dismiss

Paper Girls Volume 1

by Brian K. Vaughan (Writer), Cliff Chiang (Artist)

Other authors: Jared K. Fletcher (Letters), Matt Wilson (Colors)

Series: Paper Girls (1-5 collected)

In the early hours after Halloween on 1988, four 12-year-old newspaper delivery girls uncover the most important story of all time. Suburban drama and supernatural mysteries collide in this series about nostalgia, first jobs, and the last days of childhood -- back cover.

Really enjoyed! Interesting story, great characters, well drawn - want MORE! ( )
  MaximusStripus | Jul 7, 2020 |
Just browsing around the library and found this -- love the 80s setting with time travel involved. And...aliens? And an Apple Overload. ( )
  amandanan | Jun 6, 2020 |
HUH! Well, I'm reading these to get caught up for the Hugo noms this year.. Vol 3 is on the ballot, and I'm ALREADY a huge Brian K. Vaughan fan, so WHAT COULD GO WRONG?

Actually, nothing. Nothing went wrong. :)

Girls on a paper route do a Stranger Things with time-travel, alternate dimensions, cyborg teenagers, older future selves, and weird monsters!

The thing is... it's nicely weird. :) Anything else of this nature would be boring, and this is definitely NOT boring. I'm dancing to the tale. :)

BUT. I'm not quite hooked yet. It's good, but only time will tell. :)
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
WHAT ( )
  hexenlibrarian | May 19, 2020 |
Stop me when this sounds familiar. The year is 1980-something. There is a group of preteens, and, get this, they're riding bikes. Something supernatural happens and there are references to the cold war and Russia. Suddenly they're involved in some adventure that's bigger than they realize. Any of that ring any bells for anyone?

My main problems were 1.) this trope of 80's kids on bikes doing the thing is way overdone at this point (and has been done better,) and 2.) the girls in this didn't read their age. They all seemed to be about 15/16 rather than 12 and I was actually shocked when they mentioned their ages. Part of that might be the art style as well. I really liked the art, but these girls didn't look 12 to me and maybe that's why I expected them to be like high school age? I don't know. Also there was very little paper delivery in this for a series that is literally titled after the job these girls have. Then two characters who could prove to be interesting and important are supposedly killed off before we even really get to be attached to them.

Anyway. Other than the, "Wait these characters are how old?" moment, I did like the art overall. The lines and coloring are both right up my alley for what I like in comics and graphic novels and I am pretty pleased with it. I did like that this was about a group of girls rather than a group of boys with a token girl or two thrown into the mix. So points there. The overall plot intrigued me enough to keep me wanting to read onto the next volume, so I do plan on continuing the series eventually. I've told myself I'm not allowed to buy any books during this stay-at-home order until I've depleted everything on my shelves so it may be a hot minute before I get there.

This volume whelmed me. I'm not too mad at it, but I'm not very impressed either. I'm hoping that it proves itself in the next volume or so. ( )
  yvonnekins | May 18, 2020 |

Vaughan, Brian K.Writerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chiang, CliffArtistmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Fletcher, Jared K.Letterssecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilson, MattColorssecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Is this...?
This volume collects the comics #1-5.

From BRIAN K. VAUGHAN, #1 New York Times bestselling writer of SAGA and THE PRIVATE EYE, and CLIFF CHIANG, legendary artist of Wonder Woman, comes the first volume of an all-new ongoing adventure. In the early hours after Halloween of 1988, four 12-year-old newspaper delivery girls uncover the most important story of all time. Suburban drama and otherworldly mysteries collide in this smash-hit series about nostalgia, first jobs, and the last days of childhood. Collects PAPER GIRLS #1-5

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,864,939 books! | Top bar: Always visible