Bad Business by Robert B. Parker

Bad Business

by Robert B. Parker

Series: Spenser (31)

For my review please visit my blog: Martin's View: Bad Business. ( )
  Martin_Maenza | Apr 14, 2017 |
I didn't like this one as well. The victims were just as smarmy and unlikeable as the perpetrators. The ending held out no hope of anything better.

I will give my copy (bought for half price) to the same place I found the first book of the series.

And next time, I'll know how to get the chronological order instead of random selections. ( )
  CarolJMO | Dec 12, 2016 |
Parker was always so sparing with words. He learned to say a lot with very little. That was his main thing, as far as I'm concerned. His characters are well established and their words are almost predicable, but comforting and always up to mark.

The timeline of the Spenser novels no longer exists. Logically Spenser should be a very old man with no business in fistfights and gunfights. The sense of danger that surrounded Hawk, Vinnie and Quirk is also no longer there. They have become quite tamed in “old” age, and have lost their double-sided take on life, that was so refreshing in the beginning.

Nevertheless, I still see these late novels as refined and comforting examples of character-driven mystery fiction. Moreover the humour throughout the book is a blast… Sometimes I was laughing out loud…I always come back for more, when I’ve read too many books not worth a damn thing! Parker is almost always a safe haven… ( )
  antao | Dec 10, 2016 |
Mr. Parker's writing is like a cuddling up under your favorite blanket and watching an old movie. You know what to expect, but that is a good thing sometimes. ( )
  FrancineZane | Mar 18, 2016 |
Bad Business is the 31st (!!) novel by Robert B. Parker featuring Boston private detective Spenser. This one, unlike many of the others, is an actual who-done-it of the Agatha Christie form. It features many of Spenser’s sub-characters, notably Hawk, Vinnie Morris, and Boston homicide detective Healy, all acting in their usual macho-competent roles. Susan Silverman is also present, and not as cloying as she can be.

When a woman hires Spenser to see if he is cheating on her, Spenser discovers that the husband has hired his own p.i. to check up on his wife. It gets more complicated from there.

This one is better crafted and more suspenseful than most Parker novels (which sounds like quite a complement), but it is also pretty repetitive in its themes and the tone of its conversations. For Parker fans (and I count myself among them), it delivers what we have come to expect, but maybe is just a little too much like all the others in the series.

(JAB) ( )
  nbmars | Jan 5, 2016 |

Robert B. Parkerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mantegna, JoeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOR JOAN: good business
"Do you do divorce work?" the woman said.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425199576, Mass Market Paperback)

One of the great series in the history of the American detective story gets even better when Spenser is hired by a jilted bride to follow a cheating husband, only to cross paths with a detective hired to tail the two-timing wife. They aren't the most trusting couple in town, but as it turns out, they are the most dangerous.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:33 -0400)

A cheating husband and a wayward wife provide Spenser with an unconventional and dangerous surveillance job. When Marlene Cowley hires Spenser to see if her husband, Trent, is cheating on her, he encounters more than he bargained for: Not only does he find a two-timing husband, but a second investigator as well, hired by the husband to look after his wife. As a result of their joint efforts, Spenser soon finds himself investigating both individual depravity and corporate corruption. It seems the folks in the Cowley's circle have become enamored of radio talk-show host Darrin O'Mara, whose views on Courtly Love are clouding some already fuzzy minds with the notion of cross-connubial relationships. O'Mara's brand of sex therapy is unconventional at best, unlawful-and deadly-at worst. Then a murder at Kinergy, where Trent Cowley is CFO, sends Spenser in yet another direction. Apparently, the unfettered pursuit of profit has a price. With razor-sharp characterizations and finely honed prose, this is Parker writing at the height of his powers.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,165,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible