God Emperor of Dune (1981)

by Frank Herbert

Series: Dune (4), Duin: chronologisch (14), Dune: Complete Chronology (18)

Leto II, God Emperor of Dune, trades his humanity for immortality and, as the magnificent sandworm of Dune, desperately attempts to save humankind.

English (66)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (69)
Explains a few things about decisions in Dune, but slightly impenetrable for me - a feeling that it was beyond my comprehension. ( )
  tarsel | Sep 4, 2022 |
Centrado nos planos do Deus imperador e alternando entre a história e seus jornais, desenvolve o final dos 3 mil anos e pouco de reinado, a preparar um renascimento da espécie humana. ( )
  henrique_iwao | Aug 30, 2022 |
Okay, that was a bit of a slog. I still loved it, but it was intensely boring. There were long passages in which I wish everyone would just STFU, but skimming it or skipping it wouldn't do. This is not an action hero story. It's a story about ruthless political power in the face of the ultimate destruction. If you think that's going to make a Marvel movie, think again.

I think I'm going to give the series a bit of a break here and start up again in November or December. ( )
  rabbit-stew | Jun 26, 2022 |
Audio version of this book (August-Sept. 2012)

It's been many many years since the last time I read this particular Dune book. To be honest, it's actually one of my least favorite books in the series other than Dune Messiah. Still, it amazed me just how much the book, its characters and story, had settled into my memory, so as the narrators moved through the text, it was more like a trip down memory lane than rereading.

I think one of the reasons I don't really care for this book is that as a story it's extremely sedate both in theme and tone. Other that the chase/escape scene in the opening chapter and the destruction of the bridge on the Royal Road in the last chapter, there really is no action.

We don't see the God Emperor's Fish Speakers in action, we only hear about it in reports. When there is fighting in the streets of Leto's Citadel, all we know of it is the destruction of Face Dancers and the death of other, more innocent people. The Duncan Idaho ghola is forced out of an active role for pretty much throughout the book.

I do think there is a purpose to this particular madness, of course, Leto II is not only bored, he knows (both in practice as well as in prescience) what he does to his people will force the major change - part of his "Golden Path". Enforcing the sedate life on people used to action, who expect action is something akin to torture and Duncan is also angry at losing his lady love to Leto also. These are just two of the reasons the characters act the way they do in the end.

Still, it makes for a good read and sets up the last of Frank Herbert's original series: Heretics and Chapterhouse in which we begin to see how Leto's plans come to fruition and meet one of my favorite characters in the series: Darwi Odrade.
  fuzzipueo | Apr 24, 2022 |

Pennington, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Siudmak, WojciechCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stuyter, M.K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Webber, Phil H.Author photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This morning I was born in a yurt at the edge of a horse-plain in a land of a planet which no longer exists.

Tomorrow I will be born someone else in another place. I have not yet chosen. This morning, though - ahhh. this life!

When my eyes had learned to focus, I looked out at sunshine on trampled grass and I saw vigorous people going about the sweet activities of their lives.

Where ... oh where has all of that vigor gone?

~ The Stolen Journals
To
Peggy Rowntree
with love and admiration and deep appreciation
Prologue -

Excerpt from the speech by Hadi Benotto announcing the discoveries at Dar-es-Balat on the planet of Rakis:

It not only is my pleasure to announce to you this morning our discovery of this marvelous storehouse containing, among other things, a monumental collection of manuscripts inscribed on ridulian crystal paper, but I also take pride in giving you our arguments for the authenticity of our discoveries, to tell you why we believe we have uncovered the original journals of Leto II, the God Emperor.
The three people running northward through moon shadows in the Forbidden Forest were strung out along almost half a kilometer.

Millennia have passed on Arrakis, and the once-desert planet is green with life. Leto Atreides, the son of the world's savior, the Emperor Paul Muad'Dib, is still alive but far from human. To preserve humanity's future, he sacrificed his own by merging with a sandworm, granting him near immortality as God Emperor of Dune for the past thirty-five hundred years.

Leto's rule is not a benevolent one. His transformation has made not only his appearance but his morality inhuman. A rebellion, led by Siona, a member of the Atreides family, has risen to oppose the despot's rule. But Siona is unaware that Leto's vision of a Golden Path for humanity requires her to fulfill a destiny she never wanted--or could possibly conceive....

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,008,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible