A Gathering of Days: A New England Girl's Journal, 1830-32 (1979)

by Joan W. Blos

The journal of a 14-year-old girl, kept the last year she lived on the family farm, records daily events in her small New Hampshire town, her father's remarriage, and the death of her best friend.

A 13-year-old girl grows up in New Hampshire in the 1830's.
  BLTSbraille | Sep 22, 2021 |
Signed by the author ( )
  ME_Dictionary | Mar 19, 2020 |
This book follows two years in the life of Catherine, a young teenager living in New Hampshire in the years prior to the Civil War. The book focuses on the hardships of life during this time in the loss of loved ones, the questions regarding slavery, and the often times rigid social and religious standards. You see Catherine grow and mature through her thoughts on these hardships and the changes that occur with growing up (love and friendships). I love how the reader is shown not just a daily account of activities but the thoughts and feelings of a young woman dealing with many of the same issues of the youth today, but put into context of a long ago time (blended families, learning to obey parents even when we disagree, etc). I loved the book and the writing style of the author and hope to read other historical books by her. ( )
  BookishHooker | Dec 16, 2019 |
Boring
  mebrock | Oct 31, 2019 |
A story that feels truly part of its time rather than like historical fiction, a chronicle of the life of a 14-year-old living in 1830s New Hampshire. The story is simple, no real plot as such but rather a journal that records details of daily life and the slow motion of change. As a frequent player of Oregon Trail II who did actually use the game's diary function, I would have loved this book as a kid. ( )
  AmandaGStevens | Mar 2, 2019 |
Sarah's book
To my namesake, Catherine:

I give you this book on your fourteenth birthday, as I turned fourteen the year of the journal; the year that was also my last on the farm tho' I did not know it then.
It was an apt choice ... for are we not, all of us, wand’rers and strangers; and do we not, all of us, travel in danger or voyage uncharted seas?
...now does the present re-pay the past and flow on towards the future.
This year, more than others, has been a lengthy gathering of days wherein we lived, we loved, were moved; learned how to accept.

From the back cover: I, Catherine Cabot Hall, aged 13 years 6 months, 29 days. . .do bebin this journal. So begins this journal of a girl coming of age in nineteenth-century New Hampshire. Catherine records both the hardships of pioneer life and its many joys. Even as she struggles with her mother's death and father's eventual remarriage, Catherine's indomitable spirit makes this saga an often-times uplifting and joyous one.

Available online at The Internet Archive:

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,314,052 books! | Top bar: Always visible