Dragonsbane (1986)

by Barbara Hambly

Series: Winterlands (1)

When the Black Dragon seizes the Deep of Ylferdun, John Aversin, the only living man ever to slay a dragon agrees to challenge the dragon, accompanied by Jenny Waynest, a half-taught sorceress and the mother of his sons.
    A Wind out of Indigo (The Winds of Halflight) by Callan Primer (bmlg)
    bmlg: A pragmatic, mature heroine dealing with dangers physical and political in a well-realised world.

As expected (it is a Hambly), a very rich, well-written tale, with a lot of desperation points and hard choices. It's all Jenny's viewpoint, I'd have been interested to see what John thought now and then. I like the choice she finally made - I'd been thinking about it much earlier, when she first met Zyene. Magic makes magic - but what's the point of it? The dragon is fascinating, a very alien thought process (we see more of his thoughts than John's...). Rich and grim - I have the rest of the series as well, but no way I could read them in quick succession. I'll take a break between each book - though I will read the whole series. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jan 8, 2021 |
Unexpected and lovely. An excellent and unusual heroine. ( )
  elenaj | Jul 31, 2020 |
Hambly is such a beautiful writer. I love her dragons. ( )
  being_b | Jan 8, 2020 |
An excellent book with a strong female protagonist and her partner. Lord John Aversin is not your typical hero - he's pragmatic, down to earth and just as happy getting his boots muddy and talking about pigs.
He and Jenny Waynest have a very practical approach when it comes to tackling a dragon. None of this charging in with a lance (to the disappointment of young Gareth who sees life though the songs of the bards). They understand the strength and danger of a dragon and work out very carefully how to improve their odds of survival.

Jenny isn't a typical heroine either. She's no longer in the flush of youth, she has two sons and although she has magical abilities, they aren't strong. She has continual conflict deciding between her magic, which requires seclusion, and her family.

Dragons in this book are as I want them to be. Powerful, dangerous, but beautiful and magical the same time.

Jenny can fight one to save the people it would kill, but can also weep for the loss of something unique.

Recommended. ( )

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Is contained in

For Allan
Bandits often lay in wait in the ruins of the old town at the fourways -- Jenny Waynest thought there were three of them this morning.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,247,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible