The Perfect Nanny: A Novel by Leïla Slimani

The Perfect Nanny: A Novel (2016)

by Leïla Slimani

Recently added bybellisc, sblock, private library, mannek, NLut, Matilda_Ashman, walkerb, jbealy, ashleigh1987mom5

English (34)  Spanish (5)  French (3)  Catalan (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (45)
You will learn how the story ends on the first page of the novel. It opens with a brief graphic scene of violence depicting the death of two young children at the hands of their nanny. This almost had me closing the book, but I continued to see what happened next. I was uncomfortable reading most of this book, there was just a funny feeling in my stomach as I learned more about Louise, "The Perfect Nanny". The story is told in the third person from different view points. As I read, I learned how Louise went from the perfect nanny to a murderess. We go from the ending right to when she is originally hired by Myriam and Paul to look after their two children. As the story unfolds we find out about previous jobs she had, her marriage and her daughter. All of these play a part in her descending to madness.

The scary part to me is how the loving parents unknowingly invited a madwoman into their home. They were so lucky to have found The Perfect Nanny. When Myriam began to suspect there was something wrong with Louise, it was too late. The characters could be anyone, anywhere. A mother who wants to return to work, then works crazy hours. A father who works a lot but does not feel guilty because they have a wonderful Nanny taking care of the children at home. That is another thing that makes it terrifying, it could happen anywhere to anyone. A short book that I read quickly and recommend to suspense and family drama lovers.

Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
Was ( )
  dstephenc101 | Feb 1, 2019 |
Was ( )
  dstephenc101 | Feb 1, 2019 |
Il libro procede verso un anti climax che mi ha smontato un po'. Un decrescendo nel finale, ma è perché la tensione nel durante è altissima. ( )
  lucaconti | Jan 24, 2019 |
This book has been touted as a must-read. Although it was a book that I could read in one sitting, I am not sure how I felt about it. In the very beginning of the book, you find out that the nanny has attacked the children and the young boy is dead, the young girl is clinging to life. The rest of the book details the way that the couple, Paul and Myriam, have let Louise, the nanny, become an integral part of their life. Louise begins to unravel, but this is not fully explained in the novel. The ending is abrupt, and didn't leave me satisfied.
Disturbing, but not the taut psychological thriller that it was advertised to be, in my opinion. ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
One can see why the judges were wowed. The voice of Slimani's omniscient narrator is chill and precise; her plot spares neither her characters' fates nor her readers' sensibilities.

Slimani, Leïlaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Taylor, SamTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Für Émile
Das Baby ist tot. Wenige Sekunden haben genügt.

"When Myriam, a French-Moroccan lawyer, decides to return to work after having children, she and her husband look for the perfect nanny for their two young children. They never dreamed they would find Louise: a quiet, polite, devoted woman who sings to the children, cleans the family's chic apartment in Paris's upscale tenth arrondissement, stays late without complaint, and hosts enviable kiddie parties. But as the couple and the nanny become more dependent on one another, jealousy, resentment, and suspicions mount, shattering the idyllic tableau. Building tension with every page, The Perfect Nanny is a compulsive, riveting, bravely observed exploration of power, class, race, domesticity, and motherhood--and the American debut of an immensely talented writer"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,627,537 books! | Top bar: Always visible