Mind Hunter: Inside the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit (1995)

by John Douglas

Other authors: Mark Olshaker

Now a Netflix original series Discover the classic, behind-the-scenes chronicle of John E. Douglas' twenty-five-year career in the FBI Investigative Support Unit, where he used psychological profiling to delve into the minds of the country's most notorious serial killers and criminals. In chilling detail, the legendary Mindhunter takes us behind the scenes of some of his most gruesome, fascinating, and challenging cases--and into the darkest recesses of our worst nightmares. During his twenty-five year career with the Investigative Support Unit, Special Agent John Douglas became a legendary figure in law enforcement, pursuing some of the most notorious and sadistic serial killers of our time: the man who hunted prostitutes for sport in the woods of Alaska, the Atlanta child murderer, and Seattle's Green River killer, the case that nearly cost Douglas his life. As the model for Jack Crawford in The Silence of the Lambs, Douglas has confronted, interviewed, and studied scores of serial killers and assassins, including Charles Manson, Ted Bundy, and Ed Gein, who dressed himself in his victims' peeled skin. Using his uncanny ability to become both predator and prey, Douglas examines each crime scene, reliving both the killer's and the victim's actions in his mind, creating their profiles, describing their habits, and predicting their next moves.… (more)
    Whoever Fights Monsters by Robert K. Ressler (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both are about early FBI profilers attempting to understand the minds of serial killers. Mindhunter is the more dramatically written while Whoever Fights Monsters included more specifics on profiling itself.

作者小時候的願望居然是成為獸醫,我真的太經常無意遇上原本要當獸醫後來轉行得千奇百怪的作者寫的書了8(。

大概是FBI探員常以幽默(尤其是黑色幽默)來排解壓力的緣故,行文非常淺顯易懂,四百頁刷刷看完,雖然題材沉重但卻是相當不錯的休閒讀物之選。大致看了下 Goodreads 的評價,還好我不是唯一一個覺得作者在某些部分(尤其是談及個人生活時)顯得格外自大臭屁 obnoxious 的讀者⋯⋯雖不至於不忍卒讀,但讓人很有衝過去理論一番的衝動

第18章特別值得深思,執法者和精神醫生的角度有很大不同,前者力圖阻止扼殺犯罪、而後者力爭罪犯人權得到保障,但是靠自述如何能斷定一個窮凶極惡之人真的有心改過、以及對罪犯的人性化處理和寬容是不是對受害者和家屬乃至執法者的殘忍,這兩點都非常值得社會討論。之前也瀏覽過一本DSM編者反對DSM的過度使用,感覺確實是術業有專攻,犯罪心理還是交給犯罪心理學家來處理比較好。看完這本大概適合立馬接著讀 Stephen Seager 的 Behind the Gates of Gomorrah

以及常和死者打交道的職業似乎特別容易遇上家庭問題,上次看的法醫回憶錄也是一樣婚姻無法維繫⋯⋯ ( )
  puripuri | Sep 9, 2021 |
All the stuff dealing with profiling and the crimes was very interesting. Disturbing, obviously, but very interesting. On the other hand, I really didn't care for Douglas as a human being. He's smart and moved the field forward, of course, but he really comes of as having a huge ego and a bit of a douche bag.

Also hope I don't have nightmares about killers. ( )
  amcheri | May 25, 2021 |
Those cases are either cherry-picked for the accuracy of profiles or this is witchcraft. The cases are fascinating and disturbing but the author sometimes comes across as a bit deranged himself - occupational disease? I guess working with cases like this all your life would affect everyone. ( )
  Paul_S | Dec 23, 2020 |
This book is the basis for season 1 of the HBO Mindhunter series, so much so that I wonder what they'll do next. Maybe HBO could use Ressler's book for the next season.

I've read this and Ressler's Whoever Fights Monsters. Obviously the FBI has competent and motivated people, but it's clear that much of the vaunted Behavioral Science mystique is educated guesswork and cold reading. ( )
  nicdevera | Oct 1, 2020 |
People are crazy and thanks to these guys they figured out way to find the crazies. Hard to believe this book is 20 years old. Not sure if I want to read about the current crime stories, but I am sure it would be just as fascinating. ( )
  ksmedberg | Jun 12, 2019 |

John Douglasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Olshaker, Marksecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Foul deeds will rise,
Though all the earth o'erwhelm them,
to men's eyes.
—William Shakespeare,
Hamlet
I must be in hell. It was the only logical explanation.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,563,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible