When the English Fall (2017)

by David Williams

Seen through the diary of Jacob, an Amish farmer trying to protect his family and his way of life, the book examines the idea of peace in the face of deadly chaos when an Amish community in Pennsylvania is caught up in the devastating aftermath of a catastrophic solar storm and the subsequent collapse of modern civilization.… (more)

"That is part of the greatest danger to our souls, a pride that can come when we set ourselves apart to be servants, but then assume that our servanthood makes us better" (Page 167).

What happens to Amish when the world of The English doesn't hold?
As people discover that all their modern day conveniences and luxuries stop working, they seek out the help of the Amish, with devastating consequences for both societies. This debut novel is as much a meditation on the ways of Amish & the past it is a reflection of today's world and possible future. ( )
  ShannonRose4 | Sep 15, 2020 |

What happens to Amish when the world of The English doesn't hold?
  ShannonRose4 | Sep 15, 2020 |
I didn't enjoy this and would have given up early if it hadn't been so short. I forced myself to keep reading, thinking that there must be something more later. There wasn't. ( )
  MarthaJeanne | May 20, 2020 |
4.5 stars. Spare, moving, and suffused with unexpected bursts of beauty in the midst of a fallen world. I wish Jacob and his family well. ( )
  ChristopherSwann | May 15, 2020 |
This is a good read, compelling in its description of Amish community life and how one lives day to day embracing Christ's teachings against pride and violence, even in self-defense. As an atheist, this was outside my "comfort zone" but I had no trouble empathizing with Jacob and his family as they endure a catastrophe that puts all of humanity in the pre-electric age. ( )
  ThomasPluck | Apr 27, 2020 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,061,091 books! | Top bar: Always visible