Too Busy Not To Pray by Bill Hybels

Too Busy Not To Pray (1994)

by Bill Hybels

For the past twenty years Too Busy Not to Pray has stood as a classic on prayer, helping Christians all over the world slow down to draw near to God. During those years, the world certainly hasn't slowed down. If anything, the pace, intensity and number of distractions have only increased. Brokenness and pain seem to have increased as well, with news of civil war, poverty, broken families and sex-trafficking touching us daily. The urgent need for prayer is clear, but busyness still keeps many of us from finding time to pray. Two truths haven't changed in twenty years: God is the same powerful, just, holy God he's always been; and true prayer--prayer that changes us and allows us to participate in God's work in the world--can't happen on the fly. So Bill Hybels once again offers us his practical, time-tested ideas on slowing down to pray. Revised throughout and including a new introduction and new chapter on prayer and compassion for the world, this twentieth-anniversary edition of Too Busy Not to Pray calls both young and old to make prayer a priority, and broadens our vision for what our eternal, powerful God does when his people slow down to pray… (more)
Recently added byLewis610, krumba, private library, Yarnucopia, CourageChurch, PFM, RedeemerCincy, SMBCmedia

Awesome! ( )
  JKJ94 | Jul 13, 2019 |
This book had a profound effect on my praying because it strongly encouraged me to write my prayers, a practice I had dabbled with a little bit, but this set me on it for good.
  gcornett | Sep 22, 2017 |
Bill Hybels takes you through prayer - knowing God is listening, how to pray, what happens when your prayers aren't answered, quieting yourself and listening, and finally how prayer becomes action and having a heart for others.

While much of what Hybels says is practical, his style is conversational and in my head he's writing the prayer book equivalent of Rick Warren's A Purpose Driven Life - lots of exclamation points, some Scripture, but more emotionally than intellectually driven. It's useful, good information but I found myself comparing it to Timothy Keller's Prayer: Experiencing Awe and Intimacy with God, which I read last year and personally prefer. ( )
  bell7 | Apr 27, 2017 |
I don't like formulaic patterns for prayer. I need to be able to be creative. That being said, I seem to shy away from prayer completely rather than being formulaic. One line I liked: "What is MY immovable mountain? Could I have stood in its shadow for so long that I've actually grown accustomed to the darkness?" ( )
  mytruecompass | Aug 12, 2011 |
One good thing that can be said about books by Bill Hybels: he hits the nail on the head with how Christians are today. In Too Busy Not To Pray, he accurately points out the flaws that many Christians have today in their attitude and approach to prayer. For example, Hybels asks why do we pray "Lord, be with us today", when we know from Scripture he's always with us? He suggests we pray "Lord, make us aware of your presence today." This small thing has helped me focus on what I'm actually saying in prayers, helping me to eliminate the jargon and have a more authentic and focused time with God. If you are a busy person like most of us, you may not be taking the time to actually know God, to pray, to know His will, to confess specific sins, to praise Him. This book gives good solutions and reasons for making prayer a priority above everything else. Good book, good scripture references, fast read. I recommend to anyone serious about knowing the Living God. - SCF.
  OCMCCP | Oct 12, 2010 |
To Joel Jager a lifetime friend
Prayer is an unnatural activity.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,377,209 books! | Top bar: Always visible