The Girl with the Make-Believe Husband by…

The Girl with the Make-Believe Husband

by Julia Quinn

Series: Rokesbys (2)

1941285,855 (3.72)12

2.5*
Review in Portuguese:

After reading the first book of the Bridgerton’s prequel, I couldn’t wait to go and buy the second one. But this one was, clearly (and sadly), behind it.

I’m going to be honest with you, I don’t like romances based on lies. It’s true that this one had a real valid reason for its lies, but it didn’t start very well for me.

Celia is a character that I’m not sure I like…. I’m more inclined for the negative. Edward, yes, Celia… She had so many opportunities to tell the truth and in the end she runs away?!?! No, I think I can clearly say I don’t like her.

I didn’t laugh with this book, I didn’t have fun with it… I might have had a smile or two for Edward’s jokes, but that was it.

It was just bad luck that I read it right after such a good book like Because of Miss Bridgerton. This one doesn’t even come close to it. It’s not bad, it just didn’t seem written by the same author and the story didn’t do it for me.

It ended up being a disappointment. ( )
  Joana_v_v | Aug 10, 2018 |
The Girl with the Make-Believe Husband
3.5 Stars

Cecelia Harcourt travels to Colonial New York to care for her injured brother, but upon her arrival discovers that he is missing and his best friend, Edward Rokesby, is in a coma. Under the pretense of being his wife, Cecelia nurses Edward back to consciousness, but soon discovers that he has no memory. As Cecelia and Edward grow closer, Cecelia's dilemma increases. Should she tell him of her deception or keep it secret to discover what happened to her brother? Will Edward forgive her once he realizes the truth?

A well-written and engaging story, but the keeping secrets trope is annoying and undermines the romance for much of the book.

Cecelia's courage and devotion make her an admirable heroine, and the initial reasons for her deception are understandable. Nevertheless, her continued lying and attempts to conceal the truth are inexcusable, especially once she learns of her brother's fate.

Edward is a wonderful hero. Decent, caring and loyal, he does not deserve Cecelia's lies and Quinn is forced to work hard to redeem her heroine and create a satisfying romance. Although she is successful and the final chapters are lovely, it is all bittersweet due to Cecelia's actions throughout.

The mystery revolving around Thomas Harcourt's disappearance has the potential for exciting intrigue, but the eventual explanation is nonsensical and glossed over too easily and too quickly.

In sum, not Quinn's best work, but her writing is excellent and the letters at the beginning of each chapter are charming and go a long way to making Edward and Cecelia's relationship believable. Looking forward to the next installment in the Rokesbys series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Takes place during the Revoluntary War. Cecelia sails from England to NY to look for MIA brother and when she arrives. the only lead she has is that his best friend Edward is in the hospital suffering in a coma from an injury to his head. In order to be allowed to see him, she must be a family member and she claims she is his wife. After taking care of him for weeks, he wakes and is astonished to see her and says her name, Cecelia. His commanding officer now has no doubt that they are married. Slowly Edward gets better but still has amnesia while they try to find out what happed to Thomas. They fall more and more in love before all the secrets come out. ( )
  Kathy89 | Jan 4, 2018 |
A lovely retelling of the marriage of convenience/pretend marriage trope. Julia Quinn has done a beautiful job with the Bridgertons and this prequel is every bit as good.

One small point - I couldn't understand why Lady Margaret didn't inquire into Cecilia's health when they were unable to attend the gathering. As his godmother and certainly a force in his life, for her to remain absent as long as she did felt off to me. In spite of that, I loved this story from start to finish. In fact, I fell in love with Rokesby, and I don't have a lot of book boyfriends, so well done. ( )
  Karla.Brandenburg | Dec 12, 2017 |
Good book. Cecilia is alone in the world after her father's death, except for her brother, a Captain in the army who is posted in the Colonies, and a very unpleasant cousin. When she receives word that her brother has been injured and her cousin makes unwelcome advances, she takes ship for America to nurse Thomas back to health. Unfortunately, when she arrives, Thomas is missing, and no one can tell her anything about him. She does discover that Thomas's best friend, Edward Rokesby, is in the hospital in a coma. If she can't help Thomas, at least she can help his friend - except that the powers-that-be won't allow anyone but family into the hospital. Desperate to help, she declares that she is Edward's wife, not thinking what will happen when he wakes up and exposes her lie.

When Edward regains consciousness, he's very confused. First, he's missing a large chunk of his memories from the last several months. Second, he recognizes Cecilia as his friend's sister, thanks to a miniature that Thomas had, but he doesn't remember marrying her. But with everyone around him treating her as such, he allows himself to be convinced.

I enjoyed the development of Edward and Cecilia's relationship. They had already become friends thanks to a long-running correspondence through sharing Thomas's letters. I loved the excerpts from those letters included at the beginning of each chapter. Each one showed a little bit more of the progression of their friendship. With Edward's release from the hospital, they are thrown into constant contact with each other. They are brought closer by their shared concern for Thomas and their determination to discover what had happened to him. Proximity also brings out other things. Edward is attracted to the woman he believes he is married to, but can't do anything about it until he is more fully recovered. I also loved his protective streak, as he found himself wanting to save her from worry over her brother. It was also sweet to see his realization that he had started to love her through her letters and to get to know her had finished the job. Cecilia has a rougher time of it. There is no doubt in her mind about how deeply she cares for Edward, but she feels horribly guilty about the lies she has told. First, she worries that telling him the truth could cause a relapse. She also fears what will happen to her once she does. Then the lies keep building up, and she continues to put off telling him the truth. She knows she has to tell him before he regains his memory, but she just can't bring herself to do it. I ached for Edward when the truth came out, first for his sense of betrayal and then for his fear that she doesn't really care about him. Cecilia's love for Edward has her wanting what is best for him, which she feels is not her. She can't bring herself to tell him face-to-face and tries to escape on her own. Edward's big moment is romantic and amusing, thanks to Cecilia's cabinmate and the ship's captain. The epilogue was great and has me anxiously awaiting Andrew's story.

The concurrent story of Thomas's whereabouts and what led to Edward's injury and memory loss was interesting. Edward's frustration over being unable to remember what had happened to him was obvious and heartbreaking. I fully understood his anger with his commander once his memories did return. I ached for both Edward and Cecilia as they learned more about what had happened to Thomas. Thomas's letter to Edward just about broke my heart.

I loved the setting of the American Colonies during the Revolutionary War. It is a time period rarely used during historical romances which is too bad. It seems to me that there is great opportunity for some more unusual storylines. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Oct 17, 2017 |
Manhattan Island
June 1779

His head hurt.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062388177, Mass Market Paperback)

While you were sleeping...

I told everyone I was your wife

When Edward comes to, he's more than a little confused. The blow to his head knocked out six months of his memory, but surely he would recall getting married. He knows who Cecilia Harcourt is—even if he does not recall her face—and with everyone calling her his wife, he decides it must be true, even though he'd always assumed he'd marry his neighbor back in England.

If only it were true...

Cecilia risks her entire future by giving herself—completely—to the man she loves. But when the truth comes out, Edward may have a few surprises of his own for the new Mrs. Rokesby.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 18 Oct 2016 20:44:02 -0400)

While you were sleeping... With her brother Thomas injured on the battlefront in the Colonies, orphaned Cecilia Harcourt has two unbearable choices: move in with a maiden aunt or marry a scheming cousin. Instead, she chooses option three and travels across the Atlantic, determined to nurse her brother back to health. But after a week of searching, she finds not her brother but his best friend, the handsome officer Edward Rokesby. He's unconscious and in desperate need of her care, and Cecilia vows that she will save this soldier's life, even if staying by his side means telling one little lie... I told everyone I was your wife When Edward comes to, he's more than a little confused. The blow to his head knocked out three months of his memory, but surely he would recall getting married. He knows who Cecilia Harcourt is--even if he does not recall her face--and with everyone calling her his wife, he decides it must be true, even though he'd always assumed he'd marry his neighbor back in England. If only it were true... Cecilia risks her entire future by giving herself--completely--to the man she loves. But when the truth comes out, Edward may have a few surprises of his own for the new Mrs. Rokesby.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,983,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible