dismiss

The Rules of Attraction (1987)

by Bret Easton Ellis

Lauren, Sean, and Paul "waste time getting wasted and race from Thirsty Thurday Happy Hours to Dressed to Get Screwed parties to drinks at the End of the World."--Cover.
Recently added byAntlia, SamoaHouseLibrary, FortWalker, lkvery, private library, angelgay, Graduate, Eggpants
Legacy LibrariesNewton 'Bud' Flounders

English (28)  French (1)  All languages (29)
It beggars belief
they must be spreading herpes
thrush from head to toe. ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
Just like the characters in the book present themselves, bored, intelligent and dozed-off with too much money, I think the content of this book is to be processed between the lines; as the pages drip with cynicism and glibness, the people behind the words develop and function. I'm glad to see Ellis' writing of collegial sex, drunkenness and drugs through the eyes of obviously intelligent creatures, as opposed to the common way of "politically correctly" finger-pointing at what's right and demonising what's wrong.

The three main characters intertwine, lock and disperse throughout, as people do, in a variety of ways. Their personalities are unveiled as I read on, and I actually got a lot through this book. In a way, it was like opening somebody's diary; thoughts never said, love unrequited and cheap thrills, it's all here. School daze. ( )
  pivic | Mar 20, 2020 |
In a fictional college, a bunch of complete brats are living. They're technically studying, but it's mostly happening just enough to be able to keep being there. Most of the time, there's a party to attend, a bed to discover with some other student or a hang over to sleep through. We follow a few of these students as they go through the daily life revolving around sex and parties. And man, is it a rough life.

Bret Easton Ellis' continue to awe me. I can never really figure out if I really like him or not, but I'm pretty sure I do. His books are often interesting and often discuss a rather grey set of morals which is interesting to follow. It's also interesting to see the characters' view of themselves as the only one with a personality while they are often seen by others as quite forgetable. I was snorted loud quite a few times as different characters' perspectives of exchanges and events very much did not match each other... at all. One perspective definitely included what felt like not just a hilarious do-you-want-to-go-on-a-date scene but one that felt like straight out of a fanfiction.

Okay. Yeah. I definitely like Bret Easton Ellis. Thank God he's got more books for me to explore. ( )
  autisticluke | Nov 14, 2019 |
Ah, Camden College. My first references to it came through Ellis' other books, but I soon found out about how it links authors Donna Tartt and Jill Eisenstadt, and apparently Jonathan Lethem too.

'From Rockaway' was my first real introduction to the Camden, it wasn't a fantastic book, but decent, so it was fun when Lauren recognized Alex (that-nice-girl-from-rockaway), Joseph and a couple other minor characters from that novel as part of the Friday night crowd at the Pub.

In 'Rules' Ellis magnifies the selfishness, the pettiness, and the insecurity of college social life - I don't think anyone at Camden goes to class - and he ends up with a pretty accurate map of what its like. At least, emotionally. I can't imagine any school as hedonist and underwhelming as Camden existing in real life...though I often did wonder how some people ended up graduating from my own school when they seemed to be blacking out every night.

The most effective aspect of 'Rules' is the shifting first-person narration. Sometimes covering the same party from four or five perspectives. All sides of a relationship came out. I can't remember an author who was so able to highlight characters' delusions, self-inflicted and otherwise. Death of romance indeed.

One short chapter is narrated completely by Sean's French roommate Bertrand, in French. So after half-heartedly looking for a translation online (I couldn't find a decent one), I ended up spending an inordinate amount of time translating it myself with my French-English dictionary and Google Translate (which is hardly perfect, but a lot more sophisticated than Babelfish). So even if none of the characters learned anything, I certainly got a good refresher in foreign languages. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
I loved this book. I started reading it after seeing the movie, and I was not disappointed. I sped through this book in no time. I loved the characters, the way the narratives shift, and the overall style of the book. My first Ellis novel, but not my last. ( )
  Borrows-N-Wants | Sep 22, 2018 |

Bret Easton Ellisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Davis, JonathanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fortgang, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gerard, DannyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The facts even when beaded on a chain, still did not have real order. Events did not flow. The facts were separate and haphazard and random even as they happened, episodic, broken, no smooth transitions, no sense of events unfolding from prior events--

Tim O'Brien

Going After Cacciato
For Phil Holmes
and it's a story that might bore you but you don't have to listen, she told me, because she always knew it was going to be like that, and it was, she thinks, her first year, or, actually weekend, really a Friday, in September, at Camden, and this was three or four years ago, and she got so drunk that she ended up in bed, lost her virginity (late, she was eighteen) in Lorna Slavin's room, because she was a Freshman and had a roommate and Lorna was, she remembers, a Senior or a Junior and usually sometimes at her boyfriend's place off-campus, to who she thought was a Sophomore Ceramics major but who was actually either some guy from N.Y.U., a film student, and up in New Hampshire just for The Dressed To Get Screwed party, or a townie.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,116,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible