dark, twisted and unable to put down book. While the subject matter is extremely uncomfortable to read about, the author does a fantastic job writing about it and telling this unbelievable tale!This review was originally posted on Cindy's Book Binge ( )
  fictionalblonde | Apr 10, 2019 |
This book was super unique and engaging. I read a lot of thrillers so it's refreshing when one has such different story line. I was hooked from the start! ( )
  AmalieTurner | Mar 12, 2019 |
So.. this is just one of those books that wasn't particularly bad, but something just didn't fully work for me. I finished it and I liked it on some level, but the story was just missing something. I wasn't feeling it, I wasn't scared for her. I just wanted to get to the ending already. Which was then rushed and also lacking a certain closure. We don't even see her go get Millie? That's kind of a missed opportunity
I think I only liked Millie and Neighbour Esther in this story.
I'm also a little suprised that people found this story thrilling and/or scary. It's more like a baby-thriller, not yet grown in to a full blown thriller and not scary at all.

I liked the idea and set up of the story. But the execution just wasn't a 5 star read for me. ( )
  CielCat | Feb 6, 2019 |
I love psychological thrillers, and this one did not disappoint. It was horrifying to realize the struggle that was going on in this book. Jack Angel looks to be the perfect husband, but it was all a lie. ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
It's been a long time since I read a book that left me so tense as this one. This morning I had a late meeting, and I was delighted I could stay home a little longer to finish reading it.

As I started doing so, something felt familiar. Till this minute I can't say for sure what it is, but this book reminds me of another once read. Nevertheless, it was a tremendous pleasure reading it.

When Grace meets Jack Angel, she is sure that from now on everything will work out. Jack is a successful attorney and represents only battered women. He never lost a trial and was called the woman's angel.

Grace has a sister - Millie, she is a charming girl with Down Syndrome. Grace was the one who raised Millie and made sure to pay for her private boarding school.

Jack sweeps them both and assures Grace that they will take care of Millie when she turns 18. He promises she'll live in a big house and he'll take care of everything. He asks Grace to resign so they can start a family and spend more time together.
Grace, of course, agrees and gets carried away by the promises he lavishes on her. But then...

Well, don't expect me to be the one who spoils everything. Read it and find out for yourselves.

As mentioned above, an excellent book that can not be stopped reading. ( )
  mazalbracha | Jan 12, 2019 |

B A Parisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Niessen, IreenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my daughters
Sophie, Chloe, Celine, Eloise, Margaux
De champagnefles stoot tegen het marmeren aanrechtblad, waardoor ik opschrik.
The champagne bottle knocks against the marble kitchen counter, making me jump.

The perfect marriage? Or the perfect lie? Everyone knows a couple like Jack and Grace. He has looks and wealth, she has charm and elegance. You might not want to like them, but you do. You'd like to get to know Grace better. But it's difficult, because you realise Jack and Grace are never apart. Some might call this true love. Others might ask why Grace never answers the phone. Or how she can never meet for coffee, even though she doesn't work. How she can cook such elaborate meals but remain so slim. And why there are bars on one of the bedroom windows.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,097,949 books! | Top bar: Always visible