dismiss

Priestdaddy: A Memoir by Patricia Lockwood

Priestdaddy: A Memoir

by Patricia Lockwood

Father Greg Lockwood is unlike any Catholic priest you have ever met, a man who lounges in boxer shorts, loves action movies, and whose constant jamming on the guitar reverberates "like a whole band dying in a plane crash in 1972." His daughter is an irreverent poet who long ago left the Church's country. When an unexpected crisis leads her and her husband to move back into her parents' rectory, their two worlds collide. In Priestdaddy, Lockwood interweaves emblematic moments from her childhood and adolescence, from an ill-fated family hunting trip and an abortion clinic sit-in where her father was arrested to her involvement in a cultlike Catholic youth group, with scenes that chronicle the eight-month adventure she and her husband had in her parents' household after a decade of living on their own. Lockwood details her education of a seminarian who is also living at the rectory, tries to explain Catholicism to her husband, who is mystified by its bloodthirstiness and arcane laws, and encounters a mysterious substance on a hotel bed with her mother. Lockwood pivots from the raunchy to the sublime, from the comic to the deeply serious, exploring issues of belief, belonging, and personhood. Priestdaddy is an entertaining, unforgettable portrait of a deeply odd religious upbringing, and how one balances a hard-won identity with the weight of family and tradition.… (more)
    The World's Largest Man: A Memoir by Harrison Scott Key (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: The fathers in these two books are very similar, although Lockwood tempers her humor with a lot of honesty and introspection, while Key keeps things humorous (and more shallow).

Why, WHY did I wait so long to read this? Why didn’t more of you goad me into making sure I read it sooner? Already want to read it again and highlight all of this phenomenal metaphors and the multiple times I laughed! ( )
  amandanan | Jun 6, 2020 |
I was worried I wouldn't like this book because it would be too twitter, basically, and because I don't read and don't like poetry. There are one zillion metaphors in the first few chapters and I worried I would abandon it and then wonder if it was fear of the new or fear of poets or women with short hair. Instead I read it in one sitting! It's funny and extremely relatable to me, least of all because I know someone molested by the same priest in St. Louis, because I know which gun store for women in Shawnee she's describing, and because, no shit, I've had the same conversation about the song "Imagine" with a parent. I've never read a book by someone whose father hated the Clintons as much as mine did. So many shudders of recognition, lots of laughs, zillions of metaphors. It sparkles with love and wit. I'd recommend it to my dad except he is actually afraid of women with short hair. ( )
  uncleflannery | May 16, 2020 |
This is gonna go down as one of the best memoirs of the 21st century. ( )
  jtth | May 4, 2020 |
This is an excellent read - by turns hilarious, nostalgic, sad, profane, and poetic. Patricia Lockwood's writing might not be for everyone but I think she's a genius. This is an honest memoir about growing up as a daughter of a larger than life Catholic priest (ordained via a loophole) and a kind of wacky but loving mother. Some of the best writing describes when she and her husband spent some time living with her parents during a financial crisis. Funny and moving. ( )
  KatyBee | Apr 30, 2020 |
The book was interesting but in many places it was confusing Towards the end of the book, I really wasn't sure of what was happening or what the author was trying to say.

I do understand this is a memoir, and that her family is pretty far off the societal range of normalcy.... but she is creative in her writing.

Lockwood touches upon how her father found religion after he was married w/ children and became an ordained Catholic Priest.

However, I found his proclivity for sitting around in his less than concealing underwear with his legs spread in front of his family & certain guests, was at the least very crude and bordering on abusive.... and is not something that I am able to unsee.

Her mother, I found to be interesting with a subtle wit & wry sense of humor, which I'm sure was necessary in order to keep herself semi-sane.

Little was written about Lockwood's siblings or her husband, whom she met online and certainly I didn't find the author to have much of a presence other than as an active observer recording decidedly odd miscellaneous occurrences in her family's life.

Certainly this book isn't for everyone, if even a large audience, but as I stated, it was interesting, even if I might have missed a few points throughout, as I was waiting for something moving/poignant/important to happen. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Mar 9, 2020 |

Patricia Lockwoodprimary authorall editionscalculated
Willey, RachelCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,740,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible