Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls…

Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls (and… (2016)

by Lauren Graham

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I listened to the audio version of this book before receiving a physical copy from the publisher. Even though having Lauren Graham narrates the book makes it 10 times better, I suggest readers don't be lazy like me and skip all the photos. She does tell reader when to look at them. P.s. she really does talk really fast.

I was hoping there is more about her and Alexis Bledel or Scott Patterson. However, the person from Gilmore Girls she talks about the most is Amy Sherman-Palladino, the creator. Since Amy is more like a backstage staff, so I do not feel as connected. I have not had the chance to watch Parenthood yet, so nothing much to say about that section. Still, it is nice to read about how actors think more their works. Also there is a lot of spoilers, so watch the shows before reading this book.

3.5 out of 5 stars
Received a free copy from LibraryThing Early Review Program in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  JoeYee | Aug 29, 2018 |

Who can't love Lauren Graham? She's cherishable - not just because of her clever, chatty, wise-cracking Lorelai Gilmore interpretation - but because she's demonstrably smart herself, and seems to have navigated her Hollywood path in a carefree manner (to the extent that is possible).

Her having been an English major means that reading her writing isn't painful. I won't say there weren't times when I rolled my eyes at the writing - because that did happen - but in general it was because she was trying to be too clever on paper, and that backfires so damn easily. (I'd like to read her fiction writing, as I'm going to bet it's a bit more suited to that space.)

I appreciated reading about her path to stardom, and the bends and diversions along the way. It was refreshing to read a tale without a ton of saucy gossip, but I do wish she'd dished a bit more about some of the relationships on Gilmore Girls (and Parenthood, which I have yet to watch). I'd heard there were some prickly ones, so tell me more about that! I want a guided tour!

At the very least, it got me to rewatch Gilmore Girls (and I'll follow that with A Year in the Life, because that's what I should have done last year when it came out). One season and some change later, it's as delightful as it was when I first watched it. ( )
  khage | Aug 29, 2018 |
Highly recommend the audio version with Lauren Graham reading it. I literally laughed and cried and enjoyed every minute of it. ( )
  CharleyBethH | Aug 23, 2018 |
I did not expect to love this book as much as I did then again, who am I kidding? I love Gilmore Girls (even if I'm still upset about that revival).

Ms. Graham is just so charming! I stopped doing things during the day so that I could listen to her. I love her voice, her fast talk, her candor. I love that she sings in the recording and talks openly about her time in Gilmore Girls, her writing (she's adapting [b:The Royal We|22875451|The Royal We|Heather Cocks|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1421107274s/22875451.jpg|42439906] for the film!) and her methods (which I plan to revisit once I'm back in the writing saddle), her acting career and her love life. I legit teared up when she spoke about Edward Herrmann, you could tell she and everyone in the cast really loved him.

The only reason I docked a star is because she makes a lot of references to pictures that are clearly in the print book and it got frustrating that I couldn't see them because, duh, this is an audiobook.

Beyond that, this audiobook was a delight to listen to and I truly recommend it. ( )
  lapiccolina | Aug 22, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Fun and easy read. Like listening to an old friend you haven't seen in a while catch you up on her life. Read the book and in my head I could hear Lauren's voice, but now I'd like to hear the audiobook. ( )
  suzieqmckernan | Aug 18, 2018 |

Lauren Grahamprimary authorall editionscalculated
Graham, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for my mom and dad
Some of the most exciting things that happened in my life took place before I turned six years old.

In her first work of nonfiction, the beloved star of Gilmore Girls and Parenthood recounts her experiences on Gilmore Girls—the first and second time—and shares stories about life, love, and working in Hollywood. This collection of essays is written in the intimate, hilarious, and down-to earth voice that made her novel, Someday Someday Maybe, a New York Times bestseller.

“This book contains some stories from my life: the awkward growing up years, the confusing dating years, the fulfilling working years, and what it was like to be asked to play one of my favorite characters again. You probably think I’m talking about my incredible achievement as Dolly in Hello, Dolly! as a Langley High School junior, a performance my dad called “you’re so much taller than the other kids.” But no! I’m talking about Lorelai Gilmore, who, back in 2008, I wasn’t sure I’d ever see again. Also included: tales of living on a houseboat, meeting guys at awards shows, and that time I was asked to be a butt model. A hint: all three made me seasick.”—Lauren Graham

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 29 Jun 2016 20:35:57 -0400)

"This book contains some stories from my life: the awkward growing-up years, the confusing dating years, the fulfilling work years, and what it was like to be asked to play one of my favorite characters again. Also included: tales of living on a houseboat, meeting guys at awards shows, and that time I was asked to be a butt model. A hint: all three made me seasick. -- Lauren Graham" --… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Lauren Graham's book Talking As Fast As I Can is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,827,166 books! | Top bar: Always visible