Midwinter by Fiona Melrose

Midwinter (2016)

by Fiona Melrose

Oh my goodness this is so, so sad. Really sad. Beautiful and lyrical, complex and grounding - but so sad! A father and son are learning how to live, to grieve and to communicate in the years following the death of Landyn's wife / Vale's Mum. Tragedy and emotion weigh heavy on the farm, the atmosphere is thick and oppressive, but full of love and a deep sense of unconditional love. In amongst the lives of the humans, animals appear and tangle themselves in the hauntings. Dogs, pigs, and a fox - all allow the men to show them love, to connect to their spirit and offer them strength and hope to continue. A powerful novel - but on tot read when you're feeling strong. ( )
  Mitch1 | Mar 25, 2018 |
Vale Midwinter lives on a farm with his father. His mother died whilst they lived out in Zimbabwe. Things have been strained between father and son. Vale and his friend Tom have a boating accident one night which doesn't really help matters.

I have read this book for book group, and with it's title and it being December I thought it was going to be a Christmas themed read. I was wrong.

This book for me was depressing. I couldn't fault the narrative of both Vale and Landry and really only kept on ploughing through just to see what happened. As it was for me, nothing much.

Not really a lot I can say about this book. I didn't really enjoy it, not a lot happened and I found it very depressing. ( )
  tina1969 | Dec 31, 2017 |
Prologue

Think about a fox.

Father and son, Landyn and Vale Midwinter are Suffolk farmers, living together on land their family has worked for generations. But they are haunted there by a past they have long refused to confront: the death of Cecelia, beloved wife and mother, when Vale was just a child. Both men have carried her loss, unspoken. Until now.

With the onset of a mauling winter, something between them snaps.

While Vale makes increasingly desperate decisions, Landyn retreats, finding solace in the land, his animals - and a vixen who haunts the farm and seems to bring with her both comfort and protection.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 147215178X, Hardcover)

Father and Son, Landyn and Vale Midwinter, are men of the land. Suffolk farmers. Times are hard and they struggle to sustain their property, their livelihood and their heritage in the face of competition from big business. But an even bigger, more brutal fight is brewing: a fight between each other, about the horrible death of Cecelia, beloved wife and mother, in Zambia ten years earlier. A past they have both refused to confront until now. Over the course of a particularly mauling Suffolk winter, Landyn and Vale grapple with their memories and their pain, raking over what remains of their fragile family unit, constantly at odds and under threat of falling apart forever. While Vale makes increasingly desperate decisions, Landyn retreats, finding solace in the land, his animals - and a fox who haunts the farm and seems to bring with her both comfort and protection. Alive to language and nature, Midwinter is a novel about guilt, blame and lost opportunities. Ultimately it is a story about love and the lengths we will go to find our way home.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 04 Nov 2016 12:34:01 -0400)

Father and son, Landyn and Vale Midwinter, are men of the land. Suffolk farmers. Times are hard and they struggle to sustain their property, their livelihood and their heritage in the face of competition from big business. But an even bigger, more brutal fight is brewing: a fight between each other, about the horrible death of Cecelia, beloved wife and mother, in Zambia ten years earlier. A past they have both refused to confront until now. Over the course of a particularly mauling Suffolk winter, Landyn and Vale grapple with their memories and their pain, raking over what remains of their fragile family unit, constantly at odds and under threat of falling apart forever. While Vale makes increasingly desperate decisions, Landyn retreats, finding solace in the land, his animals - and a fox who haunts the farm and seems to bring with her both comfort and protection.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,829,258 books! | Top bar: Always visible