dismiss

The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi

The Collapsing Empire

by John Scalzi

Series: The Interdependency [Scalzi] (1)

Faster than light travel is impossible--until the discovery of The Flow, an extradimensional field available at certain points in space-time, which can take us to other planets around other stars. Riding The Flow, humanity spreads to innumerable other worlds. Earth is forgotten. A new empire arises, the Interdependency, based on the doctrine that no one human outpost can survive without the others. It's a hedge against interstellar war--and, for the empire's rulers, a system of control. But when it's discovered that the entire Flow is moving, possibly separating all human worlds from one another forever, a scientist, a starship captain, and the emperox of the Interdependency must race to find out what can be salvaged from an empire on the brink of collapse. --… (more)
    Behind the Throne by K. B. Wagers (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: Both feature unexpected Empresses in a hard SF universe.

English (70)  German (1)  All languages (71)
This is certainly not a bad book by any means. As far as Scalzi goes though, it was just okay. It followed the same Scalzi-flow as his other books, but this one felt rushed. Initial layout of the world wasn't good (IMO), so it made following the story a little hard towards the end.

Still, had my expectations not been so high, I probably would have enjoyed this book much more. ( )
  cgfaulknerog | May 28, 2020 |
As with all Scalzi books, they're a fun and easy read. There's always a solid mix of good story line, humor, good sci-fi details, and usually a buddy-movie vibe. I was glad to have this as Book One of a new series.

It's solid entertainment, nothing to keep you tossing or turning at night, just enjoyable. Every now and then, I confess I do come across a sentence that seems overly long or simply clumsy. He's a best selling author, so maybe the editors are used to his charm-filled style and don't pick at him as much. ( )
  terriks | May 20, 2020 |
The "Flow" connects worlds, it's how people move from place to place and human society depends on it, some worlds have more of certain resources. Over all of this presides the Emperox and the guard is changing.

There's a lot of politics with noble merchant families who vie for power (and at least one of whom have ships whose names are based on the names of songs) there's assassinations, complex mathsissues and a lot of people being people.

I enjoyed this enjough to go straight into the next one. ( )
  wyvernfriend | May 6, 2020 |
Every time I read a John Scalzi novel, I'm reminded what a good writer he is. This one's no exception. He handles the big picture and the small, personal details with equal deftness.

After I finished the epilogue, I jumped back to the prologue. With the knowledge of everything else that happens in the book, it was fun to see how this little piece of the story -- largely unconnected to the events in the remainder of the novel, featuring characters we wouldn't see again -- still added to the whole.

When I started reading the book, I wasn't sure if it was a stand-alone novel or the launch of a new series. When I got to the end, it was pretty plainly the opening volume in a multi-volume set. (Don't get me wrong -- the novel is complete in itself, but the ending indicates there's more to come.) Under normal circumstances, I'd have felt a twinge of irritation at this, but in this case I was relieved. I want more time with these characters, and I want to know just how they're going to deal with an empire in collapse. ( )
  pjohanneson | May 5, 2020 |
If Scalzi is the new Heinlein, then this is mid to late career Heinlein, when he couldn't shut up any more and no one would edit him down. Characters are constantly making long speeches, explaining how politics really works. Everything is presented as matter of fact obviously true. As in later Heinlein, sex is casually tossed in the mix. At least we're spared Heinlein's old man that every woman wants to bed fantasy, or the more recent fascination some authors have with rape. The women are in charge in when sex occurs. Still a male fantasy but less creepy than the alternatives.

This is really just setting up the players and environment for another long-running series. It would have been better as a short novel.

For undiscriminating fans of Scalzi's breezy style only. ( )
1 vote ChrisRiesbeck | May 4, 2020 |
Scalzi continues to be almost insufferably good at his brand of fun but think-y sci-fi adventure.

Scalzi, JohnAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
SparthCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Tom Doherty, specifically, and everyone at Tor generally. Thanks for believing in me. Here's to the next decade. (At least.)
The mutineers would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for the collapse of the Flow.

Does the biggest threat lie within?

In the far future, humanity has left Earth to create a glorious empire. Now this interstellar network of worlds faces disaster - but can three individuals save their people?The empire''s outposts are utterly dependent on each other for resources, a safeguard against war, and a way its rulers can exert control. This relies on extra-dimensional pathways between the stars, connecting worlds. But 'The Flow' is changing course, which could plunge every colony into fatal isolation.A scientist will risk his life to inform the empire's ruler. A scion of a Merchant House stumbles upon conspirators seeking power. And the new Empress of the Interdependency must battle lies, rebellion and treason. Yet as they work to save a civilization on the brink of collapse, others have very different plans . . . The Collapsing Empire is an exciting space opera from John Scalzi.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,509,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible