The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue

by Mackenzi Lee

Series: Montague Siblings (1)

Henry "Monty" Montague was bred to be a gentleman. His passions for gambling halls, late nights spent with a bottle of spirits, or waking up in the arms of women or men, have earned the disapproval of his father. His quest for pleasures and vices have led to one last hedonistic hurrah as Monty, his best friend and crush Percy, and Monty's sister Felicity begin a Grand Tour of Europe. When a reckless decision turns their trip abroad into a harrowing manhunt, it calls into question everything Monty knows, including his relationship with the boy he adores.… (more)
    An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books feature a small group of young adults trying to solve a mystery. They both have funny parts but also deal with serious issues surrounding identity and have a bit of violence.
    Carry On by Rainbow Rowell (tralliott)

English (128)  Dutch (1)  All languages (129)
In the 1720s Henry Montague aka Monty sets out on the Grand Tour with his sister Felicity, and his best friend. Percy. After shenanigans at Versailles and an encounter with highwaymen they are forced to go on the run.

Unconvincing, as our three heroes seem to be 21st century people in 18th century clothes and there were some details where I was wondering whether the writer had done her homework properly. Although it wasn't so bad that I wanted to DNF it, it didn't really grip me either. I certainly don't see why it won so many awards. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Aug 5, 2022 |
I really enjoyed all the characters in this book and the plot was quite exciting. While some things seemed a bit historically inaccurate (besides the obvious magic/alchemical plot piece), the author did a good job of recreating a world of the 1700s upper-class and aristocracy but also the different types of people around the continent that they could encounter on The Tour. However, I wish the author kept it more in the realistic realm and didn't delve into the fantastical for a plot line. I think it would have been more interesting that instead of encountering an actual magical heart in an actual undead woman buried on a sinking island paved with bones, that they opened the tomb to find it wasn't what it was promised to be - that could have caused the same events to take place, but without any out-of-place fantasy elements. Overall, thoroughly enjoyed and I really hope to see more of Monty and Percy, especially since we don't actually know what happens to them once they get back to England or if they ever do. ( )
  brittaniethekid | Jul 7, 2022 |
This book was such a wild ride. One that I enjoyed the entire time. This book was something that I needed to read. It was such a fun read even though it still hurt a lot in several parts. The writing was beautiful and I know that I will continue reading not only her books but I will 200% continue reading more of these characters' stories. It did not hurt me though it did fill me with what I could only describe as sunshine (on a cloudy day). But it's sunshine nonetheless. ( )
  mythical_library | Jun 14, 2022 |
Ok, I think the pluses here outweigh the minuses -- poc character in historical context. LGBTQ in historical context. A strong statement on abuse and power. A strong, smart woman who finds her way. A thoughtful look at the consequences for the choices the characters. Oh! And a hard look at how epilepsy was regarded and the horrifying attitude to 'mental health'. All of these things are spectacular.

Things I don't love so much -- while I get that a big part of the story is the gradual maturing of the main character, boy that was a long and painful process. Props for realism, but less of a delightful read for all that. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
I didn't seem to like this as much as many others. I found the miscommunications hard to believe and Monty annoyed me through most of the book. I liked the ending, though. Maybe 3.5 stars. ( )
  Dairyqueen84 | Mar 15, 2022 |

McAulay, LizCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weise, CarlaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

He saunter’d Europe round,

And gather’d ev’ry vice on Christian ground; . . .

The Stews and Palace equally explored,

Intrigued with glory, and with spirit whored;

Tried all hors-d’œuvres, all liqueurs defined,

Judicious drank, and greatly daring dined.

—Alexander Pope, The Dunciad

Let me put it like this. In this place, whoever looks seriously about him and has eyes to see is bound to become a stronger character.
—Goethe, Italian Journey
FOR BRIANA AND BETH

L’AMOUR PEUT SOULEVER DES MONTAGNES.
On the morning we are to leave for our Grand Tour of the Continent, I wake in bed beside Percy.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,583,720 books! | Top bar: Always visible