Cat on the Scent (1999)

by Rita Mae Brown, Sneaky Pie Brown (Author)

Crozet, Virginia, is a pretty sleepy place, but during a Civil War reenactment, murder occurs, and postmistress and amateur sleuth Harry Harristeen and her three pets are soon on the prowl looking for the killer.

Still a great series, not dated, holds concentration right to the end.
  Karen74Leigh | Sep 4, 2019 |
Still a great series, not dated, holds concentration right to the end. ( )
  Karen74Leigh | Sep 4, 2019 |
Cat on the Scent is the Mrs. Murphy mystery that went overboard on what the cats and corgi managed to accomplish. Luckily, the authors paid attention and the animal sleuths' abilities were toned down again.

This is also the book in which we learn a deep secret about Aunt Tally. Her father may have thought he was doing the right thing, but I suspect he got a nasty surprise after he died.

I enjoyed the narration.

Overall, it's a nice enough entry in the series, but I think the wrong persons got murdered. ( )
  JalenV | Dec 1, 2014 |
Enjoyable and light-heartedIf the humans could understand the animals what a better world this would be. Sneaky-Pie Brown could write books solo! For light-hearted reading these books are a delight. The animal characters are consistent book to book, as are the human characters. This is not to say the characters stagnate, they grow and evolve throughout the series. But for solving even the animals make mistakes sometimes. When bodies begin to show up, the animals' "Mom", "Harry" Haristeen knows something is being missed, but can't quite get it. "Mrs. Murphy" has a lot of knowledge to impart, but even she has to rethink the situation and recovers the ground. This story has a lot of twists and turns and we learn a great deal more about the wonderful characters of Crozet. ( )
  readerbynight | Jan 30, 2009 |
Seventh in the Mrs. Murphy and Tucker “pet” mysteries set in small-town Crozet, Virginia and also featuring Mary Minor “Harry” Harristeen, the town’s post mistress. This one featured Civil War re-enactment stuff, which dropped it down a bit on my enjoyment scale, as the Civil War is one topic/time period that I just have never been interested in, nor enjoyed much. A prominent local is shot for real during a re-enactment battle and of course there are numerous folks who wouldn’t have minded him dead. This was a typical book in the series, a light mystery “listen” although the series isn’t really ‘cozy’ per se—it certainly touches on many of the sordid bits of small-town life. I do enjoy the characters in the series and certainly will be carrying on, probably listening to them, mostly. The reader for this series seems to be particularly delightful so I’m hoping she continues to read all the books ( )
  Spuddie | Oct 3, 2008 |

Rita Mae Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brown, Sneaky PieAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
To a cat queen, Elizabeth Putnam Sinsel
The intoxicating fragrance of lilacs floated across the meadow grass.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,425,716 books! | Top bar: Always visible