Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage…

Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI

by David Grann

Having lived in Oklahoma for a number of years, I connected well to this true story about the Osage Indian murders. The research and writing are excellent and I would recommend everyone read this. It would be a perfect addition to American History studies. ( )
  niquetteb | Oct 23, 2018 |
DNF. I slogged through enough of it that I'm counting it. ( )
  KimMeyer | Oct 1, 2018 |
I don't know what I expected when I picked this up, but I was all but unprepared for the disgustingly horrific acts of perpetrated in pursuit of greed. I mean, it's one thing to lie, cheat, and steal, and popular media is full of sympathetic, likable Robin Hood-like thieves who steal from the grotesquely, but unsympathetic wealthy. It's another thing altogether to prey on your fellow human beings, on your community, on your neighbors, on your spouse, on your children, poisoning them, shooting them, killing them by measures and at a single stroke, destroying an entire people, family by family, because of the pursuit of wealth without labor.

This is exactly what happened to the Osage Indians of Oklahoma. Shunted to apparently unfertile land as a reservation, members of the tribe quickly became among the wealthiest people on Earth with the discovery of oil beneath their soil. But what appeared to be an unexpected blessing soon became a curse as members of the tribe began to die, one by one. When the cause of death, and the perpetrators, proves difficult to identify, the fledgling FBI is sent in. This itself provides an interesting and fascinating part of the story, but nothing strikes as close to home as the sheer inhumanity and near genocidal nature of the murders in the first place.

David Grann does a great job. The only thing I might have wanted more from him is a bit more extensive story on the murders. He focuses on a few, and it's not until the end that the scope becomes completely clear. In any case, it's a great read, and one of my favorites this year. ( )
  publiusdb | Sep 21, 2018 |
Excellent and scary. The thought of so many Osage and friends being murdered for their money is unimaginable. The FBI found a couple of the killers of one family but it is obvious others were ignored since an entire class of White people stood to gain from killing Osage for their oil money. The degree to which White people at all levels including bankers and lawyers were willing to kill for money says a lot about institutional racism, no doubt feeling justified.
  taurus27 | Sep 16, 2018 |
True story about the murders of the Osage Indians in Oklahoma for their oil rights, and how this case helped support the creation of the FBI. The story is disturbing in how the Osage's neighbors and local elected officials systematically took advantage of these people and for scores, possibly hundreds, it even cost them their lives. Makes one embarrassed to call yourself a human. For so many people to be in on this, for so many people to think nothing of oppressing people and feeling their lives were worthless is really a sad account for the human race. That said, I really didn't find the book as highly rated as many people. The story was pretty predictable (sad considering it is non-fiction) and in the end there was no definitive conspiracy that tied it all up, just speculation of the complicity of an entire state. The conclusion is probably true, but the story still feels like a lot of conjecture and loose ends. ( )
  rayski | Sep 10, 2018 |
De maand van de bloemendoder is een fascinerend en tegelijkertijd gruwelijk boek over de moordpartijen, discriminatie en uitbuiting van Osage indianen aan het begin van de 20e eeuw in Oklahoma. Nadat de Osage, zoals zoveel indianen in de Verenigde Staten, waren verjaagd naar een reservaat in Oklahoma, bleek hier olie gevonden te worden. Hierdoor werden de Osage opeens rijk. Echter dit betekende ook uitbuiting, discriminatie en vele moordpartijen. David Grann is jarenlang bezig geweest met onderzoek naar misstanden die plaatsvonden en De maand van de bloemendoder is het zeer boeiende eindresultaat hiervan...lees verder >

David Grannprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ward, Jeffrey L.Cartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There had been no evil to mar that propitious night, because she had listened; there had been no voice of evil; no screech owl had quaveringly disturbed the stillness. She knew this because she had listened all night.
--John Joseph Mathews, Sundown
A conspiracy is everything that ordinary life is not. It's the inside game, cold, sure, undistracted, forever closed off to us. We are the flawed ones, the innocents, trying to make some rough sense of the daily jostle. Conspirators have a logic and a daring beyond our reach. All conspiracies are the same taut story of men who find coherence in some criminal act.  ---Don DeLillo, Libra
We have a few mouth-to-mouth tales; we exhume from old trunks and boxes and drawers letters without salutation or signature, in which men and women who once lived and breathed are now merely initials or nicknames out of some now incomprehensible affection which sound to us like Sanskrit or Chocktaw; we see dimly people, the people in whose living blood and seed we ourselves lay dormant and waiting, in this shadowy attenuation of time possessing now heroic proportions performing their acts of simple passion and simple violence, impervious to time and inexplicable. ---William Faulker, Absalom, Absalom!
For my mom and dad
In April, millions of tiny flowers spread over the blackjack hills and vast prairies in the Osage territory of Oklahoma.

From New Yorker staff writer David Grann, #1 New York Times best-selling author of The Lost City of Z, a twisting, haunting true-life murder mystery about one of the most monstrous crimes in American history

In the 1920s, the richest people per capita in the world were members of the Osage Indian Nation in Oklahoma. After oil was discovered beneath their land, the Osage rode in chauffeured automobiles, built mansions, and sent their children to study in Europe.
     Then, one by one, they began to be killed off. One Osage woman, Mollie Burkhart, watched as her family was murdered. Her older sister was shot. Her mother was then slowly poisoned. And it was just the beginning, as more Osage began to die under mysterious circumstances.
     In this last remnant of the Wild West—where oilmen like J. P. Getty made their fortunes and where desperadoes such as Al Spencer, “the Phantom Terror,” roamed – virtually anyone who dared to investigate the killings were themselves murdered. As the death toll surpassed more than twenty-four Osage, the newly created F.B.I. took up the case, in what became one of the organization’s first major homicide investigations. But the bureau was then notoriously corrupt and initially bungled the case. Eventually the young director, J. Edgar Hoover, turned to a former Texas Ranger named Tom White to try unravel the mystery. White put together an undercover team, including one of the only Native American agents in the bureau. They infiltrated the region, struggling to adopt the latest modern techniques of detection. Together with the Osage they began to expose one of the most chilling conspiracies in American history.
     In Killers of the Flower Moon, David Grann revisits a shocking series of crimes in which dozens of people were murdered in cold blood. The book is a masterpiece of narrative nonfiction, as each step in the investigation reveals a series of sinister secrets and reversals. But more than that, it is a searing indictment of the callousness and prejudice toward Native Americans that allowed the murderers to operate with impunity for so long. Killers of the Flower Moon is utterly riveting, but also emotionally devastating.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 19 Aug 2016 10:47:58 -0400)

"Grann revisits a ... series of crimes in which dozens of people were murdered in cold blood. Based on years of research and ... new evidence, the book [outlines the steps that reveal] a series of sinister secrets and reversals. But more than that, it is [an] ... indictment of the callousness and prejudice toward American Indians that allowed the murderers to operate with impunity for so long"--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,681,654 books! | Top bar: Always visible