The Awakening by Michael Carroll

The Awakening

by Michael Carroll

2991359,738 (4)5
Ten years after the disappearance of superhumans--both heroes and villains--thirteen-year-olds Danny and Colin begin to develop super powers, making them the object of much unwanted attention.
    Hero by Perry Moore (Vulco1)
    Vulco1: Action. Adventure. YA. Super powers. Next generation of young heroes.
    Gone by Michael Grant (Vulco1)
    Vulco1: Action. Adventure. YA. Super powers. Kids doing it for themselves

The Awakening is the first book in a series called Quantum Prophecy. In this first book, super humans who were both heroes and villains vanished from the Earth ten years ago. Since then most people have lived normal lives until Danny starts to see things moving in slow motion and Colin starts to be able to hear things that no human should be able to hear. Both boys find out secrets about their families that they never knew, and now the safety of the world may be up to them. Will the prophecy come true? Will Danny destroy the world? This is a very good story about not only super human abilities, but how those abilities might change the lives of those who have them. I can't wait to read The Gathering. ( )
  Mrslabraden | May 31, 2016 |
There are so many fractured fairy tales out there, and I love that. But this series is, like, a fractured super hero series. It takes the whole super hero concept, and changes everything around! I'm so not a comic book person, but I was having fun with this series. It stopped rather abruptly, though, and I don't know when the next book comes out. Also, they're pretty obviously geared for middle school boys, but they do get a bit dark. Then again, so do the "real" comic books. Honestly, I tried to read a Marvel book about Spiderman once. He died, he came back, something about his wife dying and coming back, and a daughter named Spidergirl or something . . . yeah, I stopped. Figured it was a waste of time. ( )
  Jaina_Rose | Mar 1, 2016 |
  lkmuir | Dec 11, 2015 |
This is such a neat start to a series, that holds a lot of promise.

It seems that one point in history, we had superheros and supervillians called superhumans. Then one day, all of a sudden all of the superheros vanish. Gone. Nowhere to be seen or found. What happened to all of them? Were they killed? Retired? What happened?

Then 10 years pass and some kids are showing signs that they could be superheros, but how did that a happen and what super powers could they have. That seems like people would welcome superheros back with open arms. You'd think that...but not everyone is pleased to have superhero's around, and will do anything thing to get rid of them. Even if it means to kill thousands of innocent people.

The only reason why I give this book 4 starts and not 5 is because of the language. It's not worse than a PG movie, but I guess I have a problem with language in books for kids. That's the only reason why this isn't 5 stars.

This is a great start to a promising series. This has a lot of plot twists, turns and fantastic characters and very good writing.

I highly suggest this series. I can't wait to read the rest of them. ( )
  Reacherfan | Feb 11, 2010 |
An interesting book at the least, although it might not appeal to some.

I very much enjoyed reading this book. ( )
  6M2008 | Sep 8, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,343,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible