Imaginary Vessels by Paisley Rekdal

Imaginary Vessels

by Paisley Rekdal

221720,444 (4)None
""Compelling, appealing, cinematic. Rekdal refreshes the meaning and the image of being displaced in this world." -The Boston Globe "Rekdal's work deeply satisfies, for it witnesses and wonders over the necessary struggles of human awareness and being." -Rain Taxi "In acknowledging the disappointing facts of our existence and singing her way into its amazement, she has created poetry that lives alongside the misery we sometimes witness-and sometimes cause." -Slate Paisley Rekdal questions how identity and being inhabit metaphorical and personified "vessels," from blown glass and soap bubbles to skulls unearthed at the Colorado State Mental Institution. Whether writing short lyrics or a sonnet sequence celebrating Mae West, Rekdal's intellectually inquisitive and carefully researched poems delight in sound, meter, and head-on engagement. Illustrated with twelve Andrea Modica photographs. From "You're": Vague as fog and turnip-hipped, a creel of eels that slithers in stains. Dirty slate, you're Diamond Lil. She's you, you say. You're her. She's I. O Mae, fifth grade, we dressed in feathers and our mothers' slit pink slips, dipped into your schema and your accent, aspiring (like you) to be able to order coffee and have it sound like filth. Paisley Rekdal is the author of four books of poetry, a book of personal essays, and a mixed media book of photography, poetry, fiction and non-fiction. She lives in Salt Lake City and teaches at the University of Utah"--… (more)

Rekdal is very much the cerebral poet (rather than a more visceral/emotional one), which, for me, at times makes it hard to connect. However, she is so smart, and her topics, her gaze, cover such a wide an interesting range, that it will be worth your effort to seek this volume out and spend some time with it. (Brian) ( )
  ShawIslandLibrary | Apr 24, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,870,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible