The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by…

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue

by Mackenzi Lee

Series: Gentleman's Guide (1)

This is not only a great book to see a main character, and not so stereotypical, as a gay male in the 17th century. It dealt with with the obstacles we have had to face throughout time, discrimination and hiding ourselves from the public, as well as feminism and racism. It was funny as all get out. Great humor, coupled with suspense and action as our unlikely trio from England must journey through France and Italy to find the answer to a puzzle box. Ya know, like the one Da Vinci had in DaVinci Code. LOVED IT ( )
  MrNattania | Jul 29, 2018 |
*happy sigh* This book was SOOOOOO ROMANTIC!!! I listened to the audiobook, and Christian Coulson (aka Tom Riddle from Chamber of Secrets) was such a good narrator. I actually started imagining Monty looking kind of like Christian Coulson, haha. I loved his accents and voices for various characters, and I appreciated that when he was portraying female characters he didn't make his voice high-pitched and ridiculous. It was just delightful. Exciting, adventurous, romantic, hilarious, and just so much fun. I can't recommend this one enough. ( )
  captainmander | Jul 19, 2018 |
Henry Montague is a ne'er do well who is in love with his best friend, Percy. His father beats him senseless periodically over his "affliction" for boys and his lack of responsibility. Before settling down into his father's business and the peerage, Henry is determined to have his Grand Tour of Europe with Percy. Along for good measure is his sister, Felicity. Between the 3 of them, they get into many adventures due to Monty stealing a puzzle box from the Duke of Bourbon of France, trying to return it to its rightful owner, get robbed by highwaymen, kidnapped by pirates and in general get themselves into quite the messes all while falling deeper in love and gaining some maturation. ( )
  phoenixcomet | Jul 17, 2018 |
This is an absolutely charming and fun book, and Christian Coulson is a fantastic narrator. Can't wait to read Felicity's book! ( )
  stellar_raven | Jun 11, 2018 |
Rating – 4.25 out of 5
In The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee, Henry “Monty” Montague is looking for adventure. With things being tense at home and a future of taking care of the family money not his cup of tea, Monty is looking for an adventure of a lifetime. His deliverance has come in the form of his grand tour which is to be taken with his best friend and complete crush Percy. While just starting their tour things go awry and the two boys and Monty’s sister, Felicity find themselves on the run and with a question they must answer. Spanning Europe their escapade becomes one that none of them will forget. Read the rest of my review - https://bythecoverreview.com/2018/06/03/the-gentlemans-guide-to-vice-and-virtue-by-mackenzi-lee/ ( )
  bythecoverreview | Jun 3, 2018 |

Curtis, DavidMap artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McAulay, LizCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weise, CarlaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
He saunter’d Europe round,

And gather’d ev’ry vice on Christian ground; . . .

The Stews and Palace equally explored,

Intrigued with glory, and with spirit whored;

Tried all hors-d’œuvres, all liqueurs defined,

Judicious drank, and greatly daring dined.

—Alexander Pope, The Dunciad

Let me put it like this. In this place, whoever looks seriously about him and has eyes to see is bound to become a stronger character.
—Goethe, Italian Journey
FOR BRIANA AND BETH

L’AMOUR PEUT SOULEVER DES MONTAGNES.
On the morning we are to leave for our Grand Tour of the Continent, I wake in bed beside Percy.

Henry "Monty" Montague was bred to be a gentleman. His passions for gambling halls, late nights spent with a bottle of spirits, or waking up in the arms of women or men, have earned the disapproval of his father. His quest for pleasures and vices have led to one last hedonistic hurrah as Monty, his best friend and crush Percy, and Monty's sister Felicity begin a Grand Tour of Europe. When a reckless decision turns their trip abroad into a harrowing manhunt, it calls into question everything Monty knows, including his relationship with the boy he adores.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,812,061 books! | Top bar: Always visible