Sackett by Louis L'Amour
Recently added byBowslinger21, private library, ISCCSandy, jbpaxfam, glennhayward, BobbieGlick, quietman66

In this book we meet William Tell Sackett, older brother to Ty and Orrin who we first met in The Daybreakers. Tell has been drifting since the War, and decides it's time to do something with his life. He stumbles upon gold, and a girl, and trouble, as usual.

I love Tell and his laid back attitude. He's prefers to use humor to confuse and confound those who are spoiling for a fight, and I found myself laughing at times as I reread Sackett. This story remains a favorite of mine. ( )
  fuzzi | Mar 1, 2019 |
A relatively short novel about William Tell Sackett, older brother of Orrin and Tyrel from The Daybreakers. Tell is bigger-than-life, and twice as sturdy. On his way to New Mexico to find his brothers, after a cattle drive in Montana, he happens on a starving young woman in a cave that also happens to hold a hella stash of easy-to-get-at goooooold that she and her grandfather were looking for with the help of a very old Spanish map. So Tell rescues her, dispatching some bad dudes who have been hunting for him for a while, and sets out to get as much gold out of the mountain as possible before winter makes it impossible to get there or----wait for it----get OUT again. Tell wants to settle down, and hopes maybe this girl is for him, but even after he's played the hero card, she won't be easy to convince. I enjoyed this slightly outlandish tale of adventure in the High Lonesome, and I sincerely hope Tell gets what he wants. He earned it. ( )
  laytonwoman3rd | Jan 3, 2019 |
This review is written with a GPL 4.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at WordPress, Blogspot, Librarything & Tumblr by Bookstooge’s Exalted Permission

Title: Sackett
Series: Sacketts #8
Author: Louis L'Amour
Rating: 3.5 of 5 Stars
Genre: Western
Pages: 160
Format: Digital Edition

Synopsis:

William “Tell” Sackett decides that since his younger brothers are so successful that he needs to do something important too. So he finds a hidden valley with a gold mine and a beautiful lost woman.

Gets hunted by golddiggers, some gunslingers out for revenge for their dead brother and a banker. Now THAT is scary! Just imagine the banker from The Bank of Evil in Despicable Me.

The beautiful woman rejects him because he's such a “savage killer”. Then he rescues her again, kills most of the badguys, gets shot and hooks up with the beautiful woman, who sees the error of her liberal, big city, gun hating ways.

Oh, if only more stories had that kind of happy ending.

My Thoughts:

Besides Ride the River, this was the most enjoyable Sackett story yet. It is also one of the simplest and straight forward ones as well. As well as eye rollingly western tropish. But that is WHY you read L'Amour.

When I married Mrs Bookstooge, if I had known that all I needed to do to get her to agree to me owning a gun was rescue her from a mountain, in a blizzard while being chased by desperadoes, well, that would have totally changed the equation. And doing it while carrying a wounded man who had tried to kill me? Psshawwww! But obviously, real life isn't that simple. I had to prove to her that her wishes came first for 9 years.

Honestly, I don't think that Tell Sackett was as big a man as me! I'd like to see him put up with some of the people I have. Of course, he'd probably just shoot them and have done. Ahh, the good old days

* huge grin *

★★★☆ ½ ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Oct 24, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this book. It is far more complex than the movie would suggest. Tell Sackett is a thoughtful man who considers honor and duty. He also has thoughts about the effects of literacy. It is this that makes it a classic Western and raises it well above the average.

If you want to introduce someone to the Western genre, this would be a good entry point. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Apr 15, 2017 |
South of the Tetons, William Tell Sackett discovers a forgotten valley that holds a fortune in gold, but gold comes with a heap of trouble all its own... ( )
  jrthebutler | Feb 21, 2017 |
To Mamu
It wasn't as if he hadn't been warned.

William Tell Sackett had followed a differnt path from his younger brothers, but his name, like theirs, was spoke with respect and just a little fear. Where Orrin had brought law and order from New Mexico o the plains of Montana, backed up by the gunfighting talents of hit brother Tye, Tell Sackett's destiny drew hom to Texas after he had to kill a man. There, in the high, lonesome country, he came upon a vein of pure gold. All he'd wanted was enough to buy a ranch, but he soon learned that Gold had ways of its own with men.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553276840, Mass Market Paperback)

In Sackett, Louis L’Amour introduces readers to a wandering man with a desire to settle down and build a good life.

Hard circumstances have made William Tell Sackett a drifter, but now he hungers for a place he can’t name yet knows he has to find. South of the Tetons he comes upon a ghost of a trail that leads him through a keyhole pass into a lonely, alien, yet beautiful valley—a valley that holds a fortune in gold.

Then he finds an even greater treasure: beautiful Ange Kerry, a courageous and resourceful woman. Yet the harsh ways it takes to preserve his claim and his life could be the one thing that drives Ange away forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:44 -0400)

The adventures of the members of the Sackett family in the frontier West.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,114,633 books! | Top bar: Always visible