HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The Three Pigs (2001)

by David Wiesner

The three pigs escape the wolf by going into another world where they meet the cat and the fiddle, the cow that jumped over the moon, and a dragon.

The three little pigs escape from the story and move into their own imagination. They go through different stories taking their own twists and turns.
  SerenaC7 | Jan 11, 2023 |
Independent Reading Level: Grades Prep-1
Awards: Randolph Caldecott Medal (2002)
  Mgtyre | Dec 6, 2022 |
The traditional story of the Three Little Pigs literally comes alive in Wiesner's rendition of The Three Pigs. The story begins as usual with the three pigs heading out on their own, but when the wolf comes to blow the house down a unique twist happens. The three pigs come out of the story book and proceed to visit other fairy tales. They rescue a dragon that is about to be slaughtered and the kitty in hey diddle, diddle. The characters gather together and re-enter their story, scare the wolf and live happily ever after. ( )
  MeghanTrueman | Jul 12, 2022 |
Independent Reading Level: Grade 2
Awards: Caldecott Metal
  Trinity_Chastain2020 | May 4, 2022 |
The book starts off with the traditional story of The Three Little Pigs, and when the pigs figure out that they can leave the story, they wonder about from story to story, making new friends and enemies with the protagonists, and antagonists from the other books. The Illustrations go from two dimensional while in the books, to two dimensional when they leave them. The illustrator does an excellent job in making the reader feel like the storybook characters are interacting with us as the readers by placing their gaze towards us as if they could see us. The book is a great way to challenge our students, and make them wonder and draw inferences about the story plot, as we engage them as we read to them. ( )
  fmatiella1 | Feb 26, 2022 |
The book will intrigue, delight, and puzzle children. (Where did the pig go? What is he standing on? How did the wolf really eat the pig if he goes away? Why does it say so?). Wiesner’s tale turns back on itself to reveal its form, and to show that a story can be protean, metamorphic, and infinitely malleable. We have to co-construct it... But has something been lost? Fear, after all, has been drained completely away.

Once upon a time there were three pigs who went out into the world to seek their fortune.
The king was determined to own this treasure. So he sent his eldest son to slay the dragon and bring back the golden rose.
Many thanks for rescuing me, O brave and noble swine.

This book has amazing illustrations and will gets students to see how things do not always have to go as planned.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,783,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible