City of Miracles (2017)

by Robert Jackson Bennett

Series: The Divine Cities (3)

4206145,830 (4.31)64
Revenge. It's something Sigrud je Harkvaldsson is very, very good at. Maybe the only thing. So when he learns that his oldest friend and ally, former Prime Minister Shara Komayd, has been assassinated, he knows exactly what to do--and that no mortal force can stop him from meting out the suffering Shara's killers deserve. Yet as Sigrud pursues his quarry with his customary terrifying efficiency, he begins to fear that this battle is an unwinnable one. Because discovering the truth behind Shara's death will require him to take up arms in a secret, decades-long war, face down an angry young god, and unravel the last mysteries of Bulikov, the city of miracles itself. And--perhaps most daunting of all--finally face the truth about his own cursed existence.… (more)

[b:City of Miracles|31522139|City of Miracles (The Divine Cities, #3)|Robert Jackson Bennett|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1479836869l/31522139._SY75_.jpg|48992784] is a bizarre, fantastic end to a bizarre, fantastic series. Once again with another point of view, this time we follow Sigrud, with Shara and Mulaghesh both taking minor background roles, what with Shara dying in the first few pages... Hey. It's not a spoiler, if it happens that early in the book... Plus, you know she always has another trick up her sleeve!).

Sigrud is a fascinating character seeing him deal with yet another loss and on yet another mission to track down and kill those responsible in a way that only he can do is well worth reading on it's own. Combine that with the inevitable-in-hindsite fallout of killing or driving off all the godly beings in a land...

The first night that humanity experienced. Before light, before civilization, before your kind named the stars. That's what he is, that's how he works. He is darkness, he is shadows, he is the primeval manifestation of what's outside your windows, what's beyond the fence gate, what lives under the light of the cold, distant moon...

...and you have quite a story.

The worldbuilding remains solid and I just want to explore more and more. Seeing the world advance and new technology in each story is particularly fascinating. A big battle set on giant cable cars crossing the mountains? Yes please. Oh, and guns. Lots of guns.

Also quite the delving into the nature of the miraculous:

Rather, I believe that miracles changed and mutated just as any organism might: the Divine Empire was a teeming ecosystem of miracles and Divine entities, all with varying levels of agency and purpose, all shifting and altering as the years went by. Though many have gone, those changes still shaped this land. The Divine was not absolute, as we might prefer to think. And though it is gone, these mutations echo on. We must prepare for what happens if one miracle should change and shift enough that, improbably, it could adapt, and survive.

It does make me wonder what exactly the nature of the six Divinities was, compared to that. Just six that collected the most 'power'? In the end, it doesn't necessarily matter, but it's still an interesting question.

Overall, it feels both like the previous two books, but with the darker, more intense feel that Sigrud brings to the book. There's a theme of hope throughout the books that I particularly appreciate. Even in the darkest night, there will still come a dawn--even if you have to punch/stab/shoot the darkness to death to bring that about.

“Now—if I give you the name of the town, are you going to blow up her damn house too?”

“I guarantee nothing.”

Oh Sigrud.

Well worth the read and a satisfying finish to the series. I need to check out some of [a:Robert Jackson Bennett|2916869|Robert Jackson Bennett|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1328633063p2/2916869.jpg]'s other works... ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
While it is common for ratings in a series to drift higher because there are fewer readers and those that continue reading do so because they like the writer, Bennett has really done a truly excellent job wrapping up the Divine Cities trilogy. While all three books are action-packed and political, this one seems to delve into deeper themes, including power, love, family, personal purpose, and godhood. Sigrud je Harkvaldsson is adrift, having lost the things that mean the most to him, when he decides to avenge his most recent loss, quickly reverting to his predilection for extreme violence. Against a growing force of darkness and evil, Sigrud remains steadfast and true in his mission to save Tatyana from corruption. I think this book can be read as a standalone for those uninterested in a trilogy. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
This was a grand conclusion to an incredible series. I am going to miss Shara, Sigrud and Mulaghesh so much. On the other hand, I can't wait to see what Bennett comes up with next.

I need time for this to sink in. ( )
  authenticjoy | Nov 15, 2020 |
I LAUGHED, I CRIED, I THREW MYSELF OFF A SKI LIFT NBD ( )
  kickthebeat | Nov 1, 2020 |
The hell was that ending?

I'm sorry, I'm getting ahead of myself. After the notable improvement of City of Blades I was almost excited to pick up the final chapter. And at least for the first few chapters, it was pretty good. And then the ending happened.

The hell was that?

Maybe one day I can piece my brain together about what just happened, but man, this whole series is massively overhyped, at least for me.

I'll give the series as a whole a 3/5. ( )
  Raykoda3 | Sep 25, 2020 |
To Harvey:
Hello, baby. Welcome to Earth. This place is pretty swell, and I recommend you stick around for awhile. You never know, it might get even better: Maybe. We're trying, at least. We're trying.
The young man is first disdainful, then grudgingly polite as Rahul Khadse approaches and asks him for a cigarette.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,465,772 books! | Top bar: Always visible